2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

1 hour ago, xrade said:

The point I am making is that very few QB’s from those schools were expected to be great even though they had great stats and awards and looked like great QB’s. I am suggesting the system they were in and the talent they were surrounded by made them look better than they really were. NFL evaluators see through that, maybe.  You could extend this to any perennially successful program.  It almost makes it more difficult to evaluate a QB from schools like that because it is difficult to look past the success and see how they react to playing with less than stellar OL and weapons.  

In the case of Fields, he may very well be a rare exception but you can’t dismiss that he looked better than he may really be because if that talent around him and the system in played in.  

But where that point falls short is that teams aren’t drafting QBs from these schools regularly high. Scouts do their homework.

Im a Texas Trch fan and alum and every QB since I can ever remember puts up Hodly stats there. But they never get drafted high. That’s what made Mahomes a risk Bc his stats were very inflated Bc of TTUs system. So scouts really had to dig deeper than stats on him. And 2 QBs were ranked by higher by a lot of teams.

By my point still stands that where a player went to school has 0 to do with if they’ll succeed in the NFL.

Really like the look of the Oklahoma defensive end Ronnie Perkins. Great speed, bend and relentless to the qb. Plays with that mean arrogant streak also which I like. 

Downside is he did fail a drug test or two and ended up getting a suspension so that’s something to consider but watching his tape he looks great as a 4-3 DE rushing the passer. 

20 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Really like the look of the Oklahoma defensive end Ronnie Perkins. Great speed, bend and relentless to the qb. Plays with that mean arrogant streak also which I like. 

Downside is he did fail a drug test or two and ended up getting a suspension so that’s something to consider but watching his tape he looks great as a 4-3 DE rushing the passer. 

One of the hardest things to do in the Big 12 is standout as a defender so you noticing him says a lot in itself. 

9 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

One of the hardest things to do in the Big 12 is standout as a defender so you noticing him says a lot in itself. 

To be fair I was just watching lots of tape of pass rushers and looking at guys for the 4-3 and he really stood out.

Would love Zuniga to turn into that young pass rusher we need so il be hoping he does more this TC and gets ready to go for the season. 

5 hours ago, mattmanz91 said:

While taking a QB at #2 seems like the obvious choice, I think a trade back and sticking with Darnold is a real possibility.

JD said part of the reason he took the job was because of Darnold. Money and opportunity were probably the main reasons. But he didn’t have to point out Darnold. The SF have been rumored to like Darnold and it wouldn’t surprise me if Saleh and LaFleur like him.

I’m reading this tweet for what it says. They’re analyzing all QBs and will go from there. If they feel Darnold plus picks is the better route, he’ll be the QB week 1.

Edited by SDotNova

1 hour ago, mattmanz91 said:

Pointed this out after watching his film a bit. A TON of that tight window stat are picks at a bigger school and for sure NFL. I mean these throws are where you just watch and say, how the heck did the defender not make a play on that. And that’s where his level of competition plays in. So I throw that stat out after watching film. Along with the 2nd and 3rd options. Do you know how bad 3rd CBs are on the teams he’s facing?

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Pointed this out after watching his film a bit. A TON of that tight window stat are picks at a bigger school and for sure NFL. I mean these throws are where you just watch and say, how the heck did the defender not make a play on that. And that’s where his level of competition plays in. So I throw that stat out after watching film. Along with the 2nd and 3rd options. Do you know how bad 3rd CBs are on the teams he’s facing?

But again, the players on his team are equally as bad or worse. In the NFL his WR could just as easily make a play on the ball same as the CB could, it happens all the time. Perfect example, how many throws did Fitz make that were "for sure picks" that Brandon Marshall out played the DB and made the catch. 

Regardless of how bad 3rd CB's are on the teams he's facing, you're completely missing the bigger picture of that stat, it means he's going through progressions, he's throwing the ball to his 2nd and third read often.

I get that you're not as high on him but man it seems like you're trying really hard to not like him. 

5 hours ago, mattmanz91 said:

But again, the players on his team are equally as bad or worse. In the NFL his WR could just as easily make a play on the ball same as the CB could, it happens all the time. Perfect example, how many throws did Fitz make that were "for sure picks" that Brandon Marshall out played the DB and made the catch. 

Regardless of how bad 3rd CB's are on the teams he's facing, you're completely missing the bigger picture of that stat, it means he's going through progressions, he's throwing the ball to his 2nd and third read often.

I get that you're not as high on him but man it seems like you're trying really hard to not like him. 

No I’m trying to be real. And to just throw aside his level of competition when looking at him is a HUGE flaw. Any stat can be twisted. As I said. This stat shows he is the best QBs in tight windows. Go watch his film (I’m sure you have). And look at A LOT of his throws. And look at it realistically. Not as a “big fan of his” (and I don’t mean that bad). And watch from a different point of view. Look at how many of the throws that you see that a half way decent defender makes a play on, that goes for a TD or big play. Pay attention to how much time he has to throw. How much he had a clean pocket Bc the defenses he played didn’t have anyone good getting after him. This is how you evaluate players.

So if the reports are true that we’re not deciding anything until we see these top rated QBs throw and all... nothing will be done with Sam until after March 26th and 31st. That’s Wilson and Fields pro days.

Why I HATE this is that FA begins March 15th (not official until 17th, but teams start agreeing on the 15th). So we don’t even have an angle at QB to tell FAs what our future is there. Not smart if you ask me. Especially when offense needs to be the focus. We might be a hard sell to Offensive players with no plan at QB to definitively tell them about.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

So if the reports are true that we’re not deciding anything until we see these top rated QBs throw and all... nothing will be done with Sam until after March 26th and 31st. That’s Wilson and Fields pro days.

Why I HATE this is that FA begins March 15th (not official until 17th, but teams start agreeing on the 15th). So we don’t even have an angle at QB to tell FAs what our future is there. Not smart if you ask me. Especially when offense needs to be the focus. We might be a hard sell to Offensive players with no plan at QB to definitively tell them about.

That is what I have being saying for a month. Players in FA will look at our current roster and just say no thanks Jets. You are so correct it is a HUGE problem for Douglas. And I have no idea how Douglas gets around this problem.