2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think if we are drafting 1. We 100% have to take TLaw. Can’t let a player like that go by. Trade Darnold for the best package (not including NE). And rebuild this thing. Now we’d have nearly 90-100mill in cap space. A ton of draft capital to fix this offense. Invest big time in FA on offense as well as the trade market (trade market will be huge this offseason bc of teams needing to get under the cap). And invest draft picks in the offense as well. 

100% correct YOU MUST TAKE T LAW!!!!!

15 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

One of my favorites, but it wouldn't surprise me if his 40time isn't great. I'm hoping he would be there towards the end of the round if we don't address the WR position before the draft. 

He honestly reminds me a bit of Brandon Marshall, needs to work on his routes a bit and is gonna be limited in the speed category but has everything else you look for.

I wonder how far we can move up if we offer our Seattle #1 pick and a 3rd. If we're going for TLaw, I'd love pair him with another top prospect like Ben Cleveland, Terrance Marshall, Etienne, Kyle Pitts, or even the new face of our defense if a top prospect is still there. We're going to gain a new pick for Darnold anyway.  

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

100% correct YOU MUST TAKE T LAW!!!!!

I was just going to post the same thing,  it is not even a matter of our needs, if we by pass TL in in the draft and he becomes the next super star QB we will never be able to live that down. It would become a public relations nightmare for the Jets.

4 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I wonder how far we can move up if we offer our Seattle #1 pick and a 3rd. If we're going for TLaw, I'd love pair him with another top prospect like Ben Cleveland, Terrance Marshall, Etienne, Kyle Pitts, or even the new face of our defense if a top prospect is still there. We're going to gain a new pick for Darnold anyway.  

I got to think real hard about giving up one first round and a high third round pick, as things stand now that third round pick would be a high third pick . And even our fourth round pick would be a high pick in the fourth. As things stand now we should come away with a least five maybe six starts on the 2021 team. Rick we still love you but stick to writing screen plays for Hallmark and lever the GM business to us.

8 hours ago, J_E_T_$ said:

Can we please NOT take a QB?  We DO NOT have the pieces to make a young QB better.  We need more o-line help, (2) real WR,  a RB (may be Perine but who knows at this point).  To take a young QB would be a waste until we get good pieces around him.  I want to trade back for extra first round and second round picks.

IMO needs that should be addressed before QB are

WR

O-Line outside Becton

RB

And this has nothing to do with our many defensive needs.

DREAM SCENARIO

#1 draft pick, traded back to Jacksonville who wants Trevor Lawrence and we get #4, #25(from LAR) and second round #4 (trade works in trade chart)

Trade #25(720 points)  plus next years 1st round from Seattle (600 points) and 3rd round #30 (from Seattle)(124 points) to #8 (1400 points) (could be a few different teams)

#4 - Penei Sewell - OT

#8 - Patrick Surtain II - CB

#30 - Sage Surratt - WR or best WR available

#2.1 - Carlos Basham Jr - EDGE

#2.4 - Najee Harris - RB

#3.1 - Wyatt Davis - OG or best IOL available

This upgrades our RT and RG and make us one of the youngest and best o-lines in football ( think Dallas 3 years ago).  This also give us late first round WR help along with Mimms and Crowder should be much better than this year.  I like Najee Harris and behind this line I think he could be a 1000+ yard back.  

This gives us the best CB in the draft with a decent EDGE rusher upgrade.  With CJ Mosley returning, should get us out of the laughing stock defensive range.  

This is all without spending any of the estimated $80 million we are gonna have for free agent.

Now this  is where i'm gonna lose a bunch of you!

I want to sign James Winston (only 27 years old at start of next season).  I think he gets a bad wrap as a QB.  In 72 games played he has 121 passing Tds. 10 rushing Tds.  I know he throws ALOT of INTS(88) but I think coaching could help reduce those.  I think we could get him as a starter on the cheap for 2 years, maybe $14 plus incentives per year, and would be a upgrade over Darnold.  In 2000 and 2001 the Jets went 9-7 and 10-6 with Vinny Testaverde who also threw ALOT of INTS.  and I think we would all love a few 9-7 and 10-6 years.  Winston to me compares to Testaverde, and I would take him on the cheap now.  

I would also sign the best EDGE rusher available like Yannick Ngakoue or Shaquille Barrett, even if it means paying top of the market price.  

I would not spend anything else on big ticket players.  Defer cap space until your close to the play-offs, then spent to get over the hump.

Are you nuts? Stop trying to be the smartest guy in the room. You take the best QB prospect of all time and don't look back. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Is he a legit prospect or just a physical freak? That would be the biggest player in NFL history.

I've seen some people grade him in the 2nd & 3rd round range. I haven't seen much recent footage on him, but they did run a draw play with him as the RB 5 yards away from the endzone. He scored. His old footage from years ago shows slow feet, but I want to see if he improve his footwork. It could be similar to when people tried to tell me Becton was a guard or they assumed he had slow feet because of his size. 

I'm interested pending on that and the new blocking scheme. I'm not really interested in finding a RT early in the draft because I think Fant is pretty good there, but I can't pass up a potential steal. Trevor Lawrence is 6'6, so oline height won't be much of an issue for him to see over. 

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

I got to think real hard about giving up one first round and a high third round pick, as things stand now that third round pick would be a high third pick . And even our fourth round pick would be a high pick in the fourth. As things stand now we should come away with a least five maybe six starts on the 2021 team. Rick we still love you but stick to writing screen plays for Hallmark and lever the GM business to us.

lmao that is funny. 

Pending on how the draft plays out, I don't think there is a wrong answer here if we pull a high pick for Darnold. We're still going to come away with the same amount of starters in the draft. We can definitely sit at our current picks, but we can also give Trevor another weapon or add to the long term protection on the oline that can come in day 1. If we trade Darnold for a 2nd, we would have 1,1,2,2, and 3. It still works. 

So when can we talk about how good all the rookie WRs look? Bc I swear several people on here were saying that they have the lowest success rate of early rounders. And the way I see it is that there’s several rookies looking great that we’re drafted in the 1st couple rounds 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

So when can we talk about how good all the rookie WRs look? Bc I swear several people on here were saying that they have the lowest success rate of early rounders. And the way I see it is that there’s several rookies looking great that we’re drafted in the 1st couple rounds 

We chose good OT over good WR 

16 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

We chose good OT over good WR 

Not saying that we should’ve drafted someone else (although I love Lamb). But my point was that several people on here were saying that choosing WRs early is this huge risk. And the way the season is going... every high draft pick nearly is having a great start to their careers.

Anyone heard any updates on Justyn Ross from Clemson and his neck injury. Is he rehabbing and hoping to enter the draft or was it a career ender?  He’d be a guy I’d take a chance on with a 3rd and pair him back up with Trevor if he checks out medically. Could be a steal.  He was right there with Jamaar Chase as the #1 WR coming out. 

3 minutes ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

Anyone heard any updates on Justyn Ross from Clemson and his neck injury. Is he rehabbing and hoping to enter the draft or was it a career ender?  He’d be a guy I’d take a chance on with a 3rd and pair him back up with Trevor if he checks out medically. Could be a steal.  He was right there with Jamaar Chase as the #1 WR coming out. 

A lot of people are expecting him to return to school next fall. I was just reading about him and Dabo said something about he's not expecting to be in pads until next fall.