2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

2 hours ago, drew39k said:

1. Do yourself a favor and look at all the teams in the league. Tell me, how many of them have a QB picked at #1 overall as their franchise guy?

Now go look at a list of the top 10-15 qbs in the league....funny how many of them weren't #1 or Top 5 even. That's because it takes a good team to make a good QB.

#2. It's almost like you havent been watching the jets for the last 15 years or even the last 4... remember when we picked Darnold and people said we learned from the Sanchez mistake and where going to actually surround Darnold with talent.... then we didnt. With out track record under the johnson and johnson ownership group, what makes you think they are going to be able to nail the head coaching hire and he is going to be able to install an entirely new offense along with trying to prepare a rookie Qb prospect for the NFL game all in one shot without destroying him like we did with Sam? What makes you think that unlike every other successful team, we are going to be able to magically rebuild perfectly in an instant just because we draft a QB that is hyped up?

The current ownership group has shown time and time again they dont have a good feel for hiring head coaches. The team has shown time and time again they dont know how to develop young qbs. Your ideal plan is to ignore all that and just put all the eggs in the long shot savior QB basket, despite not just the Jets but almost every other instance of that in recent memory not working out. Kool beans.

These two approaches aren't mutually exclusive. You can take the next great QB prospect and still build a roster around them.  If you are picking number 1 you clearly are bad so it's not a great situation yet these QBs somehow manage.

Jets never had a Manning or a Luck fall into their laps and we finally do and now people think we are going to trade it.  I would bet any amount of money that JD doesn't trade it.  

The Johnson's don't imprint on the GM's decisions like you are suggesting.  They have a terrible hiring record but any roster construction falls to the GM.  Mac ruined Sam not ownership.

Again this discussion is about as relevant as trading for Mahomes.  It's never gonna happen.  We are talking ng Lawrence at 1 if we get it

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

It makes no sense to trade the pick. Keep Darnold for a year and hope he develops enough to pick up his 5th year option or start the process over with Lawrence?

I an afraid it is to late the Tsunamis ( the press ESPN & social medis ) are going sweep Darnold out of town, they want Lawerance. I am not saying you are wrong, I don't think we will have any control over this Lawerance, thing. This whole thing could end up being a huge circus 

19 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Thoughts on Terrence Marshall? I like him a lot 

One of my favorites, but it wouldn't surprise me if his 40time isn't great. I'm hoping he would be there towards the end of the round if we don't address the WR position before the draft. 

55 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Smith from Alabama is fun to watch. He catches the ball at the highest point, he comes back to the ball, and isn't a bad route runner. 

He’s a stud. Won’t make it to us with SEA 1st though. We’d have to trade up to get him. And that just doesn’t seem like JDs style.

18 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He’s a stud. Won’t make it to us with SEA 1st though. We’d have to trade up to get him. And that just doesn’t seem like JDs style.

I was thinking that, but I do like the idea of trading up with that pick. We could land someone like him, Etienne, Kyle Pitts, or a top OG without hurting ourselves. 

Can we please NOT take a QB?  We DO NOT have the pieces to make a young QB better.  We need more o-line help, (2) real WR,  a RB (may be Perine but who knows at this point).  To take a young QB would be a waste until we get good pieces around him.  I want to trade back for extra first round and second round picks.

IMO needs that should be addressed before QB are

WR

O-Line outside Becton

RB

And this has nothing to do with our many defensive needs.

DREAM SCENARIO

#1 draft pick, traded back to Jacksonville who wants Trevor Lawrence and we get #4, #25(from LAR) and second round #4 (trade works in trade chart)

Trade #25(720 points)  plus next years 1st round from Seattle (600 points) and 3rd round #30 (from Seattle)(124 points) to #8 (1400 points) (could be a few different teams)

#4 - Penei Sewell - OT

#8 - Patrick Surtain II - CB

#30 - Sage Surratt - WR or best WR available

#2.1 - Carlos Basham Jr - EDGE

#2.4 - Najee Harris - RB

#3.1 - Wyatt Davis - OG or best IOL available

This upgrades our RT and RG and make us one of the youngest and best o-lines in football ( think Dallas 3 years ago).  This also give us late first round WR help along with Mimms and Crowder should be much better than this year.  I like Najee Harris and behind this line I think he could be a 1000+ yard back.  

This gives us the best CB in the draft with a decent EDGE rusher upgrade.  With CJ Mosley returning, should get us out of the laughing stock defensive range.  

This is all without spending any of the estimated $80 million we are gonna have for free agent.

Now this  is where i'm gonna lose a bunch of you!

I want to sign James Winston (only 27 years old at start of next season).  I think he gets a bad wrap as a QB.  In 72 games played he has 121 passing Tds. 10 rushing Tds.  I know he throws ALOT of INTS(88) but I think coaching could help reduce those.  I think we could get him as a starter on the cheap for 2 years, maybe $14 plus incentives per year, and would be a upgrade over Darnold.  In 2000 and 2001 the Jets went 9-7 and 10-6 with Vinny Testaverde who also threw ALOT of INTS.  and I think we would all love a few 9-7 and 10-6 years.  Winston to me compares to Testaverde, and I would take him on the cheap now.  

I would also sign the best EDGE rusher available like Yannick Ngakoue or Shaquille Barrett, even if it means paying top of the market price.  

I would not spend anything else on big ticket players.  Defer cap space until your close to the play-offs, then spent to get over the hump.

I think one of the biggest reasons to draft T-Law and start this thing all over again is money. I still like Sam, I think he’s been ****ed over by this franchise just like Geno and Sanchez. Only Sam actually had the talent to be a proper franchise qb. 

If we trade Sam away for say a 2nd round pick or even a late 1st we will not commit serious money to him and instead use that money to build up the roster. Please don’t give me all that **** about building through the draft. It hasn’t worked. You need characters and leaders and you can get them in free agency. Players the young guys can look up to. Think our afccg teams; Bart, Jenkins, Faneca, Woody etc. 

The great thing about football is if done right you can legit go from zero to hero. It’s not like other sports who can poach the best players/coaches with money and prestige. 

By the way first one out the door (after Gase of course) would be CJ Mosley. Trade him away for a bag of peanuts. Don’t want his ‘leadership’ anywhere near the new players coming in. Do you think prime Ray Lewis would pull the **** this joker has?!?

I think if we are drafting 1. We 100% have to take TLaw. Can’t let a player like that go by. Trade Darnold for the best package (not including NE). And rebuild this thing. Now we’d have nearly 90-100mill in cap space. A ton of draft capital to fix this offense. Invest big time in FA on offense as well as the trade market (trade market will be huge this offseason bc of teams needing to get under the cap). And invest draft picks in the offense as well. 

You guys are crazy. T Law is by far the best QB to come out since Luck. He is a generational type QB. You pass on him you deserve to be a losing team for 5-10 years. NFL GM's have said he is on another level over Sam and Baker class. There is not 1 guy in the draft that is even close to his level. We have a chance to be like the Colts when they took Luck. Teams threw several first round picks at the Colts and they where very smart to say no because they knew what he could do. Those Colts teams where very good just by adding Luck. Trevor can turn this around quick with his leadership and not like Sam who is a laid back guy. You move on from Gase and the OC and DC. JD picks a great HC who can choose his OC and DC will change things around. I'm not buying the Oh you don't need that great of a QB. Mahomes, Allen, Big Ben, Carr, Jackson, Watson, Rivers, Rodgers, and even Baker have been really good. Then you can even look further back and add the Mannings to the list and even Brees who fell to the second round. You take the QB PERIOD! T Law better be the pick or else you are doomed for years. Trade Darnold and pick up more picks and use those high picks to add help for Law and push this over the hill. 

• Like 1