2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Why SS this year? I am open to an upgrade at every position but S and iDL seem pretty solid if we resign Maye. I could live with Maye and Davis for 2021. 

Maye has proven he is a not a SS.  We thought he could fill in for Adams but it wasn't until he moved back to FS that he flourished.

Davis looked pretty solid but also is probably better suited for the FS spot.  We need a guy who can come in and set the tone defensively.  Neal from ATL makes a lot of sense.  He won't break the bank and he is familiar with our new DC.

I think Davis still has a big role even if we sign a SS.  Not staying we need to use any significant resource or spend a lot on a SS especially if we sign Maye but I think Saleh is going to want a guy who can set the tone.  Neal could also fill the WILL/SS hybrid role.  With Saleh doing a lot of cover 3 and wanting more speed on the field he needs a guy who can cover and tackle to make he defense work.  Adding SS kind of fits that role is my guess.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Maye has proven he is a not a SS.  We thought he could fill in for Adams but it wasn't until he moved back to FS that he flourished.

Davis looked pretty solid but also is probably better suited for the FS spot.  We need a guy who can come in and set the tone defensively.  Neal from ATL makes a lot of sense.  He won't break the bank and he is familiar with our new DC.

I think Davis still has a big role even if we sign a SS.  Not staying we need to use any significant resource or spend a lot on a SS especially if we sign Maye but I think Saleh is going to want a guy who can set the tone.  Neal could also fill the WILL/SS hybrid role.  With Saleh doing a lot of cover 3 and wanting more speed on the field he needs a guy who can cover and tackle to make he defense work.  Adding SS kind of fits that role is my guess.

I think it would be a surprise if we did not sign either Neal or Tartt to play strong safety next season. I would be fine with either.

Having someone familiar with either the head coach or defensive coordinator makes a ton of sense. Too much sense.

2 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Maye has proven he is a not a SS

He only played one year at the position and IIRC, he had to help out a lot in zone coverage because our CB’s were so bad. I am not going to dispute what you said but I think he should be given another year or more in our new D. If you think he should be replaced, why resign him?  Just let him move on and find one in FA.

I do think something to note with JD is that I do believe he took this job in believing in Darnold. I don't think he took our job just to be a GM. He was one of the best up and coming guys in the game for a GM spot. So I do think he sees something in Darnold. And lets not forget he was here in 2019 when Sam wasn't bad.

I don't think this gives the edge to Sam to stick around. I just think its worth noting.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I do think something to note with JD is that I do believe he took this job in believing in Darnold. I don't think he took our job just to be a GM. He was one of the best up and coming guys in the game for a GM spot. So I do think he sees something in Darnold. And lets not forget he was here in 2019 when Sam wasn't bad.

I don't think this gives the edge to Sam to stick around. I just think its worth noting.

Fair enough. At least we can be comforted in knowing they did extensive research to figure out the direction to take for a QB. It will not be a decision made by one individual based on gut feel or external pressure. 

4 hours ago, xrade said:

He only played one year at the position and IIRC, he had to help out a lot in zone coverage because our CB’s were so bad. I am not going to dispute what you said but I think he should be given another year or more in our new D. If you think he should be replaced, why resign him?  Just let him move on and find one in FA.

Did I say Maye should be replaced?  Maye is a really good FS.  We should keep him.

Edited by Rockice_8

11 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

If we run more 2 high shells(Quarters) then your safeties have to be interchangeable. I think Maye and Davis can both play hybrid roles. The key is the Mike, Will and Nickel. If those 3 can cover ground in the middle of the field then it frees up the Safeties to play deep instead of in the box and allows the Corners to be aggressive knowing they have help over the top, inside and on the boundary.

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I trust Saleh knows where he’d like to line Maye up at. I expect us to tag him to buy us some more time to agree to a longer deal with him.

Agreed. The tag for S this year may be cheaper than what Maye may be asking for. If nothing else, we delay that issue until next year. 

13 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

If we run more 2 high shells(Quarters) then your safeties have to be interchangeable. I think Maye and Davis can both play hybrid roles. The key is the Mike, Will and Nickel. If those 3 can cover ground in the middle of the field then it frees up the Safeties to play deep instead of in the box and allows the Corners to be aggressive knowing they have help over the top, inside and on the boundary.

Exactly why I said David would have a big role.  In Saleh's D he plays 3 deep typically which drops one CB in deep zone and asks a LB to to play underneath zone.  I expect Davis/Maye to be the two deep safeties.  I could see a SS like Neal playing that shallow zone.  I expect Poole to be back as the slot CB and to bring in a SS to help play the WILL/SS role.

Jayon Brown would be another target for that position.  He's more a traditional LB for that position.

CB, Pass Rusher, and that WILL/SS are the biggest areas of need for the defense that is assuming we bring back Maye and Poole.

If we can add those 3 positions to our D we'll be in great shape next year.  

52 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Exactly why I said David would have a big role.  In Saleh's D he plays 3 deep typically which drops one CB in deep zone and asks a LB to to play underneath zone.  I expect Davis/Maye to be the two deep safeties.  I could see a SS like Neal playing that shallow zone.  I expect Poole to be back as the slot CB and to bring in a SS to help play the WILL/SS role.

Jayon Brown would be another target for that position.  He's more a traditional LB for that position.

CB, Pass Rusher, and that WILL/SS are the biggest areas of need for the defense that is assuming we bring back Maye and Poole.

If we can add those 3 positions to our D we'll be in great shape next year.  

Saleh transitioned to move 2 high shells tho, the 3 deep doesn't work well without an Earl Thomas like Free Safety who can play numbers to numbers. Maye nor Davis nor really anyone in the league can do that. 

The Bills have the best Tampa 2 inspired defense in the league(which was the Seattle Cover 3 scheme is based off of)

Quarters is the best coverage in the league IMO, I hope we run more of that than anything. 

I must sadly admit you guys are talking a little above me. If you think we need another S to play in Salehs defense, I will agree. I can’t help but wonder if Bless can be transitioned to just such a role. He is a good tackler, has some speed and size (he may need to add a few pounds). He also does best keeping the play in front of him. Could he play the SS role?  I am uncomfortable with him at the CB position. 

51 minutes ago, xrade said:

I must sadly admit you guys are talking a little above me. If you think we need another S to play in Salehs defense, I will agree. I can’t help but wonder if Bless can be transitioned to just such a role. He is a good tackler, has some speed and size (he may need to add a few pounds). He also does best keeping the play in front of him. Could he play the SS role?  I am uncomfortable with him at the CB position. 

In the traditional Seattle Cover 3 Sam Chancellor was vital in his role because of his ability to play in the box while also being very good in coverage. Earl on the backend covered enough ground well enough to free Sam up to do that. 

Keanu Neal played the Kam role in Atlanta when they were good. The thought is we are looking to run a similar style of coverage and we do not have someone to play that role. 

However 49ers fans have said that Saleh transitioned to more 2 high shells, mainly Quarters coverage(4 deep) with the Safeties split and Corners still playing the boundary but being aggressive underneath(see Buffalo)

Bless is a Corner, solid enough especially in Quarters but he's at his best being physical with the receiver so its a decent fit not great.

Maye and Davis could play split Safeties well, I think they both are hybrid guys, Davis has the speed to cover deep, Maye has the instincts so I think both should do well but I wouldn't be against bringing in someone to compete. 

The key overall is the front. We need the EDGE rushers and linebackers who can cover ground to put pressure on the QB.