2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

7 minutes ago, xrade said:

I am of the opinion that getting a RB before Rd.3 or 4 is not the best use of our draft picks next year.  A good OL is needed for any RB to succeed along with a coach that knows how to deploy him.  ATM, we have neither.  Let's fix some of the other holes before worrying about a Rd.1 or Rd.2 RB next year.  Once the OL, QB, WR, CB and EDGE is set, then look for that top prospect.  Kind of like how KC did it.

Normally I’m in on the edge draft pick high. And was even for it before we started the season. But this offense is so bad that we have to spend every valuable pick in offense to fix it.

After reading all the post the last few day it seems like 60% of the board members think the Jets will have a new QB in 2021. With the moves that Joe Douglas is doing sure leads us to think something big is going to happen. First he get rid of Bell, then the rumors that QW & Crower are on the trading block. At this point of time Jd. must be in love with Trevor Lawrence, I can't  imagine any other player he would want.

I actually don't think it's 100% about Lawrence at this point. I doubt JD goes to meet Darnold's parents, makes promises, and then makes a plan to dump him 5 games into the season. I believe he wants the #1 pick because of the deal he can get for it with a QB like Lawrence being available along with the possibility of replacing Darnold if he has to. There will be a tough decision to make if Darnold can prove he's not the problem. He's the same age as Burrow and only 2 years older than Lawrence. 

If we were to land a coach who has proven to help QBs believes he can help Darnold and we have the #1 pick, would we be mad if we passed Lawrence for the boat load of picks we would get? It's very possible, especially if Lawrence doesn't express interest in being drafted by us. 

Edited by rickyt31

If he was able to enter in this draft, George Pickens might be my favorite WR. His biggest problem is maturity. He does some really dumb things on the field. As far as on tape, I love everything about his game. 

Edited by rickyt31

2 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I actually don't think it's 100% about Lawrence at this point. I doubt JD goes to meet Darnold's parents, makes promises, and then makes a plan to dump him 5 games into the season. I believe he wants the #1 pick because of the deal he can get for it with a QB like Lawrence being available along with the possibility of replacing Darnold if he has to. There will be a tough decision to make if Darnold can prove he's not the problem. He's the same age as Burrow and only 2 years older than Lawrence. 

If we were to land a coach who has proven to help QBs believes he can help Darnold and we have the #1 pick, would we be mad if we passed Lawrence for the boat load of picks we would get? It's very possible, especially if Lawrence doesn't express interest in being drafted by us. 

Those promises were made before Darnold **** the bed. Even JD needs to realize Sam may be broken beyond repair. Start fresh. 

12 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

How about IOL Trey Hill?

Hill on the third would be awesome. Wyatt Davis or Humphrey in Rd. 2 even better. So much will depend on FA (Thuney, John Miller, Corey Linsley) and if we get to see Clarke play. 

An OL of Becton-FA-McGovern-Clarke/draft pick-Fant would be decent. If iOL can be addressed without having to spend a day 1 or two pick then we can address QB, WR, CB, EDGE/WR with our first four picks. The road to recovery would be on the way. 

26 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

How about IOL Trey Hill?

I've honestly watched so much Ben Cleveland, I haven't truly watched Hill enough but he is the leader of the oline. I do remember being impressed with his second level blocking. I just have to see how well he does against quicker tackles. He can move, I just have to see hands. 

14 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

If Lawrence is the real deal you take him.  You can't try and be the smartest guy in the room.  Don't over think it.  You take Lawrence 10 times out of 10.  Not only is he a far superior prospect to Sam but resetting the rookie cap is huge.  Gives JD time to build a team.

Sorry Sam but a great prospect is sitting there and we need him.  Trade Sam for a late 1 or 2 and move on.  Get a good coach and dump everything you got into the offense and give the kid a chance.  Worry about the D next year.  2021 should be about giving your QB everything he needs.

There is no scenario where we land the number 1 pick and trade it.  Can't be the team that passed on Lawrence.

• Like 3

To be obvious, we talk about T Law as we believe he will forgo his collegiate senior year for NFL. However, it is technically wrong thus a few people will think that is crazy for JD to think T Law without trade scenarios to be considered.  Hey, new head coach may believe in Darnold and will turn him around in no time. 

Also, do we forget that JD apparently loves to collect draft picks as many as he can. 3 out of 6 package are 1st round picks and JD accepts the deal before he blinks completely.

Edited by JetsandI

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

If Lawrence is the real deal you take him.  You can't try and be the smartest guy in the room.  Don't over think it.  You take Lawrence 10 times out of 10.  Not only is he a far superior prospect to Sam but resetting the rookie cap is huge.  Gives JD time to build a team.

Sorry Sam but a great prospect is sitting there and we need him.  Trade Sam for a late 1 or 2 and move on.  Get a good coach and dump everything you got into the offense and give the kid a chance.  Worry about the D next year.  2021 should be about giving your QB everything he needs.

There is no scenario where we land the number 1 pick and trade it.  Can't be the team that passed on Lawrence.

I disagree. Sam has made a ton of plays that show he is certainly capable of being a franchise guy. It's a MUCH better play to use the draft leverage of Lawrence to get a haul. With the quantity and quality of picks you get you can rebuild the entire team. Stock up on talent all over the field. Build a competitive team so you can actually determine your coaching and QBs worth.

I'm tired of this obscene overratting of Lawrence. Is he a great prospect, sure. But you all are acting like he is already a star, proven NFL qb. The dude is still just a draft prospect and can bust just like any other stud prospect.  If you draft a stud QB prospect onto a team with a trash offensive system and no weapons his chances of busting are extremely high. Lawrence is not above this. 

Let's also not overlook the fact that there are flavor of the year "Franchise" QBs in almost every draft. Hell theres hype that Trey Lance is a better pro prospect than Lawrence in his own draft class.

The best way to build this team moving forward is to identify a head coach, let him come in and work the GM trade Lawrence for all the picks. Infuse team with talent. Sign a vet QB to compete with Darnold in the offseason. Worst case scenario Darnold bombs and you can select your QB of the future next draft, and that guy can sit behind a vet for a year while the coach/gm use all the picks from the haul to finish rebuilding the team. At that point the qbotf will be coming in after a year of learning on the bench and playing for a team loaded with talent. That's how you actually rebuild a team. Not some foolish savior qb style that has been proven to fail all over the place.

2 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

To be obvious, we talk about T Law as we believe he will forgo his collegiate senior year for NFL. However, it is technically wrong thus a few people will think that is crazy for JD to think T Law without trade scenarios to be considered.  Hey, new head coach may believe in Darnold and will turn him around in no time. 

Also, do we forget that JD apparently loves to collect draft picks as many as he can. 3 out of 6 package are 1st round picks and JD accepts the deal before he blinks completely.

Exactly what I'm thinking.  It sounds crazy but it's very possible IF Sam shows enough.  If we look bad enough, Law will probably tell us no because of our reputation with young QBs. JD is preparing for all scenarios.  

Let me propose two scenarios that this board seems to split on.  Vote for your favorite.  I also have no doubt I may get bashed for one or the other OR both which is cool.  As Jet fans we are all passionate about our team which is why I love this board.

Option 1:

QB - Lawrence, Morgan, Fitz/Flacco  WR - Juju/Robinson, Crowder, Mims, Olave, Berrios, Cager/Smith/Doctson  TE - Wesco, Gerald Everett, Griffin/Herndon  OL -  Becton, Fant, McGovern, Thuney/Miller/Lindsley, Clarke, Edoga, Hill  RB - Perine, Gurley, Gainewell

DL - Q, Fats, JFM, Phillips, Shep, EDGE - Zuniga, Dupree, Huff/Basham  ILB - Mosley, Cashman, Hewitt,  Slot CB - Poole, Guidry  CB - Lattimore, Hall, Jackson, Austin, Wade/Mukuamu/Adebo S - Davis, McDougald, Markus Williams

ST - Same

Draft: 1. Lawrence, Olave 2. Wade/Mukuamu/Adebo 3. Gainwell, Hill

FA/Trade - Fitz/Flacco, Everett, Thuney/Miller/Lindsley, Lattimore, Williams, Gurley, Dupree

Option 2:

QB - Lawrence, Morgan, Fitz/Flacco  WR - Juju/Robinson, Crowder, Mims, Olave, Berrios, Terry, Cager/Smith/Doctson  TE - Wesco, Gerald Everett, Griffin/Herndon  OL -  Becton, Fant, McGovern, Thuney/Miller/Lindsley, Clarke, Edoga,   RB - Perine, Hubbard, Gainwell

DL - Q, Fats, JFM, Phillips, Shep, EDGE - Zuniga, Dupree, Huff/Basham  ILB - Mosley, Cashman, Hewitt,  Slot CB - Poole, Guidry  CB - Lattimore, Hall, Jackson, Austin,  S - Davis, McDougald, Markus Williams

ST - Same

Draft: 1. Lawrence, Olave 2. Hubbard 3. Gainwell, Tammorion Terry (or other 3rd.Rd WR prospect)

FA/Trade - Fitz/Flacco, Everett, Thuney/Miller/Lindsley, Lattimore, Williams, Gurley, Dupree

Option 1:  the balanced approach is where we spent our 2 1st, 1 3rd on "weapons", added an iOL prospect  in 3rd, and good CB prospect in 2nd.  We have upgraded iOL, EDGE, CB (on both sides), TE, and S via FA/Trade

Option 2:  the All O approach will have 5 "weapons" with out first 5 picks.  We have upgraded iOL, EDGE CB (on one side at least), TE, and S via FA/Trade

As for the players I chose, take them with a grain of salt, think position instead of names.  I happen to like theses players but I will defer to others on this board much more knowledgeable about CFB prospects than I.

I am a fan of option 1.  but the difference may not be as great as some of us will think.  I like option 1 because we have greatly upgrade CB, we have three good WR when we run 11 personnel.  Our RB has a workhorse, pass catching RB, and a good at all-master of none RB. OL is improved with only one question mark in Clarke, but a potential fill-in in Hill.  I also think our FA class is doable but expensive.