How many more games before Britt is Benched??

Mind Character

Is Britt really a bum?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. How many more games before Britt is Benched??

• 1 more game
    • 2 more games
    • 3-5 more games
    • He'll be benched half way through the season
    • Have you seen our other receivers?? He'll start the rest of the year

Is Kenny Britt really a bum??

I took another look at Deshone's INT on the pass intended for Kenny Britt to see who was at fault and what was exactly going on...

The Britt play in question can be seen at 5:40 (for a better eye in the sky view 5:54) in the following video link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz1l4jMCVy0

But i chopped up the passing picture b/c it takes like 4 minutes total to do so when gifs take like 30 mins or so.

----------------------------------------------------------

1. Here's the pre-snap picture (CB in press on Britt shaded to the outside b/c he knows he'll have inside leverage). In this cover-3 under with press man CB responsibilities, the OLB (Could also functionally be a safety position player but functionally is lined up like an OLB) is shaded on the outside hip of the Wide-9 aligned defensive end to Britt's side of the field because he's going to drop in an under zone. Note that the "MLB" (could actually be a safety position player but functionally looks like a MLB) is lined up all the way between the hashes/Colts helmet emblem looking at the RG. He's going to drop into a zone. These 3-players are going to bracket Britt. Let's see how the play unfolds

QfumTVK.jpg

2. Britt Beats the press well gaining inside leverage but the DB is all that worried about giving up the inside b/c he has help there.

0zQVdKU.jpg

3. Britt now with inside leverage begins to get up field before breaking inside on a post route. See the OLB dropping into zone to leverage defend Britt's route from the inside; See MLB running to bracket zone to take away and defend the post squeezing the completion area on a post route if one should be run.

kwB1vcK.jpg

4. Kizer starts his windup. Here we see Kizer has already identified where to put the ball and where not to. The number threats are do not leave the ball short so the OLB playing the under zone can get it and most importantly do not leave the ball inside for the MLB who is spying Kizer's eyes and breaking hard at this point to disrupt the post. The goal against this cover 3 look for the WR especially for a vet with knowledge is to break the post route off inside the zone defender bracket and to not overrun it b/c the MLB breaking on the ball will either intercept it, have a good chance to deflect the ball, end the WRs career, or all 3. Kizer sees it right at this point. Let's see where the ball goes.

hWIqOq5.jpg

5. Ball released. Now we can see Kizer's throwing goal more clearly...you throw beyond the back of the under zone LB but not too far (where the hashes are) b/c the MLB is breaking on the ball.

j5f5cqa.jpg

5. The ball is out and it's game over for the defense. The under zone LB/S back is turned and he's a non threat. The outside DB is beat and pointing inside to the MLB to see the post therefore the DB is a non threat. The only threat left is the Spying zone MLB/S. To beat this guy is the WRs responsibility. Britt as a veteran has to know that the ball is already out when he breaks inside on the post and that he needs to slow down and settle into the zone or just sit down on the route. Where Britt is now is basically where the ball ends up.

cuGo9X1.jpg

6. This is actually where the ball eventually goes. Now, in real time, Britt is blazing out of his routes and gives no thought to putting on the brakes.

jefEfdt.jpg

7, Here is the point when Britt realizes the ball has long since been in flight and he needs to put on the brakes, but it's just too late. You can see he's to a few yards to far off target and has to start to turn his body to make an attempt on the catch.

23a9u6x.jpg

8. Momentum carries him even further toward the hashes. This is a great shot b/c you can see how if Britt actually continued to where his body momentum was taking him instead of slamming on the brakes and reaching back that MLB is now on the opposite side of the outer hash and would've had a great opportunity to disrupt if not intercept the throw.

H859k2U.jpg

9. Poor route, poor recognition at the line of what as a WR he needed to accomplishes. Reaches behind himself for the ball. Still gets two hands on it, but ultimately cannot come up with the catch

2fN8ovy.jpg

Simply put...that INT is on Britt 100%. What's great about it is that Kizer put the blame on himself completely.

However, Hue mentioned in his press conference (Hue actually watches critical turnovers before he heads to his press conference and has done so since his Oakland days). Hue rightly mentions something along the lines of "I understand what Deshone was trying to do avoid the Safety (LB) and tried to slow Kenny down...it's unfortunate Kenny couldn't slow down...blah blah.."

-------------------------------------------------------

So, to really understand who's at fault on this play the questions are: 1.) What is the WRs responsibility on that play?, 2.) Did he execute his responsibility?, 3.) Relative to his responsibility was the QBs pass on target/catchable? & 4.) Could the QB have put the ball elsewhere?

The WRs responsibility was to settle and/or settle in the zone, Britt did no execute his responsibility, relative to Britt's route responsibility Kizer ball placement was on target and catchable, and Kizer couldn't have really put the ball elsewhere (there may have been just a little bit of room inside but as a QB you want to err on the side of caution and if he did it could have been a catastrophic tip drill INT all the same.

---------------------------------------------------------

Kizer also took responsibility for the Kasen Williams throw.

Now, I don't know if Williams was supposed to run inside or out.

What I do know is that Kizer threw the ball with anticipation before Williams broke out of his route.

Hjw0VN1.jpg

Hue seemed to indicate that Kizer was wrong. It would be interesting and really better for the evaluation of Kizer if he had a mental lapse and thought Kasen would be breaking outside. In that case, the ball would've been an accurate one if Kasen broke the route. This would be an upgrade on just the really bad accuracy Kizer displayed on the Higgins Touchdown INT, and would mean that Kizer really didn't throw inaccurate interceptions this game (the Britt INT is on Britt; the Williams INT was do to poor mental recognition and not arm inaccuracy; and the last one was just an end of the game shot).

For now, I'm going to chart the Kasen Williams INT just like the Higgins one; that is, just an inaccurate ball. I'm doing so b/c the leverage Williams had really dictated that the ball be thrown inside.

So, for the game Kizer really only threw 1 INT on him but an argument can be made if one likes for the Hooker INT being on him as well.

Deshone needs to elevate his game. He showed a lot of positive signs in this game, but still has a ton to improve on.

It obviously would help a ton if the WRs caught the ball and/or ran the correct route assignments.

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Don't position coaches make the call as to who the starters are?

Wouldnt that be your boy Al?

I don’t think so. I don’t think he has much input in that. Otherwise guys like hartline and Hawkins wouldn’t have been let go. He was upset with that. 

Im skeptical that he will. Not to say that he shouldn't. He's worthless. However, in Hue's mind I'm guessing, he's the only high upside guy who might be able to create, beat his man, and make a play. Beyond him, we have fringe roster guys at WR. At this point, that's what Kenny is too. Britt is the lone wolf with the talent that he shouldn't be, though.

My personal views aside... I think Britt will play out the rest of the season. We paid too much for him to collect dust n pay checks. Maybe he'll use his veteran powers and learn how to play with Kizer. His count to show me something is still 3 good games in a row. Until then I'll bash him any chance I get. 

that is all

Mastercheddaar

Archived