2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

2 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

I mean if we have to draft edge in 1st, a borderline Edge/Tackle may be better option at the south of 20th.

A memory of Saleh's first year with 49ers.

I don't see us reaching for a guy and just trying to make him work. If there's a CB there take them. That guy can start for us Day 1 in that spot.

I also expect us to be in the Edge market in FA. 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

I don't see us reaching for a guy and just trying to make him work. If there's a CB there take them. That guy can start for us Day 1 in that spot.

I also expect us to be in the Edge market in FA. 

I can guarantee you they won't take CB.   Many hot CBs don't tackle well.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

No I'm not saying that. But a 235-245lb guy isn't set up best for DE in a 4-3. Hard for them to set the edge and bull rush at that size. Generally speaking... 4-3 DEs carry more weight than that. And look at the edges in that 23-34 draft range. They're all 235-245lb guys mainly. 

Which is why it makes sense to maintain 3-4 or odd fronts to match the current personnel. A full transition isn’t playing to the strengths of the team. Hopefully Saleh sees that. 

3 hours ago, JetsandI said:

I mean if we have to draft edge in 1st, a borderline Edge/Tackle may be better option at the south of 20th.

A memory of Saleh's first year with 49ers.

No it wouldn't, we have enough interior DL. That's not the need at all, if anything we would need an EDGE/LB tweener that can line up as a stack LB on early downs and rush the passer on pass downs with coverage ability too (see: Zaven Collins).

27 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Which is why it makes sense to maintain 3-4 or odd fronts to match the current personnel. A full transition isn’t playing to the strengths of the team. Hopefully Saleh sees that. 

Bro, we have no strengths. We are bad and need a full rebuild. Bring in the guys that are best for his best system. He turned the 49ers defense from a bottom unit into a top unit in one year. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Bro, we have no strengths. We are bad and need a full rebuild. Bring in the guys that are best for his best system. He turned the 49ers defense from a bottom unit into a top unit in one year. 

This is just false. We have a great interior DL and several other pieces on defense if we resign the guys we should. Q, JFM, Foley. Mosley, Poole, Hall, Maye are all very good players for this defense

• Like 1

My best guess is we need to add a true Edge to this defense both with a high end pick(23 or 34) and a solid Vet. Q and Foley work the middle wit JFM as the strong side DE in base and JFM Kicks inside on passing downs replacing Foley.

16 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

My best guess is we need to add a true Edge to this defense both with a high end pick(23 or 34) and a solid Vet. Q and Foley work the middle wit JFM as the strong side DE in base and JFM Kicks inside on passing downs replacing Foley.

I think we just do something at edge in 1 way. JD just invested a quality 3rd rounder in Zuniga who battled injury all year and Fits the Saleh defensive scheme very well. Cant see us not thinking he can make an impact this upcoming year. Add that Huff had flashes and maybe we resign Basham for cheap. We only need 1 edge. Maybe that's a high prized FA pickup. Or maybe we do invest a high draft pick in a guy. I just don't see both happening. 

I can see both sides of this debate...on the one hand, we do have some talent on defense. On the other hand, our new coach is a talent in his own right. I think we should follow his model and insert the pieces to fit him, not the other way around. After all, while we do have some talent on D and we did do reasonably well defensively for a 2-14 team this season, we are still 2-14. This is a bottom-line business.

So, I definitely think we should move to a 4-3. The Falcons (Ulbrich's last stop) also played the 4-3. Therefore, I'd be shocked if we did not.

Heck, we should have gone to a 4-3 years ago. Williams was usually a 4-3 DC too, so I never really understood why we kept the 3-4 scheme.

1 minute ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I can see both sides of this debate...on the one hand, we do have some talent on defense. On the other hand, our new coach is a talent in his own right. I think we should follow his model and insert the pieces to fit him, not the other way around. After all, while we do have some talent on D and we did do reasonably well defensively for a 2-14 team this season, we are still 2-14. This is a bottom-line business.

So, I definitely think we should move to a 4-3. The Falcons (Ulbrich's last stop) also played the 4-3. Therefore, I'd be shocked if we did not.

Heck, we should have gone to a 4-3 years ago. Williams was usually a 4-3 DC too, so I never really understood why we kept the 3-4 scheme.

We will call it 4-3 when we have big and fast edge. lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jetjuice said:

He did not do it, his D-Line coach, adding Bosa/Ford and switching up the entire scheme he originally ran did. He doesn't have some magical system. We have strengths on D, play to them and fill the holes which are at linebacker and EDGE.