2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

3 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Tony Pauline is saying the Dolphins, Bills, and Steelers have Harris high on their list. I know from a bills stand point Singletary/Moss/Breida combo isn't close to what Harris can offer and I will say as a bills fan he will be one of their top targets. Its going to come down to Etienne/Harris/Horn/Rousseau/Samuel imo. If jets are liking the RBs they have the best chance at getting him with pick 23 and then going whatever other position you all need in the 2nd.

I don't know about Dolphins but Bills and Steelers likely won't take RB in 1st. 

I strongly believe Jets wont' take RB in 1st.   A lot of different positional prospects will be graded better than RB for JD.

42 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I went back and looked at what i though towards the end of last year (2 3rds). I guess I bought into hype that 3 teams were willing to offer a 2nd.

Probably the best scenario is like something like a 3rd and a conditional 2022 pick that says we get X if he is signed at the start of the league year.

A 3rd seems reasonable to me. If he is still a bust, than don’t sign him and that’s it. If he proves himself then another pick in the mid rounds won’t hurt.

I can't argue your point you are correct, what dives me crazy is that we will receive a third round pick for Sam, and he cost us the third overall pick in the 2018 draft plus three second round picks the math just doesn't add up. Do we have a CPA on this board who could check my numbers to see if I am correct ?

Edited by doumeyer

2 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

I can't argue your point you are correct, what dives me crazy is that we will receive a third round pick for Sam, and he cost us the third overall pick in the 2018 draft plus the second round picks the math just doesn't add up. Do we have a CPA on this board who could check my numbers to see if I am correct ?

Jets gained #3 and 3rder

Jets lost #6 and 3 2nders.

Even without Year factored in, it was a bad investment.

11 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

I can't argue your point you are correct, what dives me crazy is that we will receive a third round pick for Sam, and he cost us the third overall pick in the 2018 draft plus three second round picks the math just doesn't add up. Do we have a CPA on this board who could check my numbers to see if I am correct ?

Yup. And it can get even worse. He goes to Denver and becomes a good QB like some of us believe he can.

Remember when Spencer Long was snapping curve balls over Darnold’s head? Good times. We did him dirty.

Edited by SDotNova

1 minute ago, SDotNova said:

Yup. And it can get even worse. He goes to Denver and becomes a good QB like some of us believe he can.

Remember when Spencer Long was snapping curve balls over Darnold’s head? Good times. We did him dirty.

It wasn’t perfect but no one did him dirty. He’s absorbed zero blame for being a bad QB. I never blame him for us losing games but he has to own the responsibility of playing like complete crap for stretches.

3 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

It wasn’t perfect but no one did him dirty. He’s absorbed zero blame for being a bad QB. I never blame him for us losing games but he has to own the responsibility of playing like complete crap for stretches.

He gets some blame for sure. But the only young QB put in a worse situation was David Carr. You can’t develop in that environment. Getting chased on every throw. Every throw was due or die.

Im not saying don’t draft Wilson. Just that it’s a shame the lack of a supporting cast we provided him. 

Edited by SDotNova

5 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Jets gained #3 and 3rder

Jets lost #6 and 3 2nders.

Even without Year factored in, it was a bad investment.

Yes it was but I had no ideas things would work out so bad. I really though he would be another Eli Manning. same size same arm strength, and same demeanor but we did not get the same results.

1 minute ago, Rockice_8 said:

Probably true.  Maybe hold him until TC and see if an injury happens?

I'd just do the Den 3rd plus a 4 next year that could be a 3 if he resigns or plays 12 games or something like that.

Just pull the trigger on draft day though.  We could use a pick to improve the roster.  A 3rd could land a WR or RB who can contribute or maybe even a CB, OG or LB who can be plug and play possibly.

Yeah I was thinking the same. JD may just want to get what he can for this draft and avoid and QB controversy.

29 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

I don't know about Dolphins but Bills and Steelers likely won't take RB in 1st. 

I strongly believe Jets wont' take RB in 1st.   A lot of different positional prospects will be graded better than RB for JD.

Don't be surprised if the Bills do. The Gm said it was clear that the running game needed to be improved at the year end presser. They re-signed all of their oline so they weren't talking about the oline being the issue and the rb corps they currently have didnt get it done in 2020. They then went to Clemson and Bama Pro Day with GM Beane, HC and OC in attendance. The only notable players in the NFL draft for Clemson outside of Trevor Lawrence is a couple of WR in the late end of the draft and Etienne. In Bama they have a CB who wouldn't be there at pick 30, 2 WR which wont make it out of the top 15, an OT in Leatherwood, a LB Moses, and Harris. Bills were likely looking at the later 3. They also have said they met with Harris while there. All signs point to Bills as a potential landing spot for both RBs. Bills top 3 needs are RB, DE, and CB2.

As for the steelers I have to assume with no rb on the roster that can get it done they may look that way in order to make one last push for a playoff run with the inability to run in 2020 it may be top priority for them but that is a hunched based on the inability to run and connor a FA. 

14 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

He gets some blame for sure. But the only young QB put in a worse situation was David Carr. You can’t develop in that environment. Getting chased on every throw. Every throw was due or die.

Im not saying don’t draft Wilson. Just that it’s a shame the lack of a supporting cast we provided him. 

I don't believe that the only situation that was worse was Carr, I dont believe that at all. What Carr went through was terrible. 

Like you say getting chased but that's because he couldn't maneuver in the pocket or move the pocket with his footwork. He would always scramble instead of side stepping or climbing up. Every throw doesn't have to be do or die if you dont try to hit big. Steve Young said it best, maybe it was Kurt Warner, but "you cant go broke taking a profit"

But Darnold has a gunslinger mentality, I dont think that will ever change. You even see him being sacked and still trying to get passes off. That's not coaching, that's his nature and you can live with if the good outweighs the bad. 

You know who I think Darnold can carve out a career like? Fitzpatrick with more natural ability but less mental acumen. I think that's a perfect situation for the kid, sort of like a relief pitcher.

2 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Don't be surprised if the Bills do. The Gm said it was clear that the running game needed to be improved at the year end presser. They re-signed all of their oline so they weren't talking about the oline being the issue and the rb corps they currently have didnt get it done in 2020. They then went to Clemson and Bama Pro Day with GM Beane, HC and OC in attendance. The only notable players in the NFL draft for Clemson outside of Trevor Lawrence is a couple of WR in the late end of the draft and Etienne. In Bama they have a CB who wouldn't be there at pick 30, 2 WR which wont make it out of the top 15, an OT in Leatherwood, a LB Moses, and Harris. Bills were likely looking at the later 3. They also have said they met with Harris while there. All signs point to Bills as a potential landing spot for both RBs. Bills top 3 needs are RB, DE, and CB2.

As for the steelers I have to assume with no rb on the roster that can get it done they may look that way in order to make one last push for a playoff run with the inability to run in 2020 it may be top priority for them but that is a hunched based on the inability to run and connor a FA. 

True..  RB is basically a final piece to solid offense so they can draft one that high and be done with it.

Steelers' philosophy hasn't changed since 2008 regarding of offensive skill player in 1st. Enough is enough attitude kicks in? I dont' believe that.

9 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

True..  RB is basically a final piece to solid offense so they can draft one that high and be done with it.

Steelers' philosophy hasn't changed since 2008 regarding of offensive skill player in 1st. Enough is enough attitude kicks in? I dont' believe that.

yea no clue on the steelers offense. From an outsider looking in my assumption is they need to prevent Ben from throwing a ton, which we saw how quickly his arm died this past season. Being able to retain Juju to the 3 wr you have, along with Ebron going in to Ben's last season seems like an RB may help out. I know they lost a few key pieces on the oline to FA and retirement. . So you would think a rb who can consistently run it 20+ times a game would help lengthen his season especially when you have just add a 17th game to the year. We shall see, not going to be a bad draft for you guys if you do take Wilson and Etienne/Harris in the 1st rd, but then again I do not know much about how your oline is outside of becton to say RB would be the better pick at 23 over olineman.

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

Tony Pauline is saying the Dolphins, Bills, and Steelers have Harris high on their list. I know from a bills stand point Singletary/Moss/Breida combo isn't close to what Harris can offer and I will say as a bills fan he will be one of their top targets. Its going to come down to Etienne/Harris/Horn/Rousseau/Samuel imo. If jets are liking the RBs they have the best chance at getting him with pick 23 and then going whatever other position you all need in the 2nd.

I just don’t think our regime values RB enough to draft one of them at 23. I think if they can’t get 1 of the big 2 at 34... we wait till round 3 for Gainwell and that tier of RBs.

9 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Beginning of offseason he was 2nd-3rd round value

A month or so ago they were reporting teams said 1st round value

Now he's 3rd-4th round value

Reports will always fluctuate.

Or JD is to blame for not trading him at his highest level.