2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Like Perine, McGuire, Cannon, Greene, McKnight, etc?

Bc that hasn’t gone well for us. As I’ll always say. This team has only been good when we’ve had great RBs and good WRs. It’s not a coincidence

None of them were coached by current coaching.

1 minute ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

And the job of the new regime with the Jets is to stop making the same damn mistakes we have always made.

They literally haven't done anything the old regimes have but lets play a fun game. 

Back in 2017 the Jets were OTC and decided to pass on a guy named Deshaun Watson because they had drafted a quarterback in the 2nd round named Christian Hackenberg, who they also did dirty by not giving him any reps his rookie season and then handing him the keys the very next year in an entirely new offense but I digress. 

Anyway keeping Sam would be repeating that same mistake should one of these young QBs prove to be a great player as Watson did. 

Or lets look at a team like Arizona who drafted Rosen at 10 but decided that Kyler Murray, who wasn't a cant miss QB prospect and had only 1 full season of experience in the Big 12 where defense isn't allowed, was the guy for them. They took him and then have added the pieces around him to be great and has proven them to be correct.

So ultimately it isn't always what you do today but what you do after that makes the choice you made today the right one. Take Wilson or Fields or whoever and then everyday after that do everything you can to make them better and hope they're doing the same. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

OLines work best together. That’s why I was a big fan of trying to get a OG that was highly talented and still had a few good years ahead of them and drafting a guy high. Therefor most our OL would be together for the next few years and really know what each other are doing without thinking twice about it. McGovern is still a good C. With awful OG play next to him he struggled. He’d be at a higher level with good OG play next to him. No different than that the DL should all be better now with talent across the board. Instead of just OLines having to worry about only Q. Fant is just fine at RT as long as the RG is decent. 2 OGs is a big need for us still. No question.

Trai Turner is still at large. Other than him, the pickings are very slim and most of the rest are older stopgap measures. I'd even take that at this point, though.

Just now, Jag68Sid87 said:

Trai Turner is still at large. Other than him, the pickings are very slim and most of the rest are older stopgap measures. I'd even take that at this point, though.

Ya I think if we wanted him he would already be a Jet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Like Perine, McGuire, Cannon, Greene, McKnight, etc?

Bc that hasn’t gone well for us. As I’ll always say. This team has only been good when we’ve had great RBs and good WRs. It’s not a coincidence

You mean great OL and defense. They can draft someone good or they might not. Like you are complaining about us not picking skill guys but then the skill guys you name that previous regimes picked are terrible in your eyes

I wish yall would stop acting like drafting a QB means we wont pick any other positions on offense. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

They literally haven't done anything the old regimes have but lets play a fun game. 

Back in 2017 the Jets were OTC and decided to pass on a guy named Deshaun Watson because they had drafted a quarterback in the 2nd round named Christian Hackenberg, who they also did dirty by not giving him any reps his rookie season and then handing him the keys the very next year in an entirely new offense but I digress. 

Anyway keeping Sam would be repeating that same mistake should one of these young QBs prove to be a great player as Watson did. 

Or lets look at a team like Arizona who drafted Rosen at 10 but decided that Kyler Murray, who wasn't a cant miss QB prospect and had only 1 full season of experience in the Big 12 where defense isn't allowed, was the guy for them. They took him and then have added the pieces around him to be great and has proven them to be correct.

So ultimately it isn't always what you do today but what you do after that makes the choice you made today the right one. Take Wilson or Fields or whoever and then everyday after that do everything you can to make them better and hope they're doing the same. 

Two things:

- I have never advocated for keeping Sam Darnold. I just don't think picking a QB at No. 2 is smart for THIS cursed, messed up and crappy (yet beloved with all of our hearts) franchise.

- We have already missed the boat in terms of trying to maximize the help ANY quarterback is going to need. We needed to spend more money on free agents, because we cannot assume we can land 4-6 starters in the draft. That's nuts.

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

You mean great OL and defense. They can draft someone good or they might not. Like you are complaining about us not picking skill guys but then the skill guys you name that previous regimes picked are terrible in your eyes

I wish yall would stop acting like drafting a QB means we wont pick any other positions on offense. 

Bang!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He was atrocious last year apparently. He graded out at 34.8 which is god awful. He’s also steadily declined over the last 3 years

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

And when we don’t draft them. It will then turn to... “not everything is fixed in 1 offseason”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Two things:

- I have never advocated for keeping Sam Darnold. I just don't think picking a QB at No. 2 is smart for THIS cursed, messed up and crappy (yet beloved with all of our hearts) franchise.

- We have already missed the boat in terms of trying to maximize the help ANY quarterback is going to need. We needed to spend more money on free agents, because we cannot assume we can land 4-6 starters in the draft. That's nuts.

That is nuts if you expect Jets to turn around in one off season. 

• Like 2

Just now, Jag68Sid87 said:

Two things:

We didn't need to spend more money, we only need a couple starters on offense and it is very possible that a few of them are on the roster already. 

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I would even take a chance on Jason Peters if he still wants to play...he could be a great mentor for the tackles while playing guard. 

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif is also another guy with an unknown future. The Chiefs seem to be moving on because they now have Thuney for LG, Long or Wylie at RG and Allegretti at C. I don't know if he wants to play anymore, but he could be worth a sixth rounder to find out?

1 minute ago, JetsandI said:

That is nuts if you expect Jets to turn around in one off season. 

Yeah, we have only been 10 years without a playoff appearance, and 51 without a Super Bowl. 

No biggie.

Was 9-7 too much to ask, with all of our money and draft capital? Was 8-8?

Hell, is being a very competitive team in every game too much to ask for?

A rookie Week 1 starting quarterback pushes everything back to 2022 even before training camp.