Patriots FB James Develin announces his retirement

NJerseypaint

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

Also, @Fullback.

As I take pride in lead blockers, kudos to James Develin on a great career!

A serious neck injury at a position where forceful collisions are your bread and butter, so it was a wise decision by him. Apparently he could've toughed it out but after the 2 opening games he knew that he couldn't play at his desired level anymore. At that point he made up his mind to hang em up. Tbh Develin was lucky to get picked up by the Pats who love Fullbacks and know how to use them. Strong as an ox and mentally tough, Develin hardly ever missed one of his targets when paving the way for his RB and when possible he dished out big blows. Legendary and never forgotten will be their 2018 Superbowl winning season in which he had a career high 6 carries for 4 TDs!

Hats off to the last true lead blocker who couldn't be denied once you were in his strike zone!

• Like 4

I'm gonna miss him. I still remember that Texans game where they were up 17 to 7 and its first and goal from the one. He gets the hand off, get stopped at the line, but he doesn't give up on the play, not once but 3 times before he breaks away and gets the touchdown. I wish him the best of luck in retirement.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Shocked no one has mentioned his HOF odds thus far...

Looking at his winning ability one would say immediately, “He must be a Hall of Famer”. But looking a little closer at his production otherwise, the odds of his getting in are pretty low I must say. Just goes to show, you can win a lot of James, but the Develin’s the details.

Edited by DoleINGout
  • Like 10

12 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Looking at his winning ability one would say immediately, “He must be a Hall of Famer”. But looking a little closer at his production otherwise, the odds of his getting in are pretty low I must say. Just goes to show, you can win a lot of James, but the Develin’s the details.

Fine. Have a like.

With that said, it feels like the Patriots are losing everybody from recent years that I have grew to love. Wish him the best, all the same...

1 hour ago, TomRalph said:

GTFO

As far as a teammate, he is elite as Belichick put it. However as a player, he led blocked and that was all. His presence on the field made it obvious to defenses when the Patriots were running as opposed to passing. I will not miss Develin on the field. They replaced him with Jakob Johnson just last season before he got injured too. I have much more confidence in Dan Vitale than either Johnson or Develin.

As for being apart of the team, I will miss him. By all accounts a great person.