2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

1 hour ago, xenajets said:

Well this is where we are half arsed in and half out. We can’t pick and choose where we help Sam. If he is to be the guy we roll with then every concentrated effort has to be made to surround him with as much talent as possible. Can’t scrimp and save. Can’t go half in. It’s all or nothing. 

Not really following your post. Are you suggesting that if we get a top end FA WR we should spend our first pick on a WR?  Are you suggesting that only offense should be acquired in order to help Sam?  If so, then maybe the issue is Sam. Help is certainly needed. I never said otherwise. But if you are suggesting spending all our top resources on O, just for Sam then it it should be painfully obvious that Sam can’t be successful without top notch elite talent.   That is NOT the sign of a good QB. 

I think I’d rather give Sam another year than take Wilson or Fields at 2.

Trade back and get as many picks as possible. I’d love to land Chase though assuming they don’t go very far back.

Typical Jets luck that this year there is no stud pass rusher and the “generational” player (Sewell) plays the same position as one of our best players.

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

I think I’d rather give Sam another year than take Wilson or Fields at 2.

Trade back and get as many picks as possible. I’d love to land Chase though assuming they don’t go very far back.

Typical Jets luck that this year there is no stud pass rusher and the “generational” player (Sewell) plays the same position as one of our best players.

I've asked this of other posters and haven't gotten a good answer.  What is the plan next year if Sam struggles?  We win 6 games or so because we have better talent and we are picking around 10-12.

I see no reason to pass on a QB both of which are excellent prospects now.

Edited by Rockice_8

19 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I've asked this of other posters and haven't gotten a good answer.  What is the plan next year if Sam struggles?  We win 6 games or so because we have better talent and we are picking around 10-12.

I see no reason to pass on a QB both of which are excellent prospects now.

You don’t NEED a top 3 pick to get a good QB. I’d rather have Josh Allen, Mahomes, Watson, or Lamar over Baker, Trubisky, or Darnold. We can take the next Zach Wilson if we have to. I don’t recall anyone talking about Zach Wilson being a top 5 pick this time last year. I just don’t hold Fields or Wilson in the same regard you do, which is fine. I don’t think they are “bad” prospects, but I’m not spending 2OA on either one.

If we are going to draft a QB this year, my preferred option is honestly Lance and sitting him for a year. There’s no science to hitting on a FQB. 

18 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

You don’t NEED a top 3 pick to get a good QB. I’d rather have Josh Allen, Mahomes, Watson, or Lamar over Baker, Trubisky, or Darnold. We can take the next Zach Wilson if we have to. I don’t recall anyone talking about Zach Wilson being a top 5 pick this time last year. I just don’t hold Fields or Wilson in the same regard you do, which is fine. I don’t think they are “bad” prospects, but I’m not spending 2OA on either one.

If we are going to draft a QB this year, my preferred option is honestly Lance and sitting him for a year. There’s no science to hitting on a FQB. 

It’s a great point. If you actually look at the majority of the franchise QBs on teams right now (and really throughout the last few years)... most weren’t top 3 picks.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s a great point. If you actually look at the majority of the franchise QBs on teams right now (and really throughout the last few years)... most weren’t top 3 picks.

I honestly think, except for the truly “elite” prospects like Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck, the situation the QB is put into is almost as important as said QBs “talent”

52 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I've asked this of other posters and haven't gotten a good answer.  What is the plan next year if Sam struggles?

I don’t know if this answer will be good. Such a subjective word. But really if the Jets win 6 games we could be picking between 8 - 12. This is all assumption of course. There will be no FA QB’s so we will have to draft or trade. We can certainly get a QB at 8 - 12 but I am not even sure who will be considered as potential 1st round QB’s. I can’t see JD trading up nor do I see him spending high end draft capital to trade for one. I mean, if he won’t do it for Watson, I doubt he does it for a lesser player.

My guess is he just takes one at 8 - 12 and signs a FA vet. He may even try to keep Sam on a one year deal. 

28 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

You don’t NEED a top 3 pick to get a good QB.

No you don’t. It all comes down to the scouting department and the GM. I can almost envision JD trading down this year and selecting Jones or Lance. Maybe even wait until round 2 for Trask, Mond or Purdy etc. Waiting until round two kind of hedges our bets. If Sam flops but we win enough to be out of the top prospect running in 2022, maybe we have a “starter” for next year. 

37 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Sure you don't a top 3 pick for a QB but when you picking there and need a QB you should take one.  Especially when there are two prospects worthy of the selection.

My worry is becoming the Bears.  Solid team no QB and in no position to land one.  If it were that easy to just build the team first and then grab your QB later teams like CHI, SF, WAS, etc wouldn't be stuck in QB purgatory like they are now.

It's easy to say just grab one next year but the further down the board you go the more flaws the prospect will have.  When you need a QB and one is there worth taking you should take them.  

4 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Sure you don't a top 3 pick for a QB but when you picking there and need a QB you should take one.  Especially when there are two prospects worthy of the selection.

My worry is becoming the Bears.  Solid team no QB and in no position to land one.  If it were that easy to just build the team first and then grab your QB later teams like CHI, SF, WAS, etc wouldn't be stuck in QB purgatory like they are now.

It's easy to say just grab one next year but the further down the board you go the more flaws the prospect will have.  When you need a QB and one is there worth taking you should take them.  

But that’s it. I’m not sure JD is totally sold on Wilson or Fields. If he doesn’t love one of them. He’s not going to draft one just to draft a QB.

17 minutes ago, xrade said:

No you don’t. It all comes down to the scouting department and the GM. I can almost envision JD trading down this year and selecting Jones or Lance. Maybe even wait until round 2 for Trask, Mond or Purdy etc. Waiting until round two kind of hedges our bets. If Sam flops but we win enough to be out of the top prospect running in 2022, maybe we have a “starter” for next year. 

Or you get stuck in QB hell.  They are hard enough to find as it is and we have two great prospects to pick from and we are going to pass on both?  Hoping the next Rodgers falls into out lap is not really a great strategy.  What if next year your scouts don't like the mid round QBs?  Just going to grab the next Mariota on the market and hope for the best?  We just going to keep swinging at the next James Morgan every draft?

Can't just keep winning 7-9 games every year or you are out of a job eventually.

We aren't strapped for assets we can build around a QB at 2.  He's not coming into a team with nothing to work with.

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

Or you get stuck in QB hell.  They are hard enough to find as it is and we have two great prospects to pick from and we are going to pass on both?  Hoping the next Rodgers falls into out lap is not really a great strategy.  What if next year your scouts don't like the mid round QBs?  Just going to grab the next Mariota on the market and hope for the best?  We just going to keep swinging at the next James Morgan every draft?

Can't just keep winning 7-9 games every year or you are out of a job eventually.

We aren't strapped for assets we can build around a QB at 2.  He's not coming into a team with nothing to work with.

Every time this team has had a good OL, very good WRs and a running game we’ve been good. With all types of QBs.