2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

Just now, Jag68Sid87 said:

If we draft Sewell, I would put him at RT or Becton at RT, and I would complete the line with a veteran LG or RG...with McGovern at C and Elflein at the other guard spot. That has the makings of an awesome O-line. Could make even a mediocre QB (of which we have several) pretty decent.

You could even declare LT to be open competition until one of the two emerges as the better option. Or you can get a lefty QB, so that the RT feels like he is a LT and the LT is a LT. LOL

Options.

Unless we land a star WR in FA drafting Sewell shouldn't be the direction we go in the draft.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Unless we land a star WR in FA drafting Sewell shouldn't be the direction we go in the draft.

Agreed, but I am going on the assumption that we will be landing a prized FA wide receiver.

I mean, I would love Devonta Smith but I'd rather have Sewell and Julio Jones than Smith and Fant.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I tend to agree. But what if the scenario is that we are “stuck” with the number two pick? I would expect a QB. If they are keeping Sam and foregoing QB this year then Sewell, on paper, is the best option. I just do not like NOT addressing bigger needs at that spot. Nor do I like reaching. Could Surtain or Parsons be the choice?  I can hear your scowl from here. Could Pitts?

I also still can’t get out of my head some turmoil it would cause if Becton was asked to move to RT or Sewell was asked to play RT. I am sure both want LT and the larger contract that comes with it. Of course this is all speculation. If either are fine with the move. Sign me up for Sewell in this scenario. 

25 minutes ago, xrade said:

I tend to agree. But what if the scenario is that we are “stuck” with the number two pick? I would expect a QB. If they are keeping Sam and foregoing QB this year then Sewell, on paper, is the best option. I just do not like NOT addressing bigger needs at that spot. Nor do I like reaching. Could Surtain or Parsons be the choice?  I can hear your scowl from here. Could Pitts?

I also still can’t get out of my head some turmoil it would cause if Becton was asked to move to RT or Sewell was asked to play RT. I am sure both want LT and the larger contract that comes with it. Of course this is all speculation. If either are fine with the move. Sign me up for Sewell in this scenario. 

Rookie contract is low enough to move around. lol.   JD wants the way like Bobby does.  If you are LT, you stay at LT, not C or RT.  Sort of.    That would be problematic if we are stuck at #2 with Sewell being TBPA.

I think JD won't ask for king's ransom unless there is clear that Wilson or Fields is in fact another top legit qb.  I don't believe them so I may lower the draft value but not that much to just get out of top 5.

2 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Rookie contract is low enough to move around. lol.   JD wants the way like Bobby does.  If you are LT, you stay at LT, not C or RT.  Sort of.    That would be problematic if we are stuck at #2 with Sewell being TBPA.

I think JD won't ask for king's ransom unless there is clear that Wilson or Fields is in fact another top legit qb.  I don't believe them so I may lower the draft value but not that much to just get out of top 5.

If we are committed to Darnold and aren't drafting a QB at 2 and cant trade the pick we then draft Smith. If we addressed WR in FA and cant trade the pick then maybe draft Sewell.

For me I'm drafting Smith regardless if we get a star WR. Run 4 WR sets. If we get a guy like AR15... then we have him to help block as well as Mims. Play the best guys. All 4 of those WRs are better than Herndon. So run more 4 WR sets rather than TE sets. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

If we are committed to Darnold and aren't drafting a QB at 2 and cant trade the pick we then draft Smith. If we addressed WR in FA and cant trade the pick then maybe draft Sewell.

For me I'm drafting Smith regardless if we get a star WR. Run 4 WR sets. If we get a guy like AR15... then we have him to help block as well as Mims. Play the best guys. All 4 of those WRs are better than Herndon. So run more 4 WR sets rather than TE sets. 

The upgrade from Fant to Sewell(potentially) isn't better than adding Smith or Chase. 

Draft the WR, plug an actual hole. 

32 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

The upgrade from Fant to Sewell(potentially) isn't better than adding Smith or Chase. 

The answer may be what is done in FA. If JD goes after a tier two WR, it could be roughly inferred that he may go after a top WR inside the top 10. This may not mean if he goes after a Robinson talent that he still won’t draft a WR as the first pick. Of course all this is with the assumption they are keeping Sam. 

37 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Agreed.

Last year there was great depth at both WR and OL with more prospects at WR. This year again both positions are deep but inversely with more prospects for the OL. We could see some great OL prospects fall to 23 or 34 and the drop off from Chase and Smith is huge.

32 minutes ago, xrade said:

The answer may be what is done in FA. If JD goes after a tier two WR, it could be roughly inferred that he may go after a top WR inside the top 10. This may not mean if he goes after a Robinson talent that he still won’t draft a WR as the first pick. Of course all this is with the assumption they are keeping Sam. 

Even if he signs a tier 1 WR you have to realize that multiple WRs play at a time, only 2 tackles play and the two we have are good enough right now. Having a surplus of weapons allows us to consistently throw different looks at teams and should we suffer from the injury bug again at least the depth is there. Gase and Darnold literally had Chris Hogan and Josh Malone playing meaningful snaps to start the season.

55 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Even if he signs a tier 1 WR you have to realize that multiple WRs play at a time, only 2 tackles play and the two we have are good enough right now. Having a surplus of weapons allows us to consistently throw different looks at teams and should we suffer from the injury bug again at least the depth is there. Gase and Darnold literally had Chris Hogan and Josh Malone playing meaningful snaps to start the season.

Exactly. Crowder is in the last year of his deal as well. And Mims we can’t act like us a proven guy. You take Smith and get a dynamic playmaker for Darnold

My gut right now is feelibgva trade down with Cincy. Bengals move up for Sewell to protect Burrow and were still in a sweet spot to grab Smith or Chase. 

Probably won’t bring us the huge haul of assets if someone was moving up for a quarterback but I’m not sure yet how teams view Fields and Wilson. Time will tell. 

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

As I mentioned in my post, getting a tier 1 WR does not preclude selecting a WR with our first pick. I would love a WR corp of Crowder, Mims, Smith and Robinson.

I will also state that I would prefer he look at another position if the value is there. Not sure what position as I think WR or OT would represent BPA. Many on here are smitten with the idea of going so offense heavy we bypass the D in key areas. I prefer a more balanced approach. Don’t be surprised if a CB is our first pick, hopefully after a trade down. Saleh is a defensive minded HC. If they keep Sam, I can see a top WR and iOL in FA and using our first pick on D. Many may not like it but it could very well happen. 

58 minutes ago, xrade said:

As I mentioned in my post, getting a tier 1 WR does not preclude selecting a WR with our first pick. I would love a WR corp of Crowder, Mims, Smith and Robinson.

I will also state that I would prefer he look at another position if the value is there. Not sure what position as I think WR or OT would represent BPA. Many on here are smitten with the idea of going so offense heavy we bypass the D in key areas. I prefer a more balanced approach. Don’t be surprised if a CB is our first pick, hopefully after a trade down. Saleh is a defensive minded HC. If they keep Sam, I can see a top WR and iOL in FA and using our first pick on D. Many may not like it but it could very well happen. 

BPA would be Parsons and while I think Saleh would do wonders with him in the middle of our defense I think WR does a bit more for us.