2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

I’m all for grinding out the best possible deal imaginable and maybe we were offered a decent deal around the time of the Goff/Wentz/Stafford traded. Maybe even before FA. However if JD and the coaching staff needed more time to fully evaluate the qbs then that’s fair enough. 

To make such a massive decision as this one you’d rather have all the information needed. If we end up with a 4th for Sam instead of a 2nd but we’ve hit on a franchise qb in Wilson then it really won’t matter. 

3 minutes ago, xenajets said:

I’m all for grinding out the best possible deal imaginable and maybe we were offered a decent deal around the time of the Goff/Wentz/Stafford traded. Maybe even before FA. However if JD and the coaching staff needed more time to fully evaluate the qbs then that’s fair enough. 

To make such a massive decision as this one you’d rather have all the information needed. If we end up with a 4th for Sam instead of a 2nd but we’ve hit on a franchise qb in Wilson then it really won’t matter. 

Likewise if we deal Sam for a 4 and Wilson busts, we just set our franchise back 4 years.

If you keep Sam and he blows you set the franchise back one year but are also bringing the new qb in to a significantly better situation.

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I don't believe that the only situation that was worse was Carr, I dont believe that at all. What Carr went through was terrible. 

Like you say getting chased but that's because he couldn't maneuver in the pocket or move the pocket with his footwork. He would always scramble instead of side stepping or climbing up. Every throw doesn't have to be do or die if you dont try to hit big. Steve Young said it best, maybe it was Kurt Warner, but "you cant go broke taking a profit"

But Darnold has a gunslinger mentality, I dont think that will ever change. You even see him being sacked and still trying to get passes off. That's not coaching, that's his nature and you can live with if the good outweighs the bad. 

You know who I think Darnold can carve out a career like? Fitzpatrick with more natural ability but less mental acumen. I think that's a perfect situation for the kid, sort of like a relief pitcher.

It’ll be interesting to see how he performs next year.

At least we agree that drafting Wilson is the right move.

Im simultaneously really upset how the last 3 years went and really excited to draft Wilson.

2 minutes ago, drew39k said:

Likewise if we deal Sam for a 4 and Wilson busts, we just set our franchise back 4 years.

If you keep Sam and he blows you set the franchise back one year but are also bringing the new qb in to a significantly better situation.

Yeah but the franchise suddenly isn’t saved because we would of got a 2nd instead of a 4th. 

I know your heavily against going qb at 2 but youve just got to accept facts. It’s more than a 95% chance we are taking Wilson. 

Honestly, how much different are the prospects at 40 vs 71 at the positions we’d likely draft (corner, RB, iOL). I’d be curious to know how many guys are getting 2nd round grades at those positions and how they compare to prior years. Seems like some of these 3rd round corners would be 2nd rounders in most drafts.

Edited by SDotNova

8 minutes ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

So Mike Tannenbaum includes Darnold as a possible replacement for Russel Wilson in his hypothetical trade last week and now another GM says Sam’s worth maybe just a fourth?  Crazy. 

GMs know Kimberly Martin will report this so it's easy to drive down the price.  JD will get fair/decent value if Darnold is moved.

Whatever happens I want an extra pick, I don't want to use Darnold to trade up unless we are trading up from 23 to somehow grab Slater/Pitts/Chase.  We need more bodies.  If it's say Darnold and a late round pick to squeeze out a top 3rd round or a 2nd round pick then that I like.

23 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Pretty sure it’s obvious Lawrence and Wilson are going 1 and 2

A lot of people are still trying to speak the Jets keeping Darnold into existence, they will then try and speak Wilson being a bust into existence because they wanted to draft two Guards and a Running Back before getting a Quarterback. 

• Like 1