2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

On 2/26/2021 at 6:46 AM, Bobby816 said:

I trust Saleh knows where he’d like to line Maye up at. I expect us to tag him to buy us some more time to agree to a longer deal with him.

Curious, because of Mayes age after a year under the tag, if we actually opt to move on from him or even move him this year if we are out of contention. Would be 29 looking for a big deal. If we were to sign him I wouldn't guarantee more than the first two years. 

55 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Curious, because of Mayes age after a year under the tag, if we actually opt to move on from him or even move him this year if we are out of contention. Would be 29 looking for a big deal. If we were to sign him I wouldn't guarantee more than the first two years. 

Safeties can play good into there young 30s

The thing is you’d imagine Marcus would maybe take slightly less over say a 4yr deal because like mentioned if we franchise tag him for around $10-11m then he’d hit FA at 29 which would stop a lot of teams giving him a bigger long deal. 

4 year $40m with theee years guaranteed seems fair to me. 

3 hours ago, xenajets said:

As long as we have an out after two years. I like Maye, but his age scares me. It may be true a S can play a bit longer, but I would prefer an out after 2 years. That should be right around the time we are talking playoffs and we may need some cap space to get that FA to put us over the hump. 

19 hours ago, xenajets said:

The thing is you’d imagine Marcus would maybe take slightly less over say a 4yr deal because like mentioned if we franchise tag him for around $10-11m then he’d hit FA at 29 which would stop a lot of teams giving him a bigger long deal. 

Completely agree. The franchise tag will help JD a ton in negotiations. 

I don’t like drafting in that 8 area is my issue though. In that 4-6 range I’m good Bc we virtually are “almost” guaranteed one of Smith, Chase or Sewell still. At 8 I think all 3 of those guys are gone. And no player after that I view as worth that trade back.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I don’t like drafting in that 8 area is my issue though. In that 4-6 range I’m good Bc we virtually are “almost” guaranteed one of Smith, Chase or Sewell still. At 8 I think all 3 of those guys are gone. And no player after that I view as worth that trade back.

Agreed, it would require a gigantic overpayment for us to not get a QB, and lose out on the WRs.  I really don't know who we could take at 8 unless Chase/Smith miraculously fall.  I love Pitts but TE should not be that high.

47 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I really don't know who we could take at 8 unless Chase/Smith miraculously fall

Smith may very well fall a bit. I would think some teams are worried about his “frame”. Don’t be shocked if he is the third or fourth WR taken. Foolish, I know, but some GM’s have a physical standard for a certain position group and Smith may not fall into that “standard”. 

19 hours ago, xrade said:

As long as we have an out after two years. I like Maye, but his age scares me. It may be true a S can play a bit longer, but I would prefer an out after 2 years. That should be right around the time we are talking playoffs and we may need some cap space to get that FA to put us over the hump. 

Oh dare to dream!

8 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Pitts or Waddle for me. 

I don't want a DB with our earliest pick, but I really like Paulson Adebo from Stanford if he's there in the 3rd. If we bring on Sherman for a year (at the right price), he would have an instant connection to start the mentorship. Anyone else high on Adebo?

36 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

I don't want a DB with our earliest pick, but I really like Paulson Adebo from Stanford if he's there in the 3rd. If we bring on Sherman for a year (at the right price), he would have an instant connection to start the mentorship. Anyone else high on Adebo?

What little I have heard of him is that he is OK that has the potential to be good. Getting him in round 3 and allowing him to sit and learn could be the way to go.  I am giving up hope that we will get a stud CB this offseason and that’s OK because I realize we are not fixing every hole this year. However, if one of the 3 first round prospects come close to 23, I would not hesitate to go get him. Highly doubtful that they reach that point given the demand for good CB’s to combat the high octane O’s.