Everything Offseason Programs (OTA's and more)

RaidersAreOne

18 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I think Agholor will be a contributor to the team, albeit a small one.  I’d like to see him Supplement Renfrow in the slot and used mainly as a check down option, Mainly with those long, short crossing routes where he can find a soft spot in a zone or near a LB and use his speed to turn up field and get Yards After Catch.  

The real question is who ends up being the WR4: Zay Jones or Nelson Agholor? and how much do they contribute?

After our top 3 in Ruggs, Williams, and Renfrow, I'd personally prefer having Waller and either Witten/Moreau on the field.  We can be a really versatile team with a 4 WR set with Waller going out to play WR and keeping either Witten/Moreau at TE.  I think Gruden is going to scheme a lot of 2/3 TE sets knowing they're mismatches.  Just my opinion.  I think our WR4 isn't going to see many snaps if the TE's and WR's stay healthy.

6 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I often feel that SOME of these new age training exercises are BS.  These trainers are selling themselves and they workouts as a brand.  And in order to be “cutting edge” and make catchy videos for social media marketing there’s an incentive to be extr fancy and unique.  I feel they get “too cute” with the exercises sometimes.  

For reals. Should be tossing him bricks like Rice use to do back in the day lol.... they should have 3 different people from different angles tossing him balls as he is moving in a square rotation.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

For reals. Should be tossing him bricks like Rice use to do back in the day lol.... they should have 3 different people from different angles tossing him balls as he is moving in a square rotation.

There’s gotta be something to the brick catching.... it hardens your hands.... 

It’s like there’s no substitute for “country strong”... fancy exercises are nice but growing up working on a farm or in construction from a young age can’t be replicated and replaced.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

It’s like there’s no substitute for “country strong”... fancy exercises are nice but growing up working on a farm or in construction from a young age can’t be replicated and replaced.

It strengthens and softens your hands.  Imagine trying to catch a brick with another brick as opposed to a pillow.  To catch something hard you must become soft.  You are slowing down the pace of the ball with your hands and the softer they are the longer the time you decelerate the ball which reduces the force applied back onto the ball within a given period of time.  Extending your arms and bringing them in with the ball increases this effect.  Your shoulders to your fingertips need to be shock absorbers.  

38 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

It strengthens and softens your hands.  Imagine trying to catch a brick with another brick as opposed to a pillow.  To catch something hard you must become soft.  You are slowing down the pace of the ball with your hands and the softer they are the longer the time you decelerate the ball which reduces the force applied back onto the ball within a given period of time.  Extending your arms and bringing them in with the ball increases this effect.  Your shoulders to your fingertips need to be shock absorbers.  

Your right... I just misspoke / was using different terminology.

when I said hardens I meant it strengthens.

6 hours ago, Jerry said:

After our top 3 in Ruggs, Williams, and Renfrow, I'd personally prefer having Waller and either Witten/Moreau on the field.  We can be a really versatile team with a 4 WR set with Waller going out to play WR and keeping either Witten/Moreau at TE.  I think Gruden is going to scheme a lot of 2/3 TE sets knowing they're mismatches.  Just my opinion.  I think our WR4 isn't going to see many snaps if the TE's and WR's stay healthy.

I agree with your assessment, but I think there are some scenarios where Agholor or Jones are better suited then Renfrow.  I think one of them finds a way to take some snaps from Renfrow.

On 7/1/2020 at 9:57 AM, jimkelly02 said:

This.

nothing replaces flipping a big ole tractor tire. 20 years later I still make my players flip um

11 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

This.

nothing replaces flipping a big ole tractor tire. 20 years later I still make my players flip um

Absolutely positively!  The fancy stuff At best might help fine tune somethings (but i really question the majority of it) but nothing replaces hard work and repetition.... fighting through when you hit your limits”.... like hitting the hill for sprints, tire flips, and the jugs machine. 

Those tennis ball games look fancy but how the heck do they translate more than a WR running until he’s exhausted and then running routes (having to make the catch under severe physical strain)? That’s what they’ll see when they’re in the 4Q of a game and exhausted and have to make a play/catch.

On 7/1/2020 at 5:47 PM, jimkelly02 said:

I agree with your assessment, but I think there are some scenarios where Agholor or Jones are better suited then Renfrow.  I think one of them finds a way to take some snaps from Renfrow.

These are the exact type of plays im talking about when I mentioned there are is a place for Agholor to contribute on this team and be subbed in for Renfrow to play the slot.  Agholor’s athleticism is something Renfrow doesn’t have.  

In your just going to like NA up and have him run routes downfield he’ll fail, but if you can get the ball in his hands fast like in the clips then he can make plays.

• Like 1

I too think Nelson makes the roster. IIRC he has troubles tracking and catching deeper balls. Our WCO should get the ball to him shallow and quick, which hopefully he can bring in balls consistently. We'll need some savvy vets imo because after Williams, we'll be relying on a rookie Ruggs and 2nd year Renfrow.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Absolutely positively!  The fancy stuff At best might help fine tune somethings (but i really question the majority of it) but nothing replaces hard work and repetition.... fighting through when you hit your limits”.... like hitting the hill for sprints, tire flips, and the jugs machine. 

Those tennis ball games look fancy but how the heck do they translate more than a WR running until he’s exhausted and then running routes (having to make the catch under severe physical strain)? That’s what they’ll see when they’re in the 4Q of a game and exhausted and have to make a play/catch.

I don’t like the usage of tennis balls I’d rather use real...footballs. I get the hand eye coordination thing but I can imagine yelling at wr1 “you caught every dam tennis ball in practice why can’t you catch a football tonight”....

Agholor will get a lot of playing time. The no training camp and mini-camps help a vet like him especially with young WR's on the team. Maybe his playing time will die down as the season goes, but early on he will be on the field a lot. Ruggs role will grow as the season goes and Edwards idk what to expect tbh I think he gets time towards the end of the year, but if Williams is healthy hard to see him get a lot of time this year. 

Very crowded WR core 

Williams, Ruggs, Renfrow, Edwards, Agholor, and Jones. 

I see Jones making the team. With not having to carry a PR or KR as a WR we could see 6 true WR's make the team. 

Edited by agarcia34
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I don’t like the usage of tennis balls I’d rather use real...footballs. I get the hand eye coordination thing but I can imagine yelling at wr1 “you caught every dam tennis ball in practice why can’t you catch a football tonight”....

The tennis balls are more of an MMA thing because you have to keep your eye on multiple things at once.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

The tennis balls are more of an MMA thing because you have to keep your eye on multiple things at once.

That I could see.  Plus you learn to aim small to miss small.  What nade me scratch my head the most was training a WR in a backpedal.  You want to train and practice how you play and with the exception of special teams Edward's should almost never be in a back pedal.

Edited by drfrey13
  • Like 1