2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

We have the worst starting QB in the league. Not sure the WR group as a whole is bottom five, and RB will definitely be addressed (but I think we are going to follow that SF model of quantity to get quality). I still think there is potential at TE with both Herndon (for the mini-Kittle role) and Wesco (for the mini-Jusczak role). But maybe we get someone else from the outside who fits better.

I know Douglas drafted Morgan, but at this point I don't think we can assume he is anything more than the No. 3 (and quite possible remains No. 4, PS guy just like 2020). That probably depends on whether LaFleur and Saleh view him as a good potential fit for this new offense.

That is why I do not rule out drafting another developmental QB. If there is a guy this regime feels is a better (or even perfect) fit, I think they will draft him this year. 

Also, after watching how San Fran uses Samuel all over the field and touching the ball in all kinds of ways, I have to wonder if Devonta Smith could be our version of Deebo Samuel (and possibly even better). So, I am starting to think Smith is going to be a Jet.

I still think we should avoid drafting a QB at No. 2. Too much pressure on the kid to avoid doing what Darnold has done (which is bust badly). I would only be down with drafting a QB at No. 2 if we also brought in a veteran to start ahead of the No. 2 pick to start 2021. 

I want the Jets to start winning some football games. 

2 hours ago, Heymangold said:

we can come back to this if the jets are the worst offense in the league again.  until then, i'm going to believe it'll be better based solely off a coaching change.

Going from 32 to 25 is “better” but it isn’t exactly something to be happy about either. We need improvements across the board talent wise that will help more than the coaching change. 

LaFleur won’t be coaching the same exact talent as Gase so the comparison in itself is just for people who want to keep crapping on Gase.

Like imagine potentially comparing a Watson lead offense vs a Darnold lead offense. 

3 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I know Douglas drafted Morgan, but at this point I don't think we can assume he is anything more than the No. 3 (and quite possible remains No. 4, PS guy just like 2020). That probably depends on whether LaFleur and Saleh view him as a good potential fit for this new offense.

I don't think they drafted James Morgan with the idea he's going to be the savior for the franchise.  He was drafted with the idea of him being a long-term backup, spot starter.  The success rate of QBs in Rounds 2-5 are pretty astronomical to begin with.  While you have your Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott's of the world, you also have a LOT Connor Cook and Tyler Mallett's who flame out into nothing.

55 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I don't think they drafted James Morgan with the idea he's going to be the savior for the franchise.  He was drafted with the idea of him being a long-term backup, spot starter.  The success rate of QBs in Rounds 2-5 are pretty astronomical to begin with.  While you have your Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott's of the world, you also have a LOT Connor Cook and Tyler Mallett's who flame out into nothing.

He was drafted Bc NE loved him. And we saw enough in him to develop him as well and didn’t want them to get him. By no means is he the starter soon (I’d be pleasantly surprised if he was ala Romo). But I do think we don’t draft a developmental guy until we see that out

3 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Yeah but without Saleh, there is no Watson (potentially). An Adam Gase does not get any NFL player excited to play for that team.

To the first point it’s still an irrelevant comparison. 

To the second point you literally can’t prove that, he still had this team playing hard week in and week out. 

I could very easily see us going into the draft with a lot of needs taken care of. Lets say we do trade for Watson and give up our 1sts the next 3 years for him. We still own 23 and 34 and trade Darnold for a late 2nd. We resign the guys we should (Maye, Poole, Elf, Hewitt). We should still have a good amount of cap after cuts to address other spots. Sherman at CB, Thuney at OG. That sets us in the secondary for starters and sets us on the OL for starters. We get a star WR (pick your favorite) Lets say AR15 bc he clearly has been all over us in social media. Now the WR room looks great with AR15, Mims and Crowder as starters. 

This leaves us with only RB and Edge as our main needs then with those early picks. We should be able to land a very good talent at each spot with these 2 positions.  

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I could very easily see us going into the draft with a lot of needs taken care of. Lets say we do trade for Watson and give up our 1sts the next 3 years for him. We still own 23 and 34 and trade Darnold for a late 2nd. We resign the guys we should (Maye, Poole, Elf, Hewitt). We should still have a good amount of cap after cuts to address other spots. Sherman at CB, Thuney at OG. That sets us in the secondary for starters and sets us on the OL for starters. We get a star WR (pick your favorite) Lets say AR15 bc he clearly has been all over us in social media. Now the WR room looks great with AR15, Mims and Crowder as starters. 

This leaves us with only RB and Edge as our main needs then with those early picks. We should be able to land a very good talent at each spot with these 2 positions.  

There is a lot of ways to go and I do agree that we will have some of those holes filled by draft time. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

The history of these highly ranked TEs recently hasn't been good. I find it rather funny that so many are against a 1st round RB but are pro 1st round TE. 

Some think he can be WR at next level. Those people probably call him as 2nd best prospect. Others call him top 10 and they keep him at TE.