2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

And I get that stand. Same as if we trade Sam and draft a guy... I won’t be upset at all. But it does appear most think if we roll with Sam we’re screwed. Where I don’t see it that way. I’m good with either direction to be honest. I do tend to lean more toward keeping Sam. Bc that allows us to fix more areas than if we trade him and go go QB at 2. And those areas need to be fixed regardless who’s at QB. So it allows Sam just a shot to work with better talent and staff before quoting on him. Rather than giving a rookie QB less to work with.

There is one possibility that we may not have thought of. If we keep Sam and he progresses a little or at least enough to say “maybe next year he will take the leap”, we could sign him to a 1 year deal for less than that of a good QB. In other words a prove it deal for 2022.

I still think the best and most probable course of action is to draft a QB at 2 and build around them.

55 minutes ago, xrade said:

There is one possibility that we may not have thought of. If we keep Sam and he progresses a little or at least enough to say “maybe next year he will take the leap”, we could sign him to a 1 year deal for less than that of a good QB. In other words a prove it deal for 2022.

I still think the best and most probable course of action is to draft a QB at 2 and build around them.

I think if we keep him we have to decide his 5th year option before the league year starts. And IMO... if we give him things to work with we should pick it up. We fail to give him much... then don’t pick it up.

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think if we keep him we have to decide his 5th year option before the league year starts. And IMO... if we give him things to work with we should pick it up. We fail to give him much... then don’t pick it up.

I don’t see the Jets picking up his 5th year option. If they keep him and he is showing progress, they may offer a reasonable extension. Or they can let him hit FA and resign him on a prove it deal.  If he progresses but not to the QB money level, I don’t really see him getting anything big by another team next year. It is all a gamble. I also can’t help but think JD would trade him if a decent offer came about, say, a SRP.

This offseason will tell us a bit about JD. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pf9 said:

I think the Jets should take Fields, and I'm saying this as an OSU fan. It is always good to see former Buckeyes excel in the NFL.

When was the last time a QB from OSU excel in the NFL, all the QB that came out of OSU for the last 60 years have never been no more than BACKUPS. Dwayne Haskins is no more than a mediocre QB. With that said Justen Fields, by far has a chance of being the first QB from OSU to excel in the NFL. 

Edited by doumeyer

4 hours ago, doumeyer said:

When was the last time a QB from OSU excel in the NFL, all the QB that came out of OSU for the last 60 years have never been no more than BACKUPS. Dwayne Haskins is no more than a mediocre QB. With that said Justen Fields, by far has a chance of being the first QB from OSU to excel in the NFL. 

Joe Burrow was at Ohio St and he is doing pretty good. You just can't say this guy will not be good because he went to this school. So with your idea Zach Wilson should be great because Steve Young went to BYU. 

4 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Where a player went to school and past players there, has ZERO to do with how good that player will be in the NFL.

On 2/20/2021 at 10:50 AM, Rockice_8 said:

People are seriously underrating Fields and Wilson.  These two are some of the best prospects to come out recently.  They are both better then any of the QBs in the Mayfield Darnold draft that was so talked about.  Only guy that was on their level was Burrow from last year and even then it wouldn't shock me if Wilson or Fields went over him.  

If not for Lawrence being a Luck type prospect these guys wouldn't be so overshadowed.

These guys check every box you want in a prospect.  We should be thrilled that we have the choice between these two.

As for fit they both got like a glove in our offense but given their talent if you can't fit either of these guys in your offense you shouldn't be coaching.

I am just not comfortable that these guys are as good as you think they are given that there was nothing normal about 2020, and there will be nothing normal about the 2021 training camp/preseason either.

Lawrence we know. We've known since his freshman year. These other guys? We have no idea.

On 2/20/2021 at 12:18 PM, doumeyer said:

You  are correct, when we got Darnold, everybody including the press & tv & radio and most Jets fans said that was a great pick. Not knowing how it all pan out if we put the clock back three year we would make the same pick. I don't know anybody who question the Darnold pick. The funny thing is even today I have not heard one media guy say Darnold is a BUST.

I hated the pick from the get-go. I wanted the Jets to draft Quenton Nelson at that spot, and then try to move up to get Lamar Jackson. Or trade up for Saquon or Mayfield. I hated the fact Darnold was being viewed as the "prototype", which almost never works in the NFL. The cookie-cutter quarterbacks usually fail or become the most mediocre of signal callers.

3 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I am just not comfortable that these guys are as good as you think they are given that there was nothing normal about 2020, and there will be nothing normal about the 2021 training camp/preseason either.

Lawrence we know. We've known since his freshman year. These other guys? We have no idea.

I hated the pick from the get-go. I wanted the Jets to draft Quenton Nelson at that spot, and then try to move up to get Lamar Jackson. Or trade up for Saquon or Mayfield. I hated the fact Darnold was being viewed as the "prototype", which almost never works in the NFL. The cookie-cutter quarterbacks usually fail or become the most mediocre of signal callers.

Fields has 24 games of great film. Where he more or less has looked great for all of it. A career stat line of 67 TDs to 9 INTs. While also rushing for 1,100yds and 19 TDs. He's pretty much from a college career and how safe you should feel about drafting him just a tiny tier below TLaw in that regard. 

18 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Where a player went to school and past players there, has ZERO to do with how good that player will be in the NFL.

When talking about QB’s it may be different. Why have no Alabama, OSU, or USC QB done well in the NFL in quite some time?  Could it be that the team is so much more talented than the competition around them? The OL, WR, and RB units consistently put players in the NFL year after year in the high rounds. Maybe the failure of the QB’s in the NFL from those schools is because the QB’s flaws are so masked that they appear good until they go to a poor NFL team and are exposed. I am just trying to connect the dots on why QB’s from those schools have not succeeded. I would love to hear other opinions. 

19 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Fields has 24 games of great film. Where he more or less has looked great for all of it. A career stat line of 67 TDs to 9 INTs. While also rushing for 1,100yds and 19 TDs. He's pretty much from a college career and how safe you should feel about drafting him just a tiny tier below TLaw in that regard. 

PT( was talking about past OSU  passed QB and there was not one OSU QB's who was a good NFL QB. I told him Fields had a chance to be a good NFL QB. And Joe Burrow was a back up for J Barrett & Dwayne Haskins all the time he was a OSU, and left for LSU.

2 hours ago, xrade said:

When talking about QB’s it may be different. Why have no Alabama, OSU, or USC QB done well in the NFL in quite some time?  Could it be that the team is so much more talented than the competition around them? The OL, WR, and RB units consistently put players in the NFL year after year in the high rounds. Maybe the failure of the QB’s in the NFL from those schools is because the QB’s flaws are so masked that they appear good until they go to a poor NFL team and are exposed. I am just trying to connect the dots on why QB’s from those schools have not succeeded. I would love to hear other opinions. 

Who from those schools was supposed to be these great NFL QBs though?

Just Tua from Bama. No other QB they've had was supposed to be great in the NFL.

Same for OSU. They've had good QBs. But none that were supposed to be these great prospects in the NFL at QB.

USC is the only school that this example has anything behind. I still stand by that we ruined Sanchez. We got rid of everything around him and that's when his career went down. Palmer (with all things considered) had a decent NFL career. Leinart most of us knew was going to struggle in the NFL (bc of a weak arm). Darnold is still 23 and too young to decide anything on.

So I stand by my statement. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Who from those schools was supposed to be these great NFL QBs though?

Just Tua from Bama. No other QB they've had was supposed to be great in the NFL.

Same for OSU. They've had good QBs. But none that were supposed to be these great prospects in the NFL at QB.

USC is the only school that this example has anything behind. I still stand by that we ruined Sanchez. We got rid of everything around him and that's when his career went down. Palmer (with all things considered) had a decent NFL career. Leinart most of us knew was going to struggle in the NFL (bc of a weak arm). Darnold is still 23 and too young to decide anything on.

So I stand by my statement. 

The point I am making is that very few QB’s from those schools were expected to be great even though they had great stats and awards and looked like great QB’s. I am suggesting the system they were in and the talent they were surrounded by made them look better than they really were. NFL evaluators see through that, maybe.  You could extend this to any perennially successful program.  It almost makes it more difficult to evaluate a QB from schools like that because it is difficult to look past the success and see how they react to playing with less than stellar OL and weapons.  

In the case of Fields, he may very well be a rare exception but you can’t dismiss that he looked better than he may really be because if that talent around him and the system in played in.