2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

I suppose it’s his first offseason with Saleh but in reality JD has had now two years to improve the roster. Personally I think we are still too far away. If last years draft class develops however we could then be in business but Iv not seen really anything from any rookies outside of Becton, Mims and Hall to build too much hope on. 

The next 12 months is critical to see the direction we are going in and most importantly the progression/improvement of this team. 

16 minutes ago, xenajets said:

I suppose it’s his first offseason with Saleh but in reality JD has had now two years to improve the roster. Personally I think we are still too far away. If last years draft class develops however we could then be in business but Iv not seen really anything from any rookies outside of Becton, Mims and Hall to build too much hope on. 

The next 12 months is critical to see the direction we are going in and most importantly the progression/improvement of this team. 

Douglas has had 1 full off-season

52 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Please elaborate....

Sure.  I agree that the improvements at WR, LB, and Edge are more direct and dramatic.  The CBs underperformed in 2020 largely because of the lack of a pass rush.  Getting DEs Carl Lawson and Jordan Jenkins, to say nothing of the two OLBs, should do wonders for the CBs.  So what has GM Joe done to improve the CB position directly?

Well, we haven't seen much of injury prone Justin Hardee but Trader Joe and Saleh seem to be high on him, notwithstanding his current low (5th) status on the depth chart.  The fact that no one has outbid the Jets for CB1 Brian Poole is encouraging.  Bryce Hall (under contract until 2024, same as Hardee now) is a high end CB3 so if Justin performs in the top 50 the Jets will have an above average CB corps, with Hardee sandwiched between Poole-Hall.

41 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Sure.  I agree that the improvements at WR, LB, and Edge are more direct and dramatic.  The CBs underperformed in 2020 largely because of the lack of a pass rush.  Getting DEs Carl Lawson and Jordan Jenkins, to say nothing of the two OLBs, should do wonders for the CBs.  So what has GM Joe done to improve the CB position directly?

Well, we haven't seen much of injury prone Justin Hardee but Trader Joe and Saleh seem to be high on him, notwithstanding his current low (5th) status on the depth chart.  The fact that no one has outbid the Jets for CB1 Brian Poole is encouraging.  Bryce Hall (under contract until 2024, same as Hardee now) is a high end CB3 so if Justin performs in the top 50 the Jets will have an above average CB corps, with Hardee sandwiched between Poole-Hall.

Justin Hardee is strictly a special teams player. A great one at that by all accounts. He in no way shape or form will or should be looked at as a key defensive piece. 

We are in need of a cornerback to handle one side of the field. I like Bryce a lot and think there’s some really great talent at CB this year. However....

You had said we had upgraded the cb position but in fact it’s got worse. We’ve lost our best one and gained a special teams player. We need to resign Poole or bring in Williams for the slot. I’d still love Sherman in here just to help with his play but also mentorship too. 

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Douglas has had 1 full off-season

True although like I said he’s been in the job two years. My original point is we must see improvement this year. Not just in the wins/loss column but the actual competitiveness in games.

We lost 10 games by 10 points or more and a whopping 6 by more than 20. 

2 minutes ago, xenajets said:

True although like I said he’s been in the job two years. My original point is we must see improvement this year. Not just in the wins/loss column but the actual competitiveness in games.

We lost 10 games by 10 points or more and a whopping 6 by more than 20. 

I mean we wont know how competitive we are until the fall, not really something we can figure out on paper. 

8 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

I think your a little off on what we'd call a hole.  TE, RB, edge aren't really holes.

It's really 2 OGs and 2 CBs that I'd call holes.  QB is getting addressed at #2 so that won't be an issue.  Still early in the offseason though.  Let's see what we can fill in the draft and then hit the market again for what we couldn't in the draft.  Still good stop gaps on the market and there will be more cuts after the draft as teams fill in their rosters more.

We can't really evaluate the roster until late June.

I understand that point at edge at TE, but not RB.

Im sure JD believes in Huff and Zuniga. So I can see edge not a huge issue for him after adding Lawson.

TE. Maybe he knows just a system change is all Herndon needs. I’m skeptical about that though.

But none of our RBs should be getting 10 touches a game in what they’ve shown. RB not being addressed is criminal.

Almost.., almost as bad as not addressing OG in front of them.

8 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

We have 6 top 107 picks(1 being used on QB)

Hall, Herndon are fine for now in their spots. 

Austin needs competition at RCB

Running Back isn't a huge need

Someone will step up at Guard

EDGE still needs some help.

We'll fill the holes, off-season is far from done.

You have to be realistic though.

let’s look at last years early picks.

Becton player like 80% for us.

Mims played like 40% for us.

Davis played like 40% for us.

Zuniga like 10%

Perine like 30%

Clarke 0%

Morgan 0%

Hall 60%

To think you’re getting everyday starters right away is just false.