2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

13 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I didn’t want to dig up the Becton thread. But I did want to point out that I did want Wirfs there instead of Becton. I thought he was the safer pick. And Wirfs had a better rookie year. Played every down for TB and only allowed 1 sack. Yes having TB as his QB helped... but he was still the best rookie IMO this year besides Herbert.

I love Becton. But I just feel like it should be noted that Wirfs did have a better year

Becton was still a stud for the most part. Justin Jefferson was the best rookie receiver and we as a fan base only considered Ruggs, Jeudy and Lamb at 11.

29 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s a friend and teammate looking out for a friend. There doesn’t have to be something in it for him to gain to speak highly of his friend.

Looking out or not letting a BS narrative impact his draft stock?

What if Wilson had a teammate come out and say he wasn't a leader and was selfish and entitled? That would be huge and people would run with it. When its the opposite it always gets thrown away as a friend or teammate simply helping a teammate/friend out. 

8 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Becton was still a stud for the most part. Justin Jefferson was the best rookie receiver and we as a fan base only considered Ruggs, Jeudy and Lamb at 11.

Looking out or not letting a BS narrative impact his draft stock?

What if Wilson had a teammate come out and say he wasn't a leader and was selfish and entitled? That would be huge and people would run with it. When its the opposite it always gets thrown away as a friend or teammate simply helping a teammate/friend out. 

If Lamb had Dak throwing to him the whole season he would’ve outdone Jefferson IMO. But I did love both of them.

15 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I'm glad Wilson's teammate spoke up for him. His character was already being questioned and the none captain report was just giving people another reason to say something negative. I like Lance more, but I like Wilson and would be happy with him as well. 

Starting to really like Lance too but not at 2 I would want to trade down. 

The Wilson story has to be the stupidest thing to come out in a while. He literally has a C on his jersey and people are ready to say no thanks because some idiot tweeted the contrary. 

Tis the season of misinformation, misdirection, and outright lies. Listen to none of it unless it is substantiated. Wait until the week before the draft when all the really good stuff comes out.

The Wilson stuff reminds me a lot of the Rosen talks a few years ago. Because he is from money, people will question everything about him and make wild conclusions over scant info and hearsay.  Those who don’t like Wilson will believe it because it fits their narrative. Those who do like him will dismiss it. It is how everything goes nowadays. 

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

The Wilson story has to be the stupidest thing to come out in a while. He literally has a C on his jersey and people are ready to say no thanks because some idiot tweeted the contrary. 

I'm honestly at the point of just getting the right guy and don't risk too much. If we can trade back and get him, I'd love it. If we pick him at #2, I'm still good. I don't want to trade back too far and assume another team won't jump in front of us to get him. 

Yeah, they've been trying to target his character for a while because he has wealthy parents apparently. He's going to be good in the right system. I'm still worried about that one year difference from the previous season, but his tape looks really good. 

5 hours ago, ekill08x said:

To be fair I wanted nothing to do with him even before this. But if he has Josh Rosen vibes about him I want him even less. 

15 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

To be fair I wanted nothing to do with him even before this. But if he has Josh Rosen vibes about him I want him even less. 

But he doesn't have Josh Rosen vibes about him, there's more proof that the stories are BS rather than true. The kid was in fact a captain and his team mate took the time out to go to bat for him, his coach made a big post about how the spoiled rich kid narrative was total BS and was more than likely a tactic used by an NFL exec to get him to fall to their pick. The kid drove 10 hours multiple times over the summer to train with an elite QB coach. All signs point to him being a great leader, who's team mate and coaches respect and like him, who's completely invested in football and strives to be the best he can be.

Edited by mattmanz91
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I'm not going to pretend like I've watched Wirfs but isn't he playing RT? and also play a full season?

Becton was virtually flawless this year minus Ferrell and a few plays here and there.  Only knock was his injuries.

Becton wasn't flawless but he was damn good. He didn't handle speed well but was a force against power rushers and we were damn near Elite running behind him. 

Spent a lot time the last few days trying to finalize my opinion on all these QBs. Now I can just sit back and see what happens.

My ranking of all possible scenarios 

1) Watson for 3 first. If it’s any more than that, I don’t think it makes sense for us.

2) Lawrence. I actually think Fields has a higher upside. But Lawrence has a much higher floor giving he has shown the ability to beat the blitz. But Lawrence has elite arm strength, very good accuracy, and good athleticism.

3) Fields. Has elite accuracy and athleticism. Has a very strong arm. Needs a strong OL and QB friendly system to be successful. I would draft him at #2 and trade Darnold. My comp for Fields is McNabb. Haven’t heard anyone compare him to McNabb. So curious what y’all think.

4) Wilson. I would not draft him at 2. Has a strong arm and good athleticism. But doesn’t do anything at an elite level. Has some backyard ball in him which can be good and bad. His style of play actually reminds me of Mahomes.

5) Darnold. This is where I would rank Darnold relative to these QB we have a chance of getting.

I would not draft any other QB at any spot. I like Mac Jones but not for our team. He’d be a great fit for NE.

32 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Spent a lot time the last few days trying to finalize my opinion on all these QBs. Now I can just sit back and see what happens.

My ranking of all possible scenarios 

1) Watson for 3 first. If it’s any more than that, I don’t think it makes sense for us.

2) Lawrence. I actually think Fields has a higher upside. But Lawrence has a much higher floor giving he has shown the ability to beat the blitz. But Lawrence has elite arm strength, very good accuracy, and good athleticism.

3) Fields. Has elite accuracy and athleticism. Has a very strong arm. Needs a strong OL and QB friendly system to be successful. I would draft him at #2 and trade Darnold. My comp for Fields is McNabb. Haven’t heard anyone compare him to McNabb. So curious what y’all think.

4) Wilson. I would not draft him at 2. Has a strong arm and good athleticism. But doesn’t do anything at an elite level. Has some backyard ball in him which can be good and bad. His style of play actually reminds me of Mahomes.

5) Darnold. This is where I would rank Darnold relative to these QB we have a chance of getting.

I would not draft any other QB at any spot. I like Mac Jones but not for our team. He’d be a great fit for NE.

Wilson is way more accurate than Fields, has better field vision, arm strength, throw motion is way smoother, better feet and eyes. 

12 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Wilson is way more accurate than Fields, has better field vision, arm strength, throw motion is way smoother, better feet and eyes. 

Agreed. But he was drafted 75th overall with those traits. And yes he displayed them in college.