2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

20 hours ago, SDotNova said:

I’m pro going QB at 2. Wilson in particular.

If we’re able to trade back, that’s fine also. This to me pushes back the QB decision. Buys us another year to assess Darnold. Maybe we find lightning in a bottle.

The worse thing we can do is stay at 2 and take a non-QB. There’s no non-QB worth that pick in this draft. And If we get additional 2022 draft picks, It also hedges the likely possibility that Darnold continues to suck. 

I disagree with this. There are at least three players who are not QBs and are considered quite possibly the second-best prospect in this draft: Sewell, Smith and Chase. There may be more as we get closer to the draft. Also, there is no consensus on which quarterback should go second after Lawrence. That is also problematic. 

In 2018, to me it was clear and obvious that the best player available was Quenton Nelson. We chose to go QB. It was not the right decision.

And, passing on a QB at No. 2 is not a ringing endorsement that we must keep Darnold long term. It just means there is too much on the line with that second pick. Don't mess up yet again.

Sure, if someone offers you something major to move up to No. 2, take the package. If not, take the best player available. We need talent. We need bodies. We need starters.

25 minutes ago, xrade said:

Not that I think we will get either one, but after watching Smith play, he is awesome. He won the Heisman. When was the last time a WR won the Heisman?  As for Chase, I did not see him play so I have no comment on him.

I will say, as I have stated before, I am not a fan of players using the Covid excuse to sit out and “train” for the NFL. The best  training takes place on the field. I question their loyalty to their teammates. I also think the sitting out thing will hurt their draft stock a little. If I had a choice, Smith all day over Chase.

I disagree with this as well. These guys are not bailing on their professional teams, they are thinking (smartly at that) about their pro futures. Too many NCAA players are wasted because they don't plan ahead. 

To me it shows great commitment to the pro ranks, which is what we should want.

On 2/6/2021 at 11:48 AM, Jag68Sid87 said:

I disagree with this. There are at least three players who are not QBs and are considered quite possibly the second-best prospect in this draft: Sewell, Smith and Chase. There may be more as we get closer to the draft. Also, there is no consensus on which quarterback should go second after Lawrence. That is also problematic. 

In 2018, to me it was clear and obvious that the best player available was Quenton Nelson. We chose to go QB. It was not the right decision.

And, passing on a QB at No. 2 is not a ringing endorsement that we must keep Darnold long term. It just means there is too much on the line with that second pick. Don't mess up yet again.

Sure, if someone offers you something major to move up to No. 2, take the package. If not, take the best player available. We need talent. We need bodies. We need starters.

I disagree with this as well. These guys are not bailing on their professional teams, they are thinking (smartly at that) about their pro futures. Too many NCAA players are wasted because they don't plan ahead. 

Mosley played 3/4 of one game and we haven't seen him in two years if that is showing commitment i don't want any part of him.

41 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Mosley played 3/4 of one game and we haven't seen him in two years if that is showing commitment i don't want any part of him.

So an injury was his fault? And sitting out a year (which he was entitled to) is being used against him?

Come on

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

So an injury was his fault? And sitting out a year (which he was entitled to) is being used against him?

Come on

Yes he went vegan, it is his fault lol. 

But seriously the guy hasn’t played in over two seasons I’m not expecting him to contribute unless he’s Thomas Davis and busts his a$$ every year to get back on the field. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

And sitting out a year (which he was entitled to) is being used against him

Was he entitled? Absolutely. Was is right? Maybe not. If he was truly afraid of getting sick or living with someone more prone to getting sick, then I feel sitting out is justified, as was the spirit of the option. If he did it because he wanted a year off, then it is not justified no matter how entitled he was. I question his love of the game and in particular his desire to play for the Jets. I guess we will see this year.

I am curious if the league will allow this again. If so, the owners may want to change the tolling option or rule. 

Edited by xrade
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, xrade said:

Was he entitled? Absolutely. Was is right? Maybe not. If he was truly afraid of getting sick or living with someone more prone to getting sick, then I feel sitting out is justified, as was the spirit of the option. If he did it because he wanted a year off, then it is not justified no matter how entitled he was. I question his love of the game and in particular his desire to play for the Jets. I guess we will see this year.

I am curious if the league will allow this again. If so, the owners may want to change the tolling option or rule. 

That time, we were struggling to grasp a knowledge of how to handle the VID. You had to make a decision that benefits you and your family. There is no right or wrong in that time.

One year after,  we have better understanding of how to handle the VID as well as vaccines are almost ready for common people (latest phrase).  If there is opt out availability for 2021 season then Mosley has to renew his decision.  

Family in good hands.

A variety of communication come in very handy. 

Responsibility of Jets/Giants has been outstanding. 

That is plenty for Mosley not to be sacred.   If Mosley opts out again, we can begin cussing at him.  Right now, we have no business pressing on Mosley.

Edited by JetsandI

I don't see why Mosley can't cme back with a year of rest and do well. He was one of the top ILB in the league a few years agi. No way his play dropped off because he is still in his prime. I think we have another 2-3 good years with him. He will be the ILB stud that Saleh wants. 

3 hours ago, JetsandI said:

There is no right or wrong in that time

I will repeat myself. If he opted out because of fear if illness to him or others that would be in close contact with him, that is fine in my book. It is why the opt was enacted. If he chose to sit and use that as an excuse because he wanted a year off, that is not fine and, quite frankly, I would be surprised at anyone who thinks it is. Since I do not know his situation nor have I heard if anything, it could be one or the other. If there is evidence of staying home because of fear or the virus, I would like to hear it.  I know there were players with a newborn or infant in the house or other players that were caring for an elderly person. Was Mosley one of them?

55 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I don't see why Mosley can't cme back with a year of rest and do well. He was one of the top ILB in the league a few years agi. No way his play dropped off because he is still in his prime. I think we have another 2-3 good years with him. He will be the ILB stud that Saleh wants. 

Very true. He may come back and pick up where he left off. Or, like Leveon, he could not. It will be interesting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

Leveon Bell

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 7:42 AM, Bobby816 said:

Really don't like the edge class this year. I do like the CB class though.

The 3 scenarios I see happening are this...

1. We trade for Watson and have to give up the 2nd pick and obviously more.

2. We draft a QB at 2. But then we need to draft offense after that. If we think just a QB change is all we need... we are in big trouble. That 23rd and 34th picks need to be used to help the offense as well. WR and OL ideally. Maybe even RB at 34 if Harris or Etienne are there.

3. We stick with Darnold. For me if we do that we should be trading out of that 2nd spot to a QB needy team. The perfect trade for me is to just move back to 4 and ATL drafts their QB for the future. Letting us still able to draft one of Smith, Chase or Sewell. Acquiring their 35th pick and 68th picks as well. That then leaves us still having the 23, 34, 35, 66, 68, 86 and 97 picks in the top 100. 

The way this offseason is going I see no way we keep Darnold. There is such a high demand for QB's and they're going at a premium. Trade Darnold for plus value NOW while the Eagles haggle over Wentz's value and we might be able to give the Texans three 1sts this year for Watson. Or just keep those picks, take your QBOTF at 2 and build around him with 19/20/21 (WFT/CHI/IND back to back to back - strong trade candidates for Darnold), 23, and 34. 

Like everything else except taking an RB that high.

On 2/6/2021 at 11:48 AM, Jag68Sid87 said:

The only issue is that if you pass on a QB and Darnold is once again a clear bust next year, you're in no mans land in 2022. The QB class next year is much weaker than this year, I would hate to miss out on what Zach Wilson could become if he hits 100% on his potential and we get stuck with Kedon Slovis who I hate (and is another USC QB, do we really want that?)

Don't think this is an offensive and passing league?...

Go look at McShay's mock draft. 1st 8 picks are all QBs, WRs and 1 OT.

And before jumping the gun saying he's saying for sure we are going Wilson... on ESPN this morning he did talk about us maybe sticking with Darnold and trading out of the pick as well.

Really left the door open to anything with us.

He was JDs college roommate FYI.