2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

Yeah its early, but what else or we gonna talk about now

You might find this crazy, but next years class of WR’s is pretty much as good as this years class was.  Maybe not as deep, but at the top definitely.  LSU WR Ja’Marr Chase more than likely would have been taken ahead of of Jeudy, Lamb and Ruggs.

Some receivers to take a look at if you’re interested

Ja’Marr Chase

Justyn Ross

Rondale Moore

Devonta Smith

Jaylen Waddle

Rashod Bateman

Sage Surratt

Tutu Atwell

Tylan Wallace

Tamorrion Terry

Chris Olave

Plus more and obviously new guys who are gonna burst who are unknown right now or lower ranked

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KingOfTheDot said:

The OL class is loaded absolutely loaded from what I’ve seen. 

Nice Cornerback class at the top as well but we’ve invested heavily there and it seems like it’s a Tier 2 spot for us in terms of where we are allocating our resources. 

Haven’t spent more than a fifth rounder on a single CB on the roster?

39 minutes ago, NewAge said:

Haven’t spent more than a fifth rounder on a single CB on the roster?

We've spent a lot of resources just this past calendar year on bringing in a plethora of Corners. Sure we haven't spend high picks but overall we've brought in Austin, Hairston, Maulet, Poole, Desir, Hall, Jackson, Guidry and Wilson. 

We did the same at ILB without using high picks

Just now, KingOfTheDot said:

We've spent a lot of resources just this past calendar year on bringing in a plethora of Corners. Sure we haven't spend high picks but overall we've brought in Austin, Hairston, Maulet, Poole, Desir, Hall, Jackson, Guidry and Wilson. 

We did the same at ILB without using high picks

There are two guys there making more than relative peanuts and they’re both on one year deals worth less than $5 million. The top corners under contract for 2021 are a 2019 sixth rounder, 2020 fifth rounder, and some UDFAs. 

12 minutes ago, NewAge said:

There are two guys there making more than relative peanuts and they’re both on one year deals worth less than $5 million. The top corners under contract for 2021 are a 2019 sixth rounder, 2020 fifth rounder, and some UDFAs. 

What does salary have to do with it? I'm saying we've added so many of them that I doubt we look towards the top of the draft for one. Doesn't seem like a premium position at the moment.

2 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

What does salary have to do with it? I'm saying we've added so many of them that I doubt we look towards the top of the draft for one. Doesn't seem like a premium position at the moment.

Salary and draft picks are indicative of resources spent. I think they may have an okay group of corners for this year but that’s not due to spending a ton of resources on the position. If anything, it would be in spite of not expending significant capital addressing it. 

If by the end of the season, Bless Austin and Bryce Hall (or whatever other combo) have established themselves as capable starting corners and there’s solid depth behind them, I’d be fine considering the position mostly set and not worth using a first rounder on. However, that would come as a result of being set at CB from a talent perspective, not a desire to slow down an overallocation of resources towards addressing the position. And if Douglas is able to patch together a long term solution to the position with the players currently on the roster, that is a strong credit to excellent late round/UDFA scouting and keen low dollar acquisitions. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NewAge said:

Salary and draft picks are indicative of resources spent. I think they may have an okay group of corners for this year but that’s not due to spending a ton of resources on the position. If anything, it would be in spite of not expending significant capital addressing it. 

If by the end of the season, Bless Austin and Bryce Hall (or whatever other combo) have established themselves as capable starting corners and there’s solid depth behind them, I’d be fine considering the position mostly set and not worth using a first rounder on. However, that would come as a result of being set at CB from a talent perspective, not a desire to slow down an overallocation of resources towards addressing the position. And if Douglas is able to patch together a long term solution to the position with the players currently on the roster, that is a strong credit to excellent late round/UDFA scouting and keen low dollar acquisitions. 

I didn't say he spent premium resources(1st/2nd round picks) or spent a ton of cap on Corners, I said he invested heavily in terms of bringing in a lot of guys. We walked away with 4 from this draft alone(Hall, Wilson, Jackson, Guidry). All of which have the talent and traits GW can work with.

I think the trenches will continue to be our primary focus especially early in the drafts with us taking more a committee approach with the Secondary and Weapons using mid to late round picks and budget friendly guys in Free Agency.

With the way our team is set up I dont see us drafting a 1st round Corner next year if guys play up to their current projections. 

I still see EDGE, WR, OL as the 3 major groups to continue to build. The 3 main groups we've neglected the past 14 years.

I know its hard for some guys to get excited about small WR’s, but Rondale Moore is a monster.  As an Ohio St fan, hes the best WR ive seen thats went against them in a while and he was only a true freshman at that point.

• Like 2

The way Gase and Douglas have addressed CB, it sounds like CB is the least priority in the system. However, they are injury-prone.   CB Sidney Jones was 1st round project that fell into 2nd round due to serious injury when Douglas had Eagles taken him.  Nothing is an automatic habit for Joe Douglas on CB situation. Douglas would take Damon Arnette in 2nd round instead of Denzel Mims if available.  True or False? you decide.

Need to check out on Kadarius Toney.  He plays two footballs on the single field. That should be good for British or soccer avid or both posters because there is no need to use picture in picture feature when watching Jets game.;)

Because his style of playing, it reeks of injury prone so he should be solid pick in 3rd round for Jets.