2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

10 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Olave returning for his senior year which I found odd

Thought so too. He'll have a better chance of being a 1st round pick in 2022. This year is top heavy and will probably push him down the board a bit, maybe he thinks he can be first WR off the board next year. I would've liked to give him a look in round 2-3 though.

On 1/17/2021 at 7:45 AM, NJC33 said:

Ja'Marr Chase doesn't seem to be getting enough love here - still my WR1 ahead of Smith.

Yup I've been beating this drum for a while now.

Chase is the best WR in this draft, don't let recency bias affect rankings. Chase was equally impressive and had to share targets with Justin Jefferson last year. Chase does everything just as well as Smith and is a lot more stout and physical for a WR. Ultimately I would love either, but Chase is my guy this year. I'm just not sure how much it behooves the Jets to take a WR early.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2021 at 6:33 PM, Abe56 said:

If you wanna watch a real fun running back watch Kenneth Gainwell of Memphis.  Sat out the year because of covid fear but a really talented back, especially in the passing game.

We're on the same page on a lot this year. I love Gainwell and see him having an even bigger impact than Antonio Gibson had for WFT. He's such a two-way threat at the RB position, almost reminds me of Alvin Kamara in a way. He's definitely someone I'd be targeting.

Another HB I like a lot is Javonte Williams from UNC. I see us going for a guy like one of these two over spending a premium pick on someone like Najee Harris or Travis Etienne (as we should).

27 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

With 3 1'2 months till the draft some sports media and tvs guy are saying the Jets should give up three first round picks to get Watson, have these people lost their ******* minds. Are we going to get this kind of crap till the end of April.

Yup or at least until Watson either commits to Houston or they trade him somewhere else.

57 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

With 3 1'2 months till the draft some sports media and tvs guy are saying the Jets should give up three first round picks to get Watson, have these people lost their ******* minds. Are we going to get this kind of crap till the end of April.

I think just about every jets fan on this board would give up 3 firsts for Watson without blinking. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Only a fool would make that deal

Then I'm a fool because if Deshaun Watson costs #2 overall this year, next year's Seattle first, 2023's first and a 3rd this year I'm making that deal in a heart beat. We'd still have a pick in every round this year and next plus whatever Darnold yields in a trade. We are talking about getting a top 5 QB at 25 years old who is signed on a decent contract until 2025 and we actually have the ammo to get him while also being to build around him. 

Edited by mattmanz91

1 hour ago, mattmanz91 said:

I think just about every jets fan on this board would give up 3 firsts for Watson without blinking. 

Nah. I’d go two firsts and maybe a 2 or 3. 3 FRP is too much for a rebuilding team and I would hate to try rebuilding through FA. We have tried and failed like countless other teams. If we give up that much we will be mired in mediocrity. 

I mean to have 2 WRs that have produced the seasons they have in Chase in 2019 and Smith in 2020 is incredible. Can’t go wrong with either. That’s why I’m more inline with now keeping Darnold and trading back a few spots. Bc I see no way they’re both gone in the top 6 picks or so. This would give us additional picks as well in the draft to totally rebuild and help Darnold and the defense out.

42 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I mean to have 2 WRs that have produced the seasons they have in Chase in 2019 and Smith in 2020 is incredible. Can’t go wrong with either. That’s why I’m more inline with now keeping Darnold and trading back a few spots. Bc I see no way they’re both gone in the top 6 picks or so. This would give us additional picks as well in the draft to totally rebuild and help Darnold and the defense out.

Meh, I prefer Wilson at #2 and Waddle at #23 

1 hour ago, mattmanz91 said:

Then I'm a fool because if Deshaun Watson costs #2 overall this year, next year's Seattle first, 2023's first and a 3rd this year I'm making that deal in a heart beat. We'd still have a pick in every round this year and next plus whatever Darnold yields in a trade. We are talking about getting a top 5 QB at 25 years old who is signed on a decent contract until 2025 and we actually have the ammo to get him while also being to build around him. 

Watson would prob cost at least 2 1sts this year and 1 next year. I doubt Houstkn wants a 2023 pick if they can help it. 

I'd take 2 1sts this yr and 1 next year or #2 this year and both 1sts next year. 

I still dont think we are ready to make this trade as we still have a lot of bare cupboards. 

36 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

Watson would prob cost at least 2 1sts this year and 1 next year. I doubt Houstkn wants a 2023 pick if they can help it. 

I'd take 2 1sts this yr and 1 next year or #2 this year and both 1sts next year. 

I still dont think we are ready to make this trade as we still have a lot of bare cupboards. 

But this is a one in a million chance. Whens the last time a cost controlled, young, top 5 QB became available? We have ammo, I get it would be great to use all of those picks and hope most of them pan out but the reality is, it's still a crap shoot. This is a bokefide franchise QB. It's a no brainier.