2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

2 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Warford was an OG.  I really like Sweat and would have taken him over Ferrel.  Trade down was the proper move if we were not going to go after White, Allen, or Oliver.  2019 draft still bothers me.

Yeah I was okay with White, didn't want Allen (I was in the small hands group LOL), and didn't really think Oliver was going to be as great as everyone was saying.  His draft hype was through the roof.  I recall some posters and analysts saying he was a top 3 player in the draft.  I didn't agree with that.

Just now, Jerry said:

Yeah I was okay with White, didn't want Allen (I was in the small hands group LOL), and didn't really think Oliver was going to be as great as everyone was saying.  His draft hype was through the roof.  I recall some posters and analysts saying he was a top 3 player in the draft.  I didn't agree with that.

ICO Allen,  I also didn't think he would translate well to the 4-3.  I believed he was more built for a 3-4 OLB pass rushing role.

4 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Definitely and Gruden would probably prefer that.  Just as long as it is not a 3rd for a Steelers WR.

So help me.  We really need to call all the teams with bad salary cap situations and good/great DTs and try to make something work.

• Like 1

Just now, Jerry said:

ICO Allen,  I also didn't think he would translate well to the 4-3.  I believed he was more built for a 3-4 OLB pass rushing role.

Would be nice now that we are moving to a 4-3 under.  To much defensive talent in that draft to take Ferrel that high.  If we traded back into the 10-15 range and he was still there then I would not have been upset.  Just because he did not do anything at the combine would have knocked him out of the top ten.

15 hours ago, Jerry said:

If there was ever a season where we should just trade picks for proven vets, this is it.

So dumb. They should've adopted a similar concept to what the NBA did for the NBA combine. Instead of having it at a centralized location they had every player who was invited go to the closest NBA facility and do the workout with NBA personnel there that distributed video and test results to all 30 teams, IIRC. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

So dumb. They should've adopted a similar concept to what the NBA did for the NBA combine. Instead of having it at a centralized location they had every player who was invited go to the closest NBA facility and do the workout with NBA personnel there that distributed video and test results to all 30 teams, IIRC. 

Agree 100%.  Pro Days are going to be extremely important.  I would be recording all of them if I were the Raiders.

16 minutes ago, Jerry said:

So help me.  We really need to call all the teams with bad salary cap situations and good/great DTs and try to make something work.

The DT's all have huge dead money for the cap strapped teams.  We could go after Lattimore and/or Ramczyk from NO.  Both have zero dead money, are on their 5th year options, and NO is crewed on the cap.  $105 over without Brees and they have very little flexibility with dead money.

Last year was the year to go after a DT.

Edited by drfrey13

14 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

The DT's all have huge dead money for the cap strapped teams.  We could go after Lattimore and/or Ramczyk from NO.  Both have zero dead money, are on their 5th year options, and NO is crewed on the cap.  $105 over without Brees and they have very little flexibility with dead money.

Last year was the year to go after a DT.

Well we can always toss them a late 2022 pick lol.  I didn't do the research but apparently this is not the year to make a trade for DT.

30 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Would be nice now that we are moving to a 4-3 under.  To much defensive talent in that draft to take Ferrel that high.  If we traded back into the 10-15 range and he was still there then I would not have been upset.  Just because he did not do anything at the combine would have knocked him out of the top ten.

I think we have wanted to move back in several drafts and this was definitely one of them.  Ferrell at no point in time was worth the 4th pick overall.  I didn't want any of the players projected to us at the 4th pick.  I think we all knew after the first pick everyone else was essentially rated around the same level of play.  It was essentially a gamble at who was going to pan out and who wasn't.  A lot of posters were banging the table for explosive DEs (Sweat, Burns, Allen) and we went for the guy who didn't run the 40.  I knew going into this draft I was not going to be happy with whoever we picked if we picked at 4.  Ferrell will be a serviceable player but he won't be picked up for his 5th year option and if he is resigned, will be resigned at a deal making 3-4M a season.  Even at his best I do not think he will ever be a double digit sack artist.

9 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I always want to trade down too curious what’s your ideal but realist first round trade down for us?

Honestly idk.... it’s too early to predict possible trade down partners.... we need to at least see the player rankings shake out a bit.

but ideally I’d like to trade 17 down til the end of round 1 or top of round 2.  
Mayock HAS to be smart and trade down and get his guys at the lowest spot possible like he did with Mullen.  He traded down 2x and still landed him. 

I think we need to come away an extra 2nd, 3rd, 4th with something LIKE (key word being LIKE as this is an off the cuff mock):

27-35 DT Christian Barmore, DT, Alabama 

LV 2nd FS- Trevon Moehrig, FS, TCU

2nd CB Asante Samuel, CB, FSU

LV 3rd OT Jackson Carmen, OT, Clemson

3rd Joe Tyron, DE/OLB, Washington 

LV 4th Deonte Brown, G, Alabama

4th Ar’Darius Washington, SCB

LV 5th via Mia Khyiris Tonga, NT, BYU

LV 6th via Wash ???

LV 7th via Chi Jonathan Adams, WR, ArkSt

and we absolutely need to do wayyyy better with UDFAs... throwing all your money at Nick Bowers was a joke.  I don’t need UDFAs to make the team but if your smart you can fill Up the PS with quality young developmental players, especially in a year like this when players might not have the opportunity to rise from a UDFA to a mid round pick.

we need to come out of the draft and FA with 2-3 starters and 2-3 backups who actually contrubute.  That allows us to target some higher end FAs and not spend money on the FA backup types like Nassib, Collins, Etc and instead sign one too FA (Williams DT / Simmons FS) and one average starter and then a bunch of veterans on low cost “prove it” deals like Agholor got.

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

That is pretty crazy.  Ziggy and Slay were pretty good from what I can recall off the top of my head.  Not bad picks at all.  Don't recall who Warford is.  I don't follow college enough to write up a list of players I want through 3 rounds.  I typically follow just enough to figure out who I want in the first.  I did know though that I definitely wanted Winovich in the second.  I wanted him drafted with Mullens pick.  I can't recall exactly how I wanted it but I wanted Montez Sweat with one of our late firsts and I wanted Winovich in the second.  I recall wanting to trade back that draft.  Didn't feel a DE warranted the #4 pick after the first DE went off the board.  Would've been pretty cool to get Devin White at 4, Montez Sweat late in the first, and Winovich in the second, then Crosby in the 5th.  We would have solidified the DE position in one draft.

I’ve been on a roll lately ziggy, Van noy,  bud, tj watt, Werner lb BYU, The LSU lbs

6 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I’ve been on a roll lately ziggy, Van noy,  bud, tj watt, Werner lb BYU, The LSU lbs

Well crap man.  Go apply for the scouting department.  We clearly need your help.  Lol.  Man would that be an awesome job to have.