2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

The fact we are talking about possible Robert Saleh-type defenders has me smiling. I have to think going from a Gregg Williams defense to a Robert Saleh defense is going to be worth at least 2-3 more victories next season...just that element alone. 

Kerry Hyder Jr. and Richard Sherman seem like obvious targets to reunite with Saleh, but what about Dee Ford? He has barely played for the Niners the last two seasons due to injury. Would he be a candidate for release? Is he the edge rusher we need? He was used more situationally than as a full-fledged starter in San Fran when healthy, so I am not sure.

I don't think we have any 4-3 ends currently on the roster...maybe Zuniga. I don't expect Anderson to be back. Zuniga or Franklin-Myers could work but we definitely need to bring in someone from the outside to play those all-important Armstead-Bosa roles.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Not Rashed. I hear he takes too many plays off. Does not give full effort all the time. Maybe on day 3 but not before. 

Yeah, he wasn't alone. OSU defense was terrible this season... Registered only 7 sacks by the entire team.

If that leads him to day 3 then I am perfectly happy with it.  I still think he is day 2 but who knows.

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

If I categorized 49ers correctly, Saleh implemented wide 9 after trading away Buckner.  Because of past drafts, Saleh ran beefy front.   Jets may be fixed on Edge for 1st round to set up what kind of defense will Jets run. wide 9, 3-4b or 4-3b.

As for LB, we absolutely can't ignore coverage ability. Especially MLB.

They added it after the 2018 season, drafted Bosa and traded for Ford. Buckner was traded in 2020 and they replaced him with Kinlaw.

Truthfully the best course of action is to implement his coverage principles with our odd fronts just because that’s how the personnel fits. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Could even bring in Jamal Williams.  I could totally see Mike trying to steal someone from Matt, or Matt recommending someone who they won't be bringing back.

I think he'll definitely be in his ear during the spring, getting him ready for the job. In terms of personnel, I'll be posting something soon just super busy, but there's just so many things you can with this offense that it isn't tailored to just a specific type of player. 

• Like 1

One thing I keep coming back to in my mind is taking a WR with our first pick. I love Smith but to have a rookie at the X and a second year player that missed half the season at the Z is a lot of inexperience for Sam or a rookie QB. I would rather get that experienced WR like Robinson opposite Mims. I still want to draft a WR in rounds 1-3 but not at #2. 

7 minutes ago, xrade said:

One thing I keep coming back to in my mind is taking a WR with our first pick. I love Smith but to have a rookie at the X and a second year player that missed half the season at the Z is a lot of inexperience for Sam or a rookie QB. I would rather get that experienced WR like Robinson opposite Mims. I still want to draft a WR in rounds 1-3 but not at #2. 

I would love to get the human joystick Kadarius Toney.  I think he could workout in this offense like Smith.

EDIT- I think I want Toney at 23 now. I think he would be perfect.

Edited by jetsfan4life51
  • Like 1