Everything Offseason Programs (OTA's and more)

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Desean was such a beast coming out of college I forget who we picked that year almost afraid to look lol. Ruggs reminds me more of Steve Smith from Carolina tho. 

If he can play like Steve Smith but at almost two tenths of a second faster in the forty we might have the best player in this draft.  They both clocked a 1.54 ten yard split but Ruggs pulls away in the next ten.  I wish we could have seen something from the 3-cone and short shuttle.

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

I think that's the year we traded our 2nd for 8 games of DeAngelo Hall.

It’s maddening to think about all the wasted money and picks over the year.  Obviously not all transactions turn out to be home runs but trading a 2nd (‘08... turned out to be #34 overall) and 5th (‘09) for a known zone only CB with massive character issues and demanding he plays man..... only to have him demand to play zone only.... and oh yeah we gave him a record breaking 7y/70M contract on top of it all.  In the end we lost the picks and paid $8M for 8 games of poor play from Hall.

That traded pick could have been Jordy Nelson, Calais Campbell, Curtis Lofton, heck even Brandon Flowers is you wanted a zone CB so bad.

Apparently teams don’t have to cut down to 80 man rosters if they split the team up into 2 groups and split meetings/ practices..... idk if we’ll do that but we have until Tuesday to decide which option we want and comply:

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2020/7/29/21346384/detroit-lions-choose-split-squad-workouts-not-10-roster-cuts

I think it’d be a major negative to have to split the team into 2 and your better off just releasing the 10 bottom players.  The only way to game the system is to run split practices (offense + defense&ST) for the first week or so before the pads go on... then cut the 10 guys and go back to one 80 man practice.  Idk what actual advantage that would give you though.

3 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

I’ve so excited to see those 2 develop of the next few years! 

i stumbled across this article and stat this morning:

https://stillcurtain.com/2019/09/04/steelers-sutton-smith-keeping-olb/

“Most pressures by an FBS edge defender since the start of 2017 (written in ‘18, thus referred to ‘17 and ‘18 seasons):

1. Sutton Smith, 160
2. Maxx Crosby, 112
3. Anthony Nelson, 111
4. Chase Winovich, 109
4. Ben Banogu, 109“

I didn’t realize that Crosby had that many hurries!  And he left for the NFL as a junior so that was all during his sophomore and junior seasons.

On 8/3/2020 at 1:20 AM, jimkelly02 said:

It’s maddening to think about all the wasted money and picks over the year.  Obviously not all transactions turn out to be home runs but trading a 2nd (‘08... turned out to be #34 overall) and 5th (‘09) for a known zone only CB with massive character issues and demanding he plays man..... only to have him demand to play zone only.... and oh yeah we gave him a record breaking 7y/70M contract on top of it all.  In the end we lost the picks and paid $8M for 8 games of poor play from Hall.

That traded pick could have been Jordy Nelson, Calais Campbell, Curtis Lofton, heck even Brandon Flowers is you wanted a zone CB so bad.

Worst thing is that Deangelo Halls career after we cut our ties to him is imo certainly worth a 2nd rnd pick. He just didnt deliver us that. I can see why Al made the trade, if it would have worked out we'd been set at CB for years with Aso and Hall.

15 minutes ago, Roninho said:

Worst thing is that Deangelo Halls career after we cut our ties to him is imo certainly worth a 2nd rnd pick. He just didnt deliver us that. I can see why Al made the trade, if it would have worked out we'd been set at CB for years with Aso and Hall.

It was just a bit of a strange trade for an Al Davis team which plays press man and Hall seemed the classic zone corner, perhaps we saw skills that were transferrable but I remember watching that first game where Eddie Royal took him apart and embarrassed us and had that familiar ominous feeling. He was pretty good in Washington's scheme and probably could gave been a decent safety for us if not corner 😁😁

On 7/31/2020 at 12:48 PM, jimkelly02 said:

To add to the good points you and @NCOUGHMAN made....

The “background” investigations into players, ie talking to coaches, teammates, etc” is just as important as game tape and combine stats.  The draft is one big job interview and like any interview the resume (game tape, combine, workouts) is comparable to the resume of any other type of job but the “background investigations” is like the references and interview for any other job. Just because you have the best resume or best performance at your last job doesn’t mean your the best fit for the job your interviewing at.  How you fit into the new company/organization is most important as well as how you will perform in the future. 

I like how Mayock has gone after high character guys.  Even the guys who have had issues like Incognito and Arnette are still very high character.  High character doesn’t mean your a saint without any issues.  It means what kind of man are you today.  Sure Ritchie has been a complete manic savage in the past but he’s also a very cool, collective, articulate, and “blue collar worker”.  Arnette has some immaturity issues at OSU... but that was a few years ago when he was 21.  The light switch turned for him his junior/senior year when he had a child, and we felt he manned up quite well.

Completely agree.  You can really see how much character means to him and to the development of our team.  Looking at guys like Maxx Crosby and Hunter Renfrow really shows you how much their character goes into their development and success.  Literally two guys who are the definition of blue collar, high character guys.  Just come in and do their job, every single day.  Amazing.  Makes me really believe in our picks this year (Tanner Muse, John Simpson, Amik Robertson).