2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

5 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

That is called bad scouting and GM. I think Shonn Greene was very good for us and Jordan was good too. You could put any RB behind our OL the last 2 years and they would struggle to average 3.5 yards a carry. This is a passing league period. You need WR and a QB with a good OL. Teams that run first just don’t make sense to me. Once the league moved to more PI your team needs to move that way. Heck if you are so crazy about  RB just grab Fournette or someone like this. Why waste draft capital on RB.

I generally agree with you. But does TEN not have an identity with Henry? And Bc teams have to respect him it opens up the game for Tannehill with Brown and Davis? It’s not Tannehill and the WRs opening it up for Henry.

And I’d like to mention how good of Receivers both Harris and Etienne are. They aren’t just RBs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I generally agree with you. But does TEN not have an identity with Henry? And Bc teams have to respect him it opens up the game for Tannehill with Brown and Davis? It’s not Tannehill and the WRs opening it up for Henry.

And I’d like to mention how good of Receivers both Harris and Etienne are. They aren’t just RBs

I have to agree Harris is just to good to pass up on. Look at the RB that were draft very high  in the last few years. Derrick Henry, Christian Mc Caffery, Nick Chubb, all have been a huge part of their teams offensive. Right now we are so thin at the running back position, we need hep now.. not in the 5, 6,7, rounds we tried that for years and it didn't work.

18 hours ago, doumeyer said:

I always hated the idea of trading down, but the way thing are shaping up it could be a real option this year, to drop two or three spots, and still  be in position to draft a QB. The only move I am dead against giving all those real good. draft picks away to get one player. 

Just wanted to point out that if the intent is to draft a QB in round one there is no possible way to trade down first. If the Jets are sold on a guy as the franchise they simply have to take him at two. Imagine the nightmare of identifying your guy at qb and thinking you can pick him later and having another team pick him after you moved back. That is way too risky with the most important position on your team. And mind you, this is coming from a guy that wants us to trade back(or trade for watson)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, drew39k said:

Just wanted to point out that if the intent is to draft a QB in round one there is no possible way to trade down first. If the Jets are sold on a guy as the franchise they simply have to take him at two. Imagine the nightmare of identifying your guy at qb and thinking you can pick him later and having another team pick him after you moved back. That is way too risky with the most important position on your team. And mind you, this is coming from a guy that wants us to trade back(or trade for watson)

I agree. You must not love the guy if you don’t think he’s worth the 2nd pick. Which could very well happen

21 hours ago, xrade said:

Would love Najee but would he fit our scheme?  I dunno. If LaFleur follows SF’s RB game plan, I don’t see RB until rd. 3. Just a guess on my part. What I will state is that a team that wants that 3 down RB, it would be best to have the OL in place first. Then get the back. For us, right now, I would rather spend my resources elsewhere. Get that stud RB high in the draft when more pressing holes are filled.

And again I ask, is there that big of a drop off between Harris and, say, Sermon or Williams?  At least enough to justify a FRP vs a TRP?  

I don’t see why Najee Harris wouldn’t fit our scheme. He’s a good athlete, has vision and is a good receiver. Bama even puts him in the slot. To me, he’d be good in any scheme.

The draft is somewhat of a lottery. So it’s hard to tell what the drop off is going to be between a Harris and say Sermon. I don’t know.

What I can say is having a strong OL and a top RB is a huge help for a young QB. Yes, it’s a passing league. But before we can get there, let our QB grow and learn in a good environment. Russell Wilson was eased into the league with a strong running game. Now he has the experience to carry a team. Dak was eased into this league with a strong running game. Now he has the ability to carry a team. Man you can even go back to Brady who was asked to manage games at first. To me, it’s a safer way to handle your QB. Asking your young QB to sling it around can work but it’s riskier. Baker Mayfield is back to developing properly. Why? QB friendly system and a top running game that makes life easier for him.

Build out the OL first a foremost. After that a top RB and top WR are both really helpful for a young QB.

For me, a lot depends on FA. If we’re able to land a number 1 WR (of which they are only 3 in FA) the approach I would want kind of changes. 

Edited by SDotNova

4 hours ago, drew39k said:

There have been 4 quarterbacks taken second overall in the last 20 drafts...

- Mitchell Trubisky

- Carson Wentz

- Marcus Mariota

- Robert Griffin III

Even if a team is sold on a guy, does not mean that player will pan out. 

I say take the surer bet, not the QB with the all-important No. 2 overall pick.

2 hours ago, SDotNova said:

What I can say is having a strong OL and a top RB is a huge help for a young QB

Agreed. So let’s build the OL and get that top RB in a year or two.  There will be a good RB prospect next year. There always is.

Russell Wilson was eased into the league with a strong running game

That was how Seattle was built; ground and pound prior to Wilson’s arrival. In fact, I would argue that Wilson was brought in to manage the game. Turns out he could do a lot more than that.  Let’s also not forget it was the D that really carried them.

Dak was eased into this league with a strong running game. Now he has the ability to carry a team

Dak was brought in after the OL was built and established. I am suggesting the same thing. I will question Dak’s ability to carry the team anymore. OL was weakened this year and Dak suffered. 

Build out the OL first a foremost. After that a top RB and top WR are both really helpful for a young QB.

Such is my suggestion. I think we are on the same page. Mine is build the OL, get a TRP RB this year. Then see if we need to spend a FRP on n 2022. It could be that TRP back will turn into the next Jones or Hunt and we can then forsake the high draft pick RB.

• Like 1

The way I see it now there is no way we are going to get a impact WR in the draft this year, After we pick at two, at 3 Miami, 4 Falcons, 5 Bengals, 6 Eagles. 7 Lions. Each one of these teams has a dire need at WR. So our best bet is in the FA market, with players like Allen  Robinson, Chris Goodwin, Ju Ju Schuster, Corey Davis, or TE Hunter Henry, We have a good chance of getting defensive help in the FA Market players like Bud Dupree. But this could all change if Douglas, doesn't make a change at QB. Now you see why we are had next to nothing in Mock drafts this year on this board. It is Impossible to have a Mock draft till we know that we are going to do at the QB position. This whole thing would been so much easer if we  got Trever Lawrence, it sure would have help in getting FA players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

The way I see it now there is no way we are going to get a impact WR in the draft this year, After we pick at two, at 3 Miami, 4 Falcons, 5 Bengals, 6 Eagles. 7 Lions. Each one of these teams has a dire need at WR. So our best bet is in the FA market, with players like Allen  Robinson, Chris Goodwin, Ju Ju Schuster, Corey Davis, or TE Hunter Henry, We have a good chance of getting defensive help in the FA Market players like Bud Dupree. But this could all change if Douglas, doesn't make a change at QB. Now you see why we are had next to nothing in Mock drafts this year on this board. It is Impossible to have a Mock draft till we know that we are going to do at the QB position. This whole thing would been so much easer if we  got Trever Lawrence, it sure would have help in getting FA players.

Some of the FA WR when they sign will knock some teams out. I would not put the Falcons on the list with Jones and Ridley. They are not throwing away pick 4 for a WR. If the Lions resign or tag Golliday  that would move them out too. I think a trade down to like 4th would be great and get either Smith or Chase. Then us that ammo to move up from 23 to grab Jones. 

I am fairly convinced that a quarterback will fall in this draft. If Mac Jones is going to rise because of his performance in the National Championship game, then someone else is going to fall. The teams that all need quarterbacks today won't all need them after the start of free agency, and after a few more guys get traded in the same vein as Stafford/Goff. 

So, grabbing the draft faller at 23 sounds like a good idea to me. Unless everybody here believes all of Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Lance and Jones are all being selected with the first 22 picks (21 really because I am suggesting we do not take a QB at 2).

Five QBs in 21 picks? Sure, it is possible. But I think it is somewhat unlikely.

Anyway, we may not have to wait until 23 anyway if we are able to trade down from No. 2 or if we can get more than expected for Darnold via trade.

Options are good.

22 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

There have been 4 quarterbacks taken second overall in the last 20 drafts...

- Mitchell Trubisky

- Carson Wentz

- Marcus Mariota

- Robert Griffin III

Even if a team is sold on a guy, does not mean that player will pan out. 

I say take the surer bet, not the QB with the all-important No. 2 overall pick.

This is why I hate this idea that we HAVE to draft a QB at 2. If JD loves one though I trust him.

With the Jets luck, we should scout our guy, do all of the due diligence, fall in love with one and then draft the OTHER guy.

• Like 1

It is possible a QB needy team gets a FA or via trade. However, the FA QB’s class is underwhelming and just filled with backups.  As for trades, right now only Wentz is available.  I don’t see Watson going anywhere. Maybe Sam, leaving us with an immediate need.

If we are not going to pick a QB at 2, why stay there. I think a trade down would be a great move and a highly probably move. So for the sake of argument let’s say we trade with Carolina at 8. Car is taking a QB at 2 and is there any doubt Atl. won’t take a QB at 4?  This leaves Lance and Jones. I can’t comment too much on Lance because I have not seen him play, but selecting either him or Jones at 8 seems a bit high. Not to mention if we really want a QB why not pick one at 2. If this logic is sound, this leaves us with no QB until pick 23. If we are not sticking with Sam would it really be wise to hope Jones or Lance are there at 23? Would you expect our GM to take that risk? It is not a smart risk to take.

If JD wants a QB this year, just get one at 2 and don’t **** around trying to be cute. If he keeps Sam and wants a developmental QB in case Sam sucks again get one on day 2 and see if can be a starting QB in 2022. 

Edited by xrade

37 minutes ago, xrade said:

It is possible a QB needy team gets a FA or via trade. However, the FA QB’s class is underwhelming and just filled with backups.  As for trades, right now only Wentz is available.  I don’t see Watson going anywhere. Maybe Sam, leaving us with an immediate need.

If we are not going to pick a QB at 2, why stay there. I think a trade down would be a great move and a highly probably move. So for the sake of argument let’s say we trade with Carolina at 8. Car is taking a QB at 2 and is there any doubt Atl. won’t take a QB at 4?  This leaves Lance and Jones. I can’t comment too much on Lance because I have not seen him play, but selecting either him or Jones at 8 seems a bit high. Not to mention if we really want a QB why not pick one at 2. If this logic is sound, this leaves us with no QB until pick 23. If we are not sticking with Sam would it really be wise to hope Jones or Lance are there at 23? Would you expect our GM to take that risk? It is not a smart risk to take.

If JD wants a QB this year, just get one at 2 and don’t **** around trying to be cute. If he keeps Sam and wants a developmental QB in case Sam sucks again get one on day 2 and see if can be a starting QB in 2022. 

IMO the longer we wait the less value we can get for Darnold if we do trade him.

Ive read reports that we are still in the process of deciding if we think he’s worth rolling with and if they love any of the QBs they can draft at 2. I’m sure getting a clear value for Watson plays a part too.

Ultimately I think make the move for Watson or trade Darnold and decide on a. Drafted QB.

I would expect it to take until close to the league new year for any news to come out. It is a busy time for a new coaching staff. Aside from Sam, they have FA and prospect evaluations. I am sure they are being thorough. And tight lipped.