2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Isn't that a waste though? Isn't Huff a speed guy for us already? Isn't Zuniga highly talented and just needs to stay healthy?

Does Clark stop anyone from wanting to draft a Guard? Hall doesn't stop guys from wanting a Corner. I think when the value is right it is hard to pass on EDGE rushers, it is still the most important position on defense.

Zuniga has to show he can kill the injury bug and Huff is a rotational guy with a great motor but not someone who should stop us from upgrading if the potential to is there. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The way I se it is that we might not even draft a DE. Lawson, Curry, Huff and Zuniga is a good group. JFM could even be thrown in that group as well. 

I have to agree. For the same reason WR is not a major need ATM, neither is DL. We need starters at other positions. Getting any DL is just overkill at a time we still have many holes. Fill the holes then worry about future replacement starters/depth. 

Just now, xrade said:

I have to agree. For the same reason WR is not a major need ATM, neither is DL. We need starters at other positions. Getting any DL is just overkill at a time we still have many holes. Fill the holes then worry about future replacement starters/depth. 

Still need to approach it with value in mind. Like we need a Corner but if the value isn't there I cant see them reaching to fill the hole. We really only have 2, maybe 3 true "holes" in OG, CB and maybe RB(but there's a committee approach anyway. 

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Does Clark stop anyone from wanting to draft a Guard? Hall doesn't stop guys from wanting a Corner. I think when the value is right it is hard to pass on EDGE rushers, it is still the most important position on defense.

Zuniga has to show he can kill the injury bug and Huff is a rotational guy with a great motor but not someone who should stop us from upgrading if the potential to is there. 

But that's what I'm saying. There's no star edge really this year and we know we wont be drafting one until at the earliest 23. Is that guy starting over Curry, Huff or Zuniga? IMO no way. He might not get very many snaps period. Let's say we rotate 4 guys. Those 4 guys (Lawson, Curry, Huff, Zuniga) are all getting snaps over a rookie. JD just used a valuable pick on Zuniga. When healthy... I'm sure he thinks he's a weapon for him.

I'm just saying... I wouldn't be surprised if we don't draft a DE. Its not the same as CB. Do we have a Lawson at CB and 2-3 other decent guys behind that at CB? No. OG we need actual starters. If a valuable pick is used they will start. But if we use a later pick... then we probably will have to still start Lewis and GVR.

Odds are Lawson and some combo or Curry/Huff/Zuniga is our starting DEs.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

But that's what I'm saying. There's no star edge really this year and we know we wont be drafting one until at the earliest 23. Is that guy starting over Curry, Huff or Zuniga? IMO no way. He might not get very many snaps period. Let's say we rotate 4 guys. Those 4 guys (Lawson, Curry, Huff, Zuniga) are all getting snaps over a rookie. JD just used a valuable pick on Zuniga. When healthy... I'm sure he thinks he's a weapon for him.

I'm just saying... I wouldn't be surprised if we don't draft a DE. Its not the same as CB. Do we have a Lawson at CB and 2-3 other decent guys behind that at CB? No. OG we need actual starters. If a valuable pick is used they will start. But if we use a later pick... then we probably will have to still start Lewis and GVR.

Odds are Lawson and some combo or Curry/Huff/Zuniga is our starting DEs.

The scheme we're using values different traits in Corners than we normally would have so we might go Corner later than most think. The way I see it I'm still unsure personally. 

Either way there's no guarantee the rookie OG or CB will start anyway, I think it all depends on who is there and who we get. 

We needed a WR bad last year and Douglas still traded back instead of taking one in the 2nd. If an EDGE is somewhere he likes or even any other position I can see him making a selection. 

I'm not against either decision, I truly believe Philips is going to be a stud.

The scheme we're using values different traits in Corners than we normally would have so we might go Corner later than most think. The way I see it I'm still unsure personally. 

Either way there's no guarantee the rookie OG or CB will start anyway, I think it all depends on who is there and who we get. 

We needed a WR bad last year and Douglas still traded back instead of taking one in the 2nd. If an EDGE is somewhere he likes or even any other position I can see him making a selection. 

I'm not against either decision, I truly believe Philips is going to be a stud.

He very well might. My point is mainly that he'd require the 23rd or 34th to get him. And he'd probably mainly be on the bench. That's not the best use of high picks if you're JD (especially given Lawson, Huff and Zuniga's age).

Where I will agree with you is that there are groups that we need help at that if we draft a guy in this area that they might start elsewhere. Quite frankly it depends on who the guy is. If Horn or AVT are there at CB and OG. They will start for us. But if its another OLineman or CB they might not. I do think if we went RB there, they would start for us right away pretty much. Or at least get 15 touches right away. I just think what it takes for a OG or CB drafted high to start over Lewis, GVR, Austin wont be hard. Where any edge in this class starting over Lawson, Curry, Huff, Zuniga I think it is difficult. 

Just now, Bobby816 said:

He very well might. My point is mainly that he'd require the 23rd or 34th to get him. And he'd probably mainly be on the bench. That's not the best use of high picks if you're JD (especially given Lawson, Huff and Zuniga's age).

Where I will agree with you is that there are groups that we need help at that if we draft a guy in this area that they might start elsewhere. Quite frankly it depends on who the guy is. If Horn or AVT are there at CB and OG. They will start for us. But if its another OLineman or CB they might not. I do think if we went RB there, they would start for us right away pretty much. Or at least get 15 touches right away. I just think what it takes for a OG or CB drafted high to start over Lewis, GVR, Austin wont be hard. Where any edge in this class starting over Lawson, Curry, Huff, Zuniga I think it is difficult. 

True most of the top CBs and OGs should be able to start over what we have in those spots. Having 23 and 34 makes that possible. Depending on what we deal Sam for could possibly net us a high to mid 2nd and then we wouldn't have an issue making a luxury pick while also still being able to fill the holes.

True most of the top CBs and OGs should be able to start over what we have in those spots. Having 23 and 34 makes that possible. Depending on what we deal Sam for could possibly net us a high to mid 2nd and then we wouldn't have an issue making a luxury pick while also still being able to fill the holes.

I think the best thing for us to do is package Sam and a mid round pick to get a 2nd. I put this in my mock. Where I had us giving up our 4th and Sam to get a good 2nd. I'd rather that than getting just a mid 3rd or something like that for him.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

I think the best thing for us to do is package Sam and a mid round pick to get a 2nd. I put this in my mock. Where I had us giving up our 4th and Sam to get a good 2nd. I'd rather that than getting just a mid 3rd or something like that for him.

I'm not against that at all, could even use 23 to move down to the end of the first and recoup a pick or picks. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Still need to approach it with value in mind. Like we need a Corner but if the value isn't there I cant see them reaching to fill the hole. We really only have 2, maybe 3 true "holes" in OG, CB and maybe RB(but there's a committee approach anyway. 

What you say is true, but in reality we need 2 CB (still don’t have a slot CB unless you are good with Guidry and I am not the biggest fan of Austin), we need 2 OG (of course I would wait until day 3 for the second one), RB and TE can use upgrades although not high in the draft IMO. The point is that we really need to fill about 5 holes before worrying about DL depth and future replacement.

As for value I certainly agree we can’t reach too much. But the reality is that there will be good CB’s and OG’s in round 2. There should still be good RB’s and a TE in round 3. We should not worry about DL until round 4 at the earliest and by that time, all the better DL prospects will be gone. Heck, if one is there, jump on him. Rounds 4-7 should be all about maximizing value just as rounds 1-3 should be about need and a little less about value for this year. After this year, its BPA. 

Edited by xrade

5 minutes ago, xrade said:

What you say is true, but in reality we need 2 CB (still don’t have a slot CB unless you are good with Guidry and I am not the biggest fan of Austin), we need 2 OG (of course I would wait until day 3 for the second one), RB and TE can use upgrades although not high in the draft IMO. The point is that we really need to fill about 5 holes before worrying about DL depth and future replacement.

As for value I certainly agree we can’t reach too much. But the reality is that there will be good CB’s and OG’s in round 2. There should still be good RB’s and a TE in round 3. We should not worry about DL until round 4 at the earliest and by that time, all the better DL prospects will be gone. Heck, if one is there, jump on him. Rounds 4-7 should be all about maximizing value just as rounds 1-3 should be about need and a little less about value for this year. After this year, its BPA. 

I think Poole comes back ultimately and Clark will be one of the two OG's for us. 

I'm really trying to like the Wilson pick. I hope this kid is the real deal. 

Now for Darnold I think JD is playing this perfect. Sam will get traded during the draft. I think Watson is in so much trouble that he will miss some games or maybe all season depending how ths goes. That means Sam could be heading to Texas. The Texans could give up picks in next years draft. I also think that Pitt, Seattle, Wash, Tampa, Denver, Panthers are a few more to keep an eye on. I think a second round pick was offered but JD will get his late first or a second and plus picks for him. I'm not buying the GM's around the league say this or that. They are doing this to try and drop the value. I think in the end he ends up as a Panther. I think Carolina misses out on  the QB's and makes the trdae with the Jets,

Jets trade Sam Daronld and pick 23 

to Carolina for pick 8, and 73 plus a 3rd round next year.