2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

2 hours ago, jetjuice said:

Both are mehhhh as it gets.

My favorite pure pass rusher is Azeez Ojulari. Great athletic skills and initial first move, not a great run defender yet though. He would be a good fit for that edge LB position in Saleh's defense. 

Most complete edge is Kwity Paye IMO. Overall it's a weak class.

wide 9 edge should belong to Byrce Huff dont you think? heh.

Base end may require more hand works along rushing moves for Saleh, if I remember accurately.

For Basham, I can grant you that because he is beefing up to 285. If speed holds then his power will be in serious question because he had been dealing with double teams more frequent that he would like.  One on one he kills.

As for LB, we need someone with coverage skill.  Whoever they are.

Edited by JetsandI

52 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Jones 2 is mehhhh? Guy is a leader and has multiple pass rush moves, always a candidate for a strip sack.  What's not to like besides 4.4-4.5 speed?

⅔ of his sacks came in two games over a 3 week span against bad o-lines (BC and Louisville) and he's already gonna be 23 in September as a redshirt senior. He's got some moves but he needs a lot of work with his hand fighting because once he gets engaged it's basically over unless the bull rush works. His main moves are that bull rush and a speed rush and sometimes uses an inside spin to counter. Would like to see more hand techniques to go with all the hustle plays he puts on tape because he does play hard and smart but has some trouble disengaging from his blocker in both the run and pass game. He's a lean guy and this is happening against ACC tackles, so I have my questions about his projection to the NFL. He's not an elite athlete nor is he a polished pass rusher (I like Ojulari better in both areas). He's going to the Senior Bowl and we'll get to see how he does against top talent when we get to watch him up close. I'll be watching him because he would be a good schematic fit for Saleh's defense and we have multiple picks in the range that he's projected to go right now.

51 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

wide 9 edge should belong to Byrce Huff dont you think? heh.

Base end may require more hand works along rushing moves for Saleh, if I remember accurately.

For Basham, I can grant you that because he is beefing up to 285. If speed holds then his power will be in serious question because he had been dealing with double teams more frequent that he would like.  One on one he kills.

As for LB, we need someone with coverage skill.  Whoever they are.

I'm not a huge Carlos Basham Jr fan either, I don't think he's all that great at any one thing and he's not a great athlete. I like Patrick Jones II better than Basham Jr right now.

My guys in the pass rush department are Kwity Paye and Azeez Ojulari. Hoping to find some underrated guys as I keep watching.

Another guy I really like is Zaven Collins LB out of Tulsa, not quite sure where to place him though because he lines up off the ball too. He's a ridiculous athlete and has insane closing speed with multiple rush moves and can also cover. He got the game sealing INT in their upset win against #19 SMU and was a terror that whole game all over the field, and then got a 95 yard pick-six in 2OT the following week to win the game too. He reminds me of Josh Allen (JAX) and would be used in that exact role in Saleh's defense I'd assume.

Edited by jetjuice

2 hours ago, jetjuice said:

I'm not a huge Carlos Basham Jr fan either, I don't think he's all that great at any one thing and he's not a great athlete. I like Patrick Jones II better than Basham Jr right now.

My guys in the pass rush department are Kwity Paye and Azeez Ojulari. Hoping to find some underrated guys as I keep watching.

Another guy I really like is Zaven Collins LB out of Tulsa, not quite sure where to place him though because he lines up off the ball too. He's a ridiculous athlete and has insane closing speed with multiple rush moves and can also cover. He got the game sealing INT in their upset win against #19 SMU and was a terror that whole game all over the field, and then got a 95 yard pick-six in 2OT the following week to win the game too. He reminds me of Josh Allen (JAX) and would be used in that exact role in Saleh's defense I'd assume.

I actually really dislike this years crop of pass rushers for some reason.  I feel like its ctazy strong at CB, WR, and QB. 

Btw... am I the only one who thinks Mac Jones could wind up being really good? I watched some tape and feel like he gets a knock for running an offense perfectly since he has so many tools... but he was really really good. Imagine getting DeVonte and Jones in the 1st somehow....

A thing to keep in mind at edge now in probably moving to a 4-3 is size. A 4-3 now suits a guy like Zuniga more than a guy like Huff. So some of these edges in that 23-34 range for us in the draft are guys that need to put in weight to be 4-3 guys. Guys more suited for a 3-4. So they don’t exactly put what we need. 

26 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

A thing to keep in mind at edge now in probably moving to a 4-3 is size. A 4-3 now suits a guy like Zuniga more than a guy like Huff. So some of these edges in that 23-34 range for us in the draft are guys that need to put in weight to be 4-3 guys. Guys more suited for a 3-4. So they don’t exactly put what we need. 

Are we defo moving to the 4-3?! 

Just now, xenajets said:

Are we defo moving to the 4-3?! 

Don’t know yet. But I’d imagine so. I’m sure we will run multiple looks. But 4-3 as the main set. Meaning we need edges more. I expect us to get 1 in FA (a good talent pool should hit FA). And draft a guy in the mid rounds. 4-3 should help Zuniga more. And Huff could use to add some weight this offseason to help him out. Jenkins and Basham are FAs, so not sure what we do with them. 

20 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

If he keeps the wide 9 front then we need ends who can do both(rush the QB and contain the run game) and linebackers who are fast and instinctive enough to read run/pass and then attack. 

If I categorized 49ers correctly, Saleh implemented wide 9 after trading away Buckner.  Because of past drafts, Saleh ran beefy front.   Jets may be fixed on Edge for 1st round to set up what kind of defense will Jets run. wide 9, 3-4b or 4-3b.

As for LB, we absolutely can't ignore coverage ability. Especially MLB.

8 hours ago, jetjuice said:

Collins, Sanders or Rashed jr. on the outside could work. 

I quickly glanced around on EDGE.  I don't see anyone that is an inch closer to NFL ready.  A few of them need some coaching to survive NFL during rookie season.  A few of them needs physical development but can play as specialized role. 

Pity, Jones and Rousseau may be closest to NFL ready based on tools. Basham with his high effort may be there.

Rest of next "hyped up" edges vary depending on what defense coaches set up for them.

Because of quick looking, I may embarrassingly miss a promising edge but whatever. lol.  No need to get upset about edges.  When doubt, skip edge in 1st.

Edited by JetsandI

8 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

I quickly glanced around on EDGE.  I don't see anyone that is an inch closer to NFL ready.  A few of them need some coaching to survive NFL during rookie season.  A few of them needs physical development but can play as specialized role. 

Pity, Jones and Rousseau may be closest to NFL ready based on tools. Basham with his high effort may be there.

Rest of next "hyped up" edges vary depending on what defense coaches set up for them.

Because of quick looking, I may embarrassingly miss a promising edge but whatever. lol.  No need to get upset about edges.  When doubt, skip edge in 1st.

Yup. The top of the draft isn’t the spot for an edge this year. We shouldn’t be using our 23rd or 34th pick on a guy. The value isn’t there. Pity and Rousseau won’t fall to 23. So that’s no mans land. With a lot of the next tier of guys undersized. With which switching to a 4-3... isn’t the best