Jadeveon Clowney?

diamondbull424

First off let me start out by saying no, we have not signed him nor is there any speculation that we might.

However today at 4pm, players will no longer count against the 2021 compensatory formula.

Being one of the teams that care most about that in the NFL and considering the fact that we have not signed an edge rusher or even spent any major investment in the position in the draft (as we assumed we might), could there be a chance that the Ravens make a run at him?

Not trading Matt Judon could be the death knell as we haven’t the expansive amount of cap space for him to sign a crazy deal. But his demands have been forced to come down and perhaps if we can agree in principle to a deal, Judon would become expendable to whatever team loses out in the Clowney sweepstakes?

Probably won’t happen, but would be incredibly fun if it did. That front 7 would somehow be even more fierce. With Clowney in tow, I think we’d have an excellent chance of being one of the best rushing defenses in NFL history.

Edited by diamondbull424

Personally I can’t wait until he signs elsewhere and I don’t have to hear 40% of Ravens twitter/local radio call-ins center around getting this guy anymore lol.

He’s good but I can’t remember our fan base obsessing over getting a good/not elite player like him as much as they have with this guy. I get he makes some splash plays in the run game - when he actually wants to - but it’s not like we’re talking about a perennial 12 sack a season guy. Hell not even a perennial 9/10 sack a season guy. Our scheme and new personnel will help the front 7 get back to where we’ve been in the past next year...we don’t need a guy like Clowney to do that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I think the only way we could have gotten Clowney was by trading Judon and draft weekend was the latest that would have happened.

Looking like he's locked in on the Titans now. 

Unless a team didn't land a pass rusher in the draft and is willing to send a 2021 pick for him?

Why a team would do that while Clowney is still available w/o trade compensation required, I don't know.

1 minute ago, Ray Reed said:

Personally I can’t wait until he signs elsewhere and I don’t have to hear 40% of Ravens twitter/local radio call-ins center around getting this guy anymore lol.

He’s good but I can’t remember our fan base obsessing over getting a good/not elite player like him as much as they have with this guy. I get he makes some splash plays in the run game - when he actually wants to - but it’s not like we’re talking about a perennial 12 sack a season guy. Hell not even a perennial 9/10 sack a season guy. Our scheme and new personnel will help the front 7 get back to where we’ve been in the past next year...we don’t need a guy like Clowney to do that.

Judon is obviously not a perfect player by any stretch, but I do think it's worth remembering that he has 28.5 career sacks in 4 seasons (62 G; 36 GS), while Clowney has 32 across 6 seasons (75 G; 66 GS). 

• Like 1

I think we let it play out and see Judon continue to keep growing. He can certainly still improve at only 27 currently. Just don’t want to see a 5 year deal come across from EDC. Get another year out of him and attack the next draft for a replacement 

A year with the players on this front 7 will allow him to only increase his free agent value. Imagine all the unblocked sacks he will receive this year 

• Like 2

with siginificant upgrades on the interior DL i would expect Judons pure sack nos to increase.

no reason not to, everybody and their mother was crying for guys able to crush the pocket from the interior and rightfully so.
i don't think this team in its current state needs Clowney, i'd be disappointed if Judon, Ferguson and Bowser wouldn't profit on the presence of Campbell, Madubuike and Wolfe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, berlin calling said:

with siginificant upgrades on the interior DL i would expect Judons pure sack nos to increase.

no reason not to, everybody and their mother was crying for guys able to crush the pocket from the interior and rightfully so.
i don't think this team in its current state needs Clowney, i'd be disappointed if Judon, Ferguson and Bowser wouldn't profit on the presence of Campbell, Madubuike and Wolfe.

I think the rookie LBs may also add some wrinkles with respect to interior pressure that might help out the edge guys.

• Like 1