2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

58 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Don't think this is an offensive and passing league?...

Go look at McShay's mock draft. 1st 8 picks are all QBs, WRs and 1 OT.

And before jumping the gun saying he's saying for sure we are going Wilson... on ESPN this morning he did talk about us maybe sticking with Darnold and trading out of the pick as well.

Really left the door open to anything with us.

He was JDs college roommate FYI.

He said Wilson is a tier below Lawrence, Lance a tier below Wilson and Fields just behind Lance.  If they can get a 1st this year, or 3rd plus future 1st they might take the picks then roll with Wilson because he has traits that show he can be special.  If they stick with Darnold then it's a trade down with all these teams wanting QBs.

Carolina sounds desperate, what could we get...1st, 2nd, future 1st, player/pick? 

If we keep Darnold and trade down let's rank the best scenarios:

Carolina- #8, 2nd round pick, future 1st, another pick

Atlanta- #4, 2nd round pick, future 1st

Bengals- incase they are desperate for Sewell #5, 2nd round pick

Broncos- #9, 2nd round pick, future first 2022 and 2023...would really have to beat out Carolina and it's a big drop

Eagles- rumors are they have to trade away picks to get rid of Wentz so can't see this one

San Fran- 1st, 2nd, future first 2022 and 2023, future 2nd or player

We could get a nice haul from Carolina and have guys like Pitts, Parsons, Phillips, maybe Chase falls, but are those guys worth dropping down to #8? Pitts I'd rather trade back up for and IDK if Phillips is great as an edge guy.  

After typing this out I think best direction is either squeezing a first out of someone for Darnold or Darnold + Seattle 3rd and grabbing Wilson and still having two firsts to support him or go up and grab a guy. We can grab a WR like Toney and still have the option to add OL/DE/CB depending on FA. Next option would be keep Darnold, trade back no further than Bengals and grab Chase/Smith.  I think it would be foolish to not take WRs on their level if we are keeping Sam. 

2020- besides Jax CB who I was/am unfamiliar with, Young, Simmons and Brown were considered can't miss, high upside, high floor.

2019- Bosa, Q, White, Allen, Oliver and Bush were all great D prospects but man can't believe how many guys were drafted on defense in the 1st round.  That offensive talent isn't looking great

Ok nevermind, continuing to go back it seems like the talent is dictating how the draft goes.  With the talent favoring the offensive side of the ball I don't see many guys on D worth the top 15.

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He also has us drafting Etienne at 23.

I saw a couple of the “experts” mocks and several have us taking a RB at 23 or 34. I do not think they are anymore informed than dedicated fans.

Etienne may be the best fit of the top 2 or 3 RB’s. I would really like Sermon, Williams or Gainwell in round 3. Those three seem the most realistic options for JD. I just can’t see him taking RB in the first 34.

3 minutes ago, xrade said:

I saw a couple of the “experts” mocks and several have us taking a RB at 23 or 34. I do not think they are anymore informed than dedicated fans.

Etienne may be the best fit of the top 2 or 3 RB’s. I would really like Sermon, Williams or Gainwell in round 3. Those three seem the most realistic options for JD. I just can’t see him taking RB in the first 34.

Yeah both SF and GB have had multiple backs in the action.  Can't see us drafting Harris to be a lead back or wasting a pick on Etienne to have him split duties.

14 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Ok nevermind, continuing to go back it seems like the talent is dictating how the draft goes.  With the talent favoring the offensive side of the ball I don't see many guys on D worth the top 15.

Certain positions are valued higher than others and prospects who play those positions may be drafted higher than “more talented” players at other positions.

All you need to do is look at the FT numbers.

QB- $24.828M WR- $15.808M CB- $14.895M LB- $14.630M DE- $14.530M DT- $13.736M OL- $13.602M S- $10.496M TE- $8.496M RB- $8.074M P/K- $4.433M

QB is the most over drafted position. We all kind of know that. Teams then value WR, CB etc. This list should be further broken down especially when it comes to pass rushers and LT’s. Lumping a pass rusher in with LB and DE raises these numbers and, conversely, ILB or a 3-4 DE lowers them. Same at OL. LT will raise these numbers while OG lowers them. That said, QB, WR, CB, pass rusher (PR), LT are the most in demand positions.

Now look at the most talented players at those positions this year in the top 15. 3-4 QB, 2-3 WR, 1-2 CB, 1 PR, 3 OT. Add 1 TE and 1 LB and you can see that about 11 of the top 15 are all on the O side.

This can be done for almost any draft.  Use the FT numbers and then compare that to the most accepted talented players coming out and you can figure how the draft may unfold.  Unless, of course, you are the Al Davis run Raiders. 

44 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Yeah both SF and GB have had multiple backs in the action.  Can't see us drafting Harris to be a lead back or wasting a pick on Etienne to have him split duties.

It's hard to tell. You cant always take what a team did before to a new team. LaFleur might have always wanted a star back and SF didn't give him one. We have no clue. And quite frankly what GB has done at RB doesn't concern us. Just bc his brother is there doesn't mean anything for us.

He also was the passing game coordinator in SF. So he didn't really have much to do with the RBs. If anything that might help that he would really like Harris and Etienne bc they're both talented receiving backs. 

I'm torn on RB that early. Part of me says we need offensive help so bad, that it wouldn't be smart to pass on a great RB like Harris or Etienne at 23. Thinking one will fall to 34 just might not happen bc of how good they both are.

I totally get that you generally don't get the return on the investment of that quality of a pick on a RB. Bc they get so many touches in those 1st 4-5 years. And bc of that you have to odds of a holdout after that pretty big. Where most other positions if you hit on the pick and opt to resign them you get a good 7-8 years on the investment of that pick.

But I think adding talent in general on offense needs to be considered. I guess a lot will change in my opinion on the RB issue based on how FA goes. 

49 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

That's why I haven't bothered doing a mock.  Really all depends on FA and what we want to do with QB.  

That is kind of true for any year. This year just seems more confusing because of all the possible scenarios. 

22 hours ago, jetjuice said:

The only issue is that if you pass on a QB and Darnold is once again a clear bust next year, you're in no mans land in 2022. The QB class next year is much weaker than this year, I would hate to miss out on what Zach Wilson could become if he hits 100% on his potential and we get stuck with Kedon Slovis who I hate (and is another USC QB, do we really want that?)

Well, I think you are jumping the gun quite a bit. Every year, quarterbacks emerge from college, and personally I am not very comfortable in saying this year's class is so much better than next year...what if next year they actually play with fans in the stands? 

Are you really prepared to put all your eggs in the Zach Wilson basket in this interrupted season with no sense of normalcy? I mean, we have been good at finding QB busts even with the best of conditions. But under the COVID-19 situation that we are currently in? 

Again, we can draft a quarterback at 23, we can draft a quarterback at the beginning of Round 2. We don't have to put all the pressure in the world on the kid by taking him second overall and immediately anointing him the starter. That rarely works. It surely does not work for us.

Draft Sewell or Smith (trade down if you can), trade Darnold for the best return possible, continue to build up our depth at all positions, bring in some quality free agents who can provide both experience and leadership. Sign a stopgap QB and develop the kid that you draft (at some point this year) so that when he is ready, the team is stable. That is how I would approach this.

I am tired of crashing and burning with the top-5 can't-miss quarterback who surely misses because, you know, Jets.

Just now, GangGreen420 said:

I’d like to trade back and draft Lance, but it looks like he will go rather early.

I personal would take Mac Jones over Lance. I think trading down to say like 4 and pick up some picks. Then trade down again grab some more picks to say pick 6 or 7 and grab one of Sewell, Chase or D. Smith. Then grab Jones at 23. You could could have like 4 first round picks next year with a good LT in Becton then a good RT in Sewell or a good WR in D. Smoth or Chase and then add a good young QB like Jones makes it REALLY interesting. Having those guys and 4 first round picks next year can make this team go up fast.