2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

1. We don’t. He’s never been given talent or good coaching.

2. This is a guess. We very easily could go edge and CB at 23 and 34. We getting guys in Round 3 or later that are great starters at OG? Even if we did go OG at those picks it’s no guarantee they’ll start.

3. Our RB room right now is awful. It needs help big time.

4. Our 1-5 WRs are better than they’ve been in years past. Yes I will say that. But it’s a lot of question marks. Davis I like. But he’s not a year in year out performer. He carries consistency issues. Mims is like as well. But didn’t do enough to slate him into that for sure starter for us. Crowder is our only proven WR. Cole is a good #4 but offers little to excite you. And Doctson has upside as the 5th guy probably. Then there’s a bunch of guys that shouldn’t even be on the roster in the Smiths. Berrios is fine. But I could take him or leave him.

My point being... Wilson if drafted is getting better coaching and a better WR group. After that it’s not much. So he’s getting out in a better situation immediately better than Darnold. Darnold was never given anything close to this. The staff and weapons are better than what he ever had in 3 years.

1. You didn't have the same excuse for the coach

2. Everything is a guess, even your proposal of how you want to build the team. We could fill every hole and then never be in position to grab a QB. Look at Carolina and Denver right now. Stuck in no mans land. 

3. A running back is only as good as the OL.

4. The WR is good enough as it stands for any QB to thrive especially under this scheme. Mims has to step up this year, its need and yes Davis will have to be more consistent. 

Darnold's lack of winning can be attributed to the level of talent around him, I can agree with that but that's not why we need to move on. He throws some of the worst interceptions you could possibly see and is very inconsistent even when the pocket is clean. He's just way too inconsistent and hasn't shown us enough to believe in him as the guy. I will always support him if he's here but I just dont see it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

He does the same thing in games. So he’s definitely not just a guy who’s good in shorts.

Against whom? With how many people in the stands? 

How is he going to react to Bill Belichick's defense in December in the snow?

Please, we know nothing at this point.

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

3. A running back is only as good as the OL.

Barry Sanders says what’s up. 😉 

Also Henry lost his 2 all Pro OTs last season and was still arguably the best RB in the league.

3/5 of our OL is good. It needs help. But you put a talented young RB behind even what we have now. And it changes the game for us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Also Henry lost his 2 all Pro OTs last season and was still arguably the best RB in the league.

3/5 of our OL is good. It needs help. But you put a talented young RB behind even what we have now. And it changes the game for us.

3/5 is being generous, imo Bobby. McGovern is serviceable at C, and Fant is a swing tackle (ideally).

We need a ton of help there, and I don't understand how a GM who stakes a reputation on building from the lines out is sitting on his hands and not improving the offensive line.

So far, he grades an epic fail in terms of improving arguably the biggest hole on the roster. 

1 minute ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Against whom? With how many people in the stands? 

How is he going to react to Bill Belichick's defense in December in the snow?

Please, we know nothing at this point.

A tight window throw is a tight window throw. Everyone is projecting players. If a GM knew exactly who these guys are going to be, then that team would always win the super bowl.

The job of a GM and scout is to project how these guys will play at the NFL. That’s all we can do.

12 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Pretty sums it up. Darnold and Wilson are similar types of players. It’s just that Zach Wilson does pretty much everything better than Darnold. And in the case of throwing the ball deep, Wilson is a lot better.

Im pumped about Wilson. We’re lucky to be in position to draft him.

Feel bad for Darnold. Macc did him dirty. I think he’ll prove to be good as long as he goes to a good situation. Hoping he goes to Denver.

The only question is what do we get in return. Denver 2nd sounds good to me.

Macc was definitely the main culprit but its just years and years of bad drafting that caught up to the team and even after all that we didn't have a single Elite group on the team, you could probably say interior DL but even they weren't dominate in terms of pass rush. But again Darnold's issue beyond what's around him as things people refuse to acknowledge. You aren't suddenly going to stop throwing interceptions because you have talent around you, sometimes its just in your nature to do so and that's okay if you're a guy like Favre. 

• Like 1

Just now, SDotNova said:

A tight window throw is a tight window throw. Everyone is projecting players. If a GM knew exactly who these guys are going to be, then that team would always win the super bowl.

The job of a GM and scout is to project how these guys will play at the NFL. That’s all we can do.

And the job of the new regime with the Jets is to stop making the same damn mistakes we have always made.

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Sanders quit

Henry is bigger than everyone trying to tackle him

We can draft a talented young Running Back

1 minute ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

3/5 is being generous, imo Bobby. McGovern is serviceable at C, and Fant is a swing tackle (ideally).

We need a ton of help there, and I don't understand how a GM who stakes a reputation on building from the lines out is sitting on his hands and not improving the offensive line.

So far, he grades an epic fail in terms of improving arguably the biggest hole on the roster. 

OLines work best together. That’s why I was a big fan of trying to get a OG that was highly talented and still had a few good years ahead of them and drafting a guy high. Therefor most our OL would be together for the next few years and really know what each other are doing without thinking twice about it. McGovern is still a good C. With awful OG play next to him he struggled. He’d be at a higher level with good OG play next to him. No different than that the DL should all be better now with talent across the board. Instead of just OLines having to worry about only Q. Fant is just fine at RT as long as the RG is decent. 2 OGs is a big need for us still. No question.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Sanders quit

Like Perine, McGuire, Cannon, Greene, McKnight, etc?

Bc that hasn’t gone well for us. As I’ll always say. This team has only been good when we’ve had great RBs and good WRs. It’s not a coincidence

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SDotNova said:

What mistake would that be?

Thinking a top-5 QB is going to become the franchise savior, without the roster to go with it.

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Sanders quit

In what round, pray tell, do you suggest we are going to draft a running back to run behind that incredible barrier in front of him?

If we don't have the talent up front, we need a far more talented running back. And vice-versa.

Everybody is talking about how San Fran does not draft running backs, and they go the running-back-by-committee route. OK, give me their offensive line and I will shut up about Travis Etienne!