Everything Offseason Programs (OTA's and more)

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

That I could see.  Plus you learn to aim small to miss small.  What nade me scratch my head the most was training a WR in a backpedal.  You want to train and practice how you play and with the exception of special teams Edward's should almost never be in a back pedal.

I would assume a WR needs tunnel vision to concentrate on the ball and block out everything else.

43 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I would assume a WR needs tunnel vision to concentrate on the ball and block out everything else.

Yes.... but what about a CB’s hands in their face and other things blocking their peripheral vision?

(sorry just playing devil’s advocate)

I’m sure there are genuine good and effective “new age” exercises.... but my thing is how much MORE effective are they then the older, tried and true methods?

i can’t imagine it’s much.

50 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yes.... but what about a CB’s hands in their face and other things blocking their peripheral vision?

(sorry just playing devil’s advocate)

I’m sure there are genuine good and effective “new age” exercises.... but my thing is how much MORE effective are they then the older, tried and true methods?

i can’t imagine it’s much.

I would have to agree about the tunnel vision still.  Sounds weird but the best indicator for me of a WR being able to catch a pass in traffic is if they can catch an alley oop in basketball.  Growing up playing organized and street ball so I learned both styles.  Street ball is just trying to dunk on your opponent 99% of the time so I got pretty good at high pointing the ball and figuring out how to position myself to catch the ball in traffic.  Once I started playing football I would just tell the QB to throw it up and I will come down with it.  They soon realized that no matter how much contact there was I was either going to catch it or not allow anyone else to.  Watching Ruggs play basketball makes me think he has a lot more to offer than what we saw at Alabama.

Edited by drfrey13
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

If Nixon or Harper ball out we could make room for them by “labeling” Joyner a safety... 

Given we only have 4 safeties plus Leavitt (who is just a STer.... he can’t play S outside of the preseason) we might just do that.  
Nixon would be a tough cut, but if so he’s the ideal candidate for 1/2 of the practice squad game day eligible spots.

The roster changes are a sham though because those 2 PS player who can be moved up will rarely be active on gameday.

I think Harper is just a PS candidate at this point and is far too raw to beat anyone out for a roster spot.... let alone a seasoned vet like Nevin Lawson, who is a solid tackler and can play both outside and slot.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Given we only have 4 safeties plus Leavitt (who is just a STer.... he can’t play S outside of the preseason) we might just do that.  
Nixon would be a tough cut, but if so he’s the ideal candidate for 1/2 of the practice squad game day eligible spots.

The roster changes are a sham though because those 2 PS player who can be moved up will rarely be active on gameday.

I think Harper is just a PS candidate at this point and is far too raw to beat anyone out for a roster spot.... let alone a seasoned vet like Nevin Lawson, who is a solid tackler and can play both outside and slot.

You probably right about Harper, I was just going out my way to label him as my sleeper UDFA. He has the traits and seems like a good kid.... more likely PS but I could see him surprised. 

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

You probably right about Harper, I was just going out my way to label him as my sleeper UDFA. He has the traits and seems like a good kid.... more likely PS but I could see him surprised. 

I hear you,,, it’ll take a lot for him to make the team though... we already have Mullen,  Arnette, Robertson, and possibly Nixon as young guys so the coaches will probably want to stack the rest of the roster with proven vets like Prince A, Joyner, Nevin Lawson.... and Ken Crawley is a sleeper too

Good to see Edwards out there. I know Ruggs is in Vegas. Probably not fully healthy to be out there running around. 

Just from that video you can see the the size he has. Just such a big man that moves smoothly for his size. WR room very crowded. 

Edited by agarcia34

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2020 at 5:06 PM, agarcia34 said:

Good to see Edwards out there. I know Ruggs is in Vegas. Probably not fully healthy to be out there running around. 

Just from that video you can see the the size he has. Just such a big man that moves smoothly for his size. WR room very crowded. 

I kept saying this will be T Williams last season as a Raider. But if he has a good season of 800-1000 yards and 8 plus TDS, maybe keep him around. 6’4 T Williams, 6’5 Waller, 6’3 Edwards would be a nightmare for opposing defenses trying to match up. Lob city lol