Texans release S Tashaun Gipson

ET80

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/texans-release-veteran-safety-tashaun-gipson

There is a lot of speculation that the move is a precursor to bringing in FA S Eric Reid (Eric's brother Justin is the other S on the team...)

Gipson played roughly about 10 games for the Texans as a rotational S. He had various ankle and shoulder injuries that hampered his impact.

• Like 1

Gipson such a weird player. Decent player early on, then absolutely showed out as a single-high ballhawk. Then sort of fell back to earth before being a more traditional safety and excelling at things like tight end coverage. Never know what kind of season you’ll get out of this guy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Then sort of fell back to earth before being a more traditional safety and excelling at things like tight end coverage. 

He's still a pretty good TE coverage guy - it was noticable when he was out. He erased TE Travis Kelce to the tune of 4/58/0 in the Regular Season W, but Gipson didn't play in the playoffs and Kelce made up for lost stats in the rematch, going 10/134/3.

Had Gipson been out there...well, he probably gets abused in the same way. But a guy can dream, right?

GIp was an awesome player for us, he was never the same after a knee injury, Joe haden took him out, he was about to pick off Matt Ryan in 2014. 

I find it perplexing that you cut him after signing Murray to a similair contract, Murray isnt half the player that Gip is/was maybe. 

Anyway, will always have a soft spot for Gipson, great career for  a UDFA. 

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I think the Skins taking one year flyers on him and Davis could be intriguing as bouncebacks.

I really like(d) Gipson and wish the Browns wouldn't have let him go a few years ago. He's an ideal FS and has a lot of value against TE in pass coverage. He's OK at best against the run, but he's definitely got some ballhawk skills.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I find it perplexing that you cut him after signing Murray to a similair contract, Murray isnt half the player that Gip is/was maybe. 

Far be it for me to try to predict Wild Bill O'Brien, but I think this is predicating Eric Reid joining the Texans - Justin Reid has been advocating for his older brother, so it could be a potential upgrade.