2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

43 minutes ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

Anyone heard any updates on Justyn Ross from Clemson and his neck injury. Is he rehabbing and hoping to enter the draft or was it a career ender?  He’d be a guy I’d take a chance on with a 3rd and pair him back up with Trevor if he checks out medically. Could be a steal.  He was right there with Jamaar Chase as the #1 WR coming out. 

I’m hoping he declares and is a 2nd round steal

We're tanking for Lawrence, but he's going to say no to us because we've accepted being a joke, have a bad history with QBs and surrounding them with talent, made no effort to saving the season, and the owner is fine with all of this. The good news is that we're going to auction the pick and get a great return for the next 3 drafts. The new coach will bring life back into the franchise, develop players, and adapt to the new weapons he is given. 

5 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

We're tanking for Lawrence, but he's going to say no to us because we've accepted being a joke, have a bad history with QBs and surrounding them with talent, made no effort to saving the season, and the owner is fine with all of this. The good news is that we're going to auction the pick and get a great return for the next 3 drafts. The new coach will bring life back into the franchise, develop players, and adapt to the new weapons he is given. 

I disagree here. T Law is going pro no matter what. No player is risking going back to college to get hurt i.e Tua. He will no choose to sit out of football for the year either. The days of forcing trades during draft are gone because you have slotted money slots now and pick 1 is a lot more than pick 3 4 or 5. I think it comes down to T Law being a Jet or trading the pick. 

11 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I disagree here. T Law is going pro no matter what. No player is risking going back to college to get hurt i.e Tua. He will no choose to sit out of football for the year either. The days of forcing trades during draft are gone because you have slotted money slots now and pick 1 is a lot more than pick 3 4 or 5. I think it comes down to T Law being a Jet or trading the pick. 

We don't know this. He could be willing to sit out and force the Jets to trade out because he knows we aren't in position to draft #1 and not have our guy on the field. Especially if we end up trading Sam at any point leading to the draft. Him sitting out would hurt us way more than it would him and he knows that. The only thing I can see that could make him interested in a home run coaching hire. If not, I'm starting to believe we're going to end up trading out of the pick. 

I hope I'm wrong, but I can't see someone on his level wanting to come here and compete. 

Edited by rickyt31

1 hour ago, TheGDJets said:

Hypothetical, we get the #1 pick and Lawrence returns to Clemson. Then what? Thats gonna devalue the pick for a trade back for a team also looking for a QB.

Fields and Lance are still good QB prospects, that would be a really tough debate but if we decided to move down we could still get a sizable haul

13 hours ago, JetsandI said:

If T Law stays then Jets simply hire Greg Roman and draft Zach Wilson in 2nd round.  Heck, JD could continue juggling draft picks and take Kellen Mond in 5th for Roman.

Nah!  T Law will turn pro. End of discussion.

There has be ZERO indications that T Law will skip the draft this year. He loves to compete and will love the chance to change things around in New York. I'm sure people are talking to him and saying you could turn the Jets around and be a legend in New York. He is going pro 99,9% chance. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

We don’t trade Darnold before Trevor puts on the cap and is standing on that stage holding up a Jets jersey. 

Disagree bc you’re trading him for draft capital. And you want that return ASAP.

The thing would be how much JD likes Fields (I think TLaw is hands down the best QB but Fields is a legit #1 QB in most drafts). I view Lance on a while tier below that. So if JD values Fields than you trade Darnold the same as if TLaw were in the draft and draft Fields. But if we don’t value Fields (or Lance) then you trade the pick away to move back a couple spots and get even more draft capital and roll with Darnold and load up the offense with the draft picks (you have to take Sewell or Chase with that high 1st in a trade back though).

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Disagree bc you’re trading him for draft capital. And you want that return ASAP.

The thing would be how much JD likes Fields (I think TLaw is hands down the best QB but Fields is a legit #1 QB in most drafts). I view Lance on a while tier below that. So if JD values Fields than you trade Darnold the same as if TLaw were in the draft and draft Fields. But if we don’t value Fields (or Lance) then you trade the pick away to move back a couple spots and get even more draft capital and roll with Darnold and load up the offense with the draft picks (you have to take Sewell or Chase with that high 1st in a trade back though).

I dunno man.  It would awfully risky to trade your starting QB before you have your new QB signed on the dotted line.  To many things could go sideways and JD would be left looking like the biggest idiot if that happened.  Lets also not forget that we can use draft capital in 2022 as well.  We are not completely fixing this team in one year.  Couple that with the lack of CFB due to COVID.  Assuming all CFB conferences play in 2021, better evaluations can be made on CFB players for the 2022 draft.  I would be a little nervous selecting a QB that has not played in over a year AND has only one year of tape (Fields).  Collecting draft capital for 2022 is just as important as collecting draft capital for 2021 if not more so.