LB Markus Golden officially signs with Giants

Acgott

12 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

Love this move. The only thing I do not understand is why we have not done this in the past for other players that signed one year deals with us.

Why don’t any teams use it? Last time it was used was by the Patriots in 2017.

6 hours ago, Acgott said:

Why don’t any teams use it? Last time it was used was by the Patriots in 2017.

I said -we- as in the Giants, I don't recall them using this before.  At the time I was wondering why we did not put this tag on DJ Fluker who was also with us just for one year.

However I know the answer now, you can only use it if a player is not signed after a certain time, I am guessing DJ Fluker was signed before we could use that tag.

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Less than 2 months. I really think the Giants are about to get Golden back on the cheap, which would be huge.

Our pass rush could be just below average if Ximenes or Carter can bring any sort of value. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2020 at 10:05 AM, minutemancl said:

That's a big keep. I don't think Golden is a special pass rusher, but he's definitely a good one. He keeps the rotation pretty deep. Between Fackrell, Golden, Carter, and Ximines, we have an unspectacular, but deep, group of pass rushers.

I think the defense overall could be excellent this year. All the Baker stuff is overshadowing the good news we've heard: the Giants keeping Golden, Darnay Holmes turning heads, etc. The "experts" pegging NY as a 3 or 4-win team are way off base.

1 hour ago, y*so*blu said:

I think the defense overall could be excellent this year. All the Baker stuff is overshadowing the good news we've heard: the Giants keeping Golden, Darnay Holmes turning heads, etc. The "experts" pegging NY as a 3 or 4-win team are way off base.

Whoa there. I’ll pump the breaks on that. I’ll take off-season “good news” with a huge grain of salt. They haven’t practiced once yet. The Giants have a first time head coach with a defensive coordinator who was let go last year after one year. It takes more than a few solid signings to turn around a bad defense in one year.

• Like 1