2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I just ask myself this... who helps this team out more? And this is just an example...

Asante Samuel at CB at 23

or

Najee Harris at RB at 23

For me Harris easily helps this team out more

I ask it another way. Samuel at 23 AND Williams at 66 or Harris at 23 AND a 3rd rd. CB?

For the record, I am not the biggest Samuel fan and would prefer another route if Samuel was the only option. This is why I said it depends on who is available. I also believe  a starting RB will be available in round 3 but not so for CB and we need a starting caliber CB.

43 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

You can pick up RB that can do very well if you get a good OL like you said. Most of the RB that are drafted in the 4-6 round are just as good. Hunt, Kamara, Conner, Jamal Williams, Cris Carosn ( 7th round), Drake, David Johnson where all drafted in the 3rd round or later. I just think most of the RB can do well. You don't need a Barkley, Elliot type guy to win. 

Ya guys like Perine, Cannon, McGuire, Gannaway, Powell, McKnight, Greene.

How did all of them do for us? Some were decent 2nd fiddle guys. But never a different maker. And that’s what you generally get in those mid rounds.

12 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Ya guys like Perine, Cannon, McGuire, Gannaway, Powell, McKnight, Greene.

How did all of them do for us? Some were decent 2nd fiddle guys. But never a different maker. And that’s what you generally get in those mid rounds.

Alvin Kamala, Kareem Hunt and Aaron Jones beg to differ. 

• Like 1

How high to draft a RB seems to always get lines drawn. I learned the hard way when I mocked him to us back in November. 😂Najee would be a great addition to our team. He can do it all and brings a level of physicality that will help our team set a tone in games.

But I get the argument for the committee backs and building a strong OL.

Edited by SDotNova

23 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

How high to draft a RB seems to always get lines drawn. I learned the hard way when I mocked him to us back in November. 😂Najee would be a great addition to our team. He can do it all and brings a level of physicality that will help our team set a tone in games.

But I get the argument for the committee backs and building a strong OL.

Would love Najee but would he fit our scheme?  I dunno. If LaFleur follows SF’s RB game plan, I don’t see RB until rd. 3. Just a guess on my part. What I will state is that a team that wants that 3 down RB, it would be best to have the OL in place first. Then get the back. For us, right now, I would rather spend my resources elsewhere. Get that stud RB high in the draft when more pressing holes are filled.

And again I ask, is there that big of a drop off between Harris and, say, Sermon or Williams?  At least enough to justify a FRP vs a TRP?  

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Well a good QB can be found not in the 1st round. A good OG, a good edge. I can keep going.

That is very true, the only things the odds are against you. i AM worried about the FA market are players willing to come to NJ with the uncertainty with the Jets, at the QB position, and Jet weak roster. I always hated the idea of trading down, but the way thing are shaping up it could be a real option this year, to drop two or three spots, and still  be in position to draft a QB. The only move I am dead against giving all those real good. draft picks away to get one player. I only know about three monster trades in the NFL since 1952, all the teams that initiate the trades were a disaster for eight years. The NY Giants gave up many first & second picks to get Fran Tarkenton. The Viking gave up a mess of first round picks to get Herschel Walker, and one of the picks the Cowboys got was HOF Troy Aikman,  and the Rams gave up 11 roster players to get Ollie Matson, all these trade we all one sided, that is one of the reason you just multi team trades in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Well a good QB can be found not in the 1st round. A good OG, a good edge. I can keep going.

True, but the evidence of a RB succeeding is greater vs those positions. And let’s not forget that the teams that drafted Henry, Elliot, Jones, Chubb all had OL’s established. Ours is not. Ask yourself if any of those backs would be even be remotely successful here. Probably not yet. Give it a year or two, get the OL fixed, then go after that big time RB prospect if we need it. 

1 minute ago, xrade said:

True, but the evidence of a RB succeeding is greater vs those positions. And let’s not forget that the teams that drafted Henry, Elliot, Jones, Chubb all had OL’s established. Ours is not. Ask yourself if any of those backs would be even be remotely successful here. Probably not yet. Give it a year or two, get the OL fixed, then go after that big time RB prospect if we need it. 

The argue lent that a RB isn’t worth a 1st round draft picks ends at the shelf life. You just generally don’t get 10 good years out of them like you might get out of some other positions. But they touch the ball a ton. So in the short term 5-6 years. They can big time help.

But let’s looks at our 1st round draft history... how many guys have we got more than 5-6 good years out of in recent years?

If I can go back and think I’d say only Revis, DBrick, Mangold. And these are guys drafted 15-16 years ago

37 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The argue lent that a RB isn’t worth a 1st round draft picks ends at the shelf life. You just generally don’t get 10 good years out of them like you might get out of some other positions. But they touch the ball a ton. So in the short term 5-6 years. They can big time help.

But let’s looks at our 1st round draft history... how many guys have we got more than 5-6 good years out of in recent years?

If I can go back and think I’d say only Revis, DBrick, Mangold. And these are guys drafted 15-16 years ago

Again, if we had the infrastructure, a FRP RB is good. I am being specific to this year for the Jets.

We all know Mac and Idzik were horrible talent evaluators and Tannebaum was FA junkie. Let give JD time. 

14 hours ago, xrade said:

Again, if we had the infrastructure, a FRP RB is good. I am being specific to this year for the Jets.

We all know Mac and Idzik were horrible talent evaluators and Tannebaum was FA junkie. Let give JD time. 

Would signing a guy like a Thuney at OG, so our OL is a strength for us and let’s say drafted a QB at 2.

RB at 23 would actually make a lot of sense. Gives us an identity. And help groom a QB. Bc we’d clearly not have a great passing game more than likely.

My point mainly is this.... guys like Harris and Etienne can help this offense out big time.

The argument for not getting them is you don’t get the return on the 1st round investment on a RB. When I pointed out that in the last 16 years... we’ve only had 3 guys give us a good return on our 1st round investment of them.

Its also that you can get a guy just as good in the mid rounds. And I named off our mid round RB history. Heck look just at last year with Perine in the mid rounds. He’s not moving the needle for us at RB.

I agree that if we don’t make the OL better, that we shouldn’t use a pick like that on a RB Bc it’d be wasted. But if we make the OL a strength... then to have a star RB behind that OL for 5-7 years... can really help this team and whoever is at QB.

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

My point mainly is this.... guys like Harris and Etienne can help this offense out big time.

The argument for not getting them is you don’t get the return on the 1st round investment on a RB. When I pointed out that in the last 16 years... we’ve only had 3 guys give us a good return on our 1st round investment of them.

Its also that you can get a guy just as good in the mid rounds. And I named off our mid round RB history. Heck look just at last year with Perine in the mid rounds. He’s not moving the needle for us at RB.

I agree that if we don’t make the OL better, that we shouldn’t use a pick like that on a RB Bc it’d be wasted. But if we make the OL a strength... then to have a star RB behind that OL for 5-7 years... can really help this team and whoever is at QB.

That is called bad scouting and GM. I think Shonn Greene was very good for us and Jordan was good too. You could put any RB behind our OL the last 2 years and they would struggle to average 3.5 yards a carry. This is a passing league period. You need WR and a QB with a good OL. Teams that run first just don’t make sense to me. Once the league moved to more PI your team needs to move that way. Heck if you are so crazy about  RB just grab Fournette or someone like this. Why waste draft capital on RB.