2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

21 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

JD quite frankly had left just way too many holes on this roster going into the draft.

2 OGs, RB, TE, Edge, 2 CBs and maybe even QB.

Unless you think Lewis, GVR, Ty Johnson, Herndon, Zuniga, Austin, Hall can all be relied on as good starters.

LB.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

Good Morning Football reporting Caleb Farley undergoing back surgery and will miss his pro day. Could he drop enough for us to maybe move up a bit to get him?  Back injuries scare teams off. Would it be worth the risk?

Damn.  That opens top spot for Horn.

3-6 months recovery for sports.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

JD quite frankly had left just way too many holes on this roster going into the draft.

Unless you think Lewis, GVR, Ty Johnson, Herndon, Zuniga, Austin, Hall can all be relied on as good starters.

We have 6 top 107 picks(1 being used on QB)

Hall, Herndon are fine for now in their spots. 

Austin needs competition at RCB

Running Back isn't a huge need

Someone will step up at Guard

EDGE still needs some help.

We'll fill the holes, off-season is far from done.

This was never going to be a one year fix. Fill as many holes as you can without hamstringing the cap in future years like Dallas and the Giants. We have plenty of premium draft picks this year and next to really build this team right - through the draft.

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

LB.

I think Hall will be good, Ty Johnson I was impressed with out of all the RB's the Jets have. The guy has some geddy'up to his game. Herndon is a real question mark for me, either way, if he reverts to dropping passes he will be gone next year. For sure we need an OL, 2 CB, OLB, C, I'm not sure we need any more RB's or WR's at this point. 

But I do think going into the draft the Jets have to address OL, and CB. But I will remind you that Clark who didn't play a down last year and was drafted in the 4th round by JD and was injured for most of the year could be a viable OL to compete for a starting job.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I think your a little off on what we'd call a hole.  TE, RB, edge aren't really holes.

It's really 2 OGs and 2 CBs that I'd call holes.  QB is getting addressed at #2 so that won't be an issue.  Still early in the offseason though.  Let's see what we can fill in the draft and then hit the market again for what we couldn't in the draft.  Still good stop gaps on the market and there will be more cuts after the draft as teams fill in their rosters more.

We can't really evaluate the roster until late June.

There’s a difference between holes and simply not good enough. I think the list Bobby made was accurate (apart from the ‘maybe qb’) but like other have stated it’s not necessarily holes it’s more are the guys we have good enough. The answer quite frankly is no.

I’m banking on a really good draft class and improvement from last years class. Zuniga, Clark, Davis, Perine all need to have good years because if we still don’t know by year three if they are any good that’s not a bright sign. 

To xrade’s point about it not being a one year fix that’s certainly true. But let’s not forget JD will be in the job nearly two years so I want to see some improvement next year. I don’t think we have a roster that’s going to contend for a playoff place but we have to be around that .500 mark and going into next offseason with more answers than questions. 

Edited by xenajets

GM Joe has done a remarkable job in free agency, especially at the critical CB, WR, LB and Edge positions.  I was mildly surprised by the lack of a veteran QB but that market isn't strong this year.  4th in cap space with $30,501,108, we could see another free agent or two before Draft Day.  Strong Safety and RB are secondary concerns, leaving QB as the main focus.  Find a top 20 pivot at the NFL level and this team should make the playoffs in 2021.  On paper.  Still, that is astounding for a 2-win franchise.

Unfortunately, my optimism ends at QB.  As much as I admire Saleh and Douglas, the track record of QBs taken and "developed" by the Jets hasn't been stellar and two defensive geniuses likely won't change that.  We know far less about Wilson and Fields than we did about Darnold, and we all saw how that worked out.  Personally, I'd punt, taking Penei Sewell at #2 (before Miami can), hoping to get lucky with ugly duckling K.J. Costello in the sixth round, watching the waiver wires like a hawk, and being prepared to end up on the Darnold Express for another year.

Who knew it might take more than one season to recover from a 2-14 record?

Just now, Dr A W Niloc said:

GM Joe has done a remarkable job in free agency, especially at the critical CB, WR, LB and Edge positions.  I was mildly surprised by the lack of a veteran QB but that market isn't strong this year.  4th in cap space with $30,501,108, we could see another free agent or two before Draft Day.  Strong Safety and RB are secondary concerns, leaving QB as the main focus.  Find a top 20 pivot at the NFL level and this team should make the playoffs in 2021.  On paper.  Still, that is astounding for a 2-win franchise.

Unfortunately, my optimism ends at QB.  As much as I admire Saleh and Douglas, the track record of QBs taken and "developed" by the Jets hasn't been stellar and two defensive geniuses likely won't change that.  We know far less about Wilson and Fields than we did about Darnold, and we all saw how that worked out.  Personally, I'd punt, taking Penei Sewell at #2 (before Miami can), hoping to get lucky with ugly duckling K.J. Costello in the sixth round, watching the waiver wires like a hawk, and being prepared to end up on the Darnold Express for another year.

Please elaborate....

4 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

We haven't addressed CB... 

We have huge holes at CB, OL, RB and need improvement at LB, Edge, TE, WR, all offensive positions TBH

4 hours ago, xenajets said:

But let’s not forget JD will be in the job nearly two years so I want to see some improvement next year

It is true he has been on the job two years. Last years FA’s were not good. But you also have to take into account he is now running the show. No gase to compete with. He has a coaching staff that is aligned with him. He also does not have to worry about the cap as much next year as in what it will be. JD is large and in charge for the first time.