2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

4 hours ago, xrade said:

With the BS talk of Wilson being viewed as better than Lawrence, what does everyone think as far as Wilson going #1?  Personally, I think the odds of that happening are 2%. 1% because I rarely deal in absolutes and 1% because Jax has Meyers and he may be a wild card. 

There is a 0% chance. Any Jets fan that honestly believes teams have Wilson rated higher than Lawrence are just trying to make themselves feel better about losing 1OA.

8 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Or he could be the QB from his 2 previous years in college. When has Fields really ever just looked bad for any stretch in his life?

On the same side of the argument when has Fields never not had the best supporting cast possible. 

And you keep mentioning Wilson's first two years, his freshman year(a true freshman) was good, his sophomore obviously wasn't but then he took a huge step post injury. 

I think our system should determine who plays QB in 2021, regardless of whether we are talking about the No. 2 pick in the draft or free agent veterans. Flacco does not strike me as a good fit for this offense, but I think a guy like Alex Smith fits in nicely. 

Also, I think Wilson fits the system better than Fields.

The only quarterback in this draft that you build your system around is Lawrence. The only "available" quarterbacks that you build your system around if you trade for them are Deshaun Watson and Dak Prescott. 

Otherwise, we should take the new system into account when making our QB decisions. 

I personally like Wilson better for the fact that his tape shows better and quicker processing than Fields tape, however I do think Fields could still be very good in this offense especially if its built mainly around the run at first until he gets more comfortable. 

Even though I have Wilson ahead of Fields at the moment my biggest issue with Wilson is his size. He may be around 6'1 but he is rail thin and is an injury waiting to happen unless he can put on some mass. 

35 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

I personally like Wilson better for the fact that his tape shows better and quicker processing than Fields tape, however I do think Fields could still be very good in this offense especially if its built mainly around the run at first until he gets more comfortable. 

Even though I have Wilson ahead of Fields at the moment my biggest issue with Wilson is his size. He may be around 6'1 but he is rail thin and is an injury waiting to happen unless he can put on some mass. 

I know he doesn’t necessarily play like it Bc he’s not exactly scared of getting hit... but he is a pretty boy. Not sure I could deal with seeing a boy band singer as our QB 😉 

14 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

On the same side of the argument when has Fields never not had the best supporting cast possible. 

And you keep mentioning Wilson's first two years, his freshman year(a true freshman) was good, his sophomore obviously wasn't but then he took a huge step post injury. 

Fields, had probably the one of the best O line in the country last year. He made some really nice throws in the Alabama game, plus he is also a very good runner. I never saw Wilson play so i can't compare which one is better. That is Douglas job.

Fields for me still just checks more boxes. Wilson I think just has that Mahomes factor that is intriguing people. Good arm strength and makes throws from weird angles. Which lets keep in mind is poor mechanics. He also when watching tape has a lot of throws in tight spaces that look good on a stat sheet and look good to a regular fan like he’s incredibly accurate in tight windows. But the way I see it when I watch tape, is that at the NFL level these throws are INTs. Heck even at a higher level of NCAA competition these are INTs. He doesn’t just radiate franchise QB to me. I think he’s a risk. And we quite frankly aren’t in position for a risk. Fields you know what you’re getting with him. And he checks a ton of boxes.

Not buying the idea that anyone but Lawrence is going #1. Lawrence’s upside is just as high as the other two guys and his floor is much higher since we’ve seen him beat the blitz which is usually what causes these QBs to bust.

I do think Fields has a slightly higher upside because he can threaten defenses with his legs. Lawrence and Wilson are athletic but not Fields athletic. He ran a 4.5 coming out of HS. So I’m expecting 4.45 or so at his pro day.

Fields is my guy in this draft. He checks a lot of boxes. Teams can’t just always spy on him either because he has a great deep ball. He fits our system and gives us the flexibility to run RPOs. He just seems like the most dynamic QB in this draft.

Build a wall for him and hopefully give him a #1 WR plus a strong running game and let’s move this thing forward.

I guess I'm fine with Fields or Wilson. i just don't think either guy is ready to start by week1. I think we trade Sam to Wash and get a 2nd and 4th round pick this year for him. Then the Jets will sign Alex Smith to start the season and by week 8 or so you put the rookie in. I really don't want to send 4 first round picks which one is pick 2 for Watson. We will be in the same situation as the Texans. Then you add the fact that Watson will cost 41 mill against the cap next year is crazy. 

15 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Fields for me still just checks more boxes. Wilson I think just has that Mahomes factor that is intriguing people. Good arm strength and makes throws from weird angles. Which lets keep in mind is poor mechanics. He also when watching tape has a lot of throws in tight spaces that look good on a stat sheet and look good to a regular fan like he’s incredibly accurate in tight windows. But the way I see it when I watch tape, is that at the NFL level these throws are INTs. Heck even at a higher level of NCAA competition these are INTs. He doesn’t just radiate franchise QB to me. I think he’s a risk. And we quite frankly aren’t in position for a risk. Fields you know what you’re getting with him. And he checks a ton of boxes.

I have to agree, Fields , seems to be the safe pick. if we go QB with the second overall pick. Even with five picks in the first 100 players, the key to this draft is what Douglas does with the the second overall pick in the draft. How he does in the FA market will affect what he does in the draft. Sure we have plenty of money to spend on FA's. but will they be willing to come to the Jets with out current roster, I am not so sure.