2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

2 minutes ago, xrade said:

The trade is arguable.  I felt like you in that I wanted to keep him for that very reason.  Something to be proud of.  The fact still remains he was doing everything he could to get off the Jets because of gase.  As GM, how do you handle that?  Personally, you handle it the way JD did and move on.

As GM, I would ACTUALLY talk with Adams.

Just now, xrade said:

That would certainly be the right way to go about it, but are we so sure JD didn't talk to him?  We have only heard one side of the argument.

Not talking with Adams may rile him up in no time. Dunno.

Adams had been talking too much since end of the last season.  He said that JD promised him new contract back in January.   Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, June, and finally in July, he was traded to Seahawks. In very same month, JD said he didn't promise him anything.    During about a half of year, JD didn't bother to clear up about contractual extension to media or Adams.  What is up with that?

1 minute ago, JetsandI said:

Not talking with Adams may rile him up in no time. Dunno.

Adams had been talking too much since end of the last season.  He said that JD promised him new contract back in January.   Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, June, and finally in July, he was traded to Seahawks. In very same month, JD said he didn't promise him anything.    During about a half of year, JD didn't bother to clear up about contractual extension to media or Adams.  What is up with that?

Fair enough.  However, I believe JD wanted to keep Adams in January.  Then the whole COVID thing hit and the NFL was unsure how that would affect the cap in 2021.  We found out at the end of July the cap would be reduced to $176M.  Could we have still kept Adams - sure.  Would it have been the wise move considering all the holes we have to fill - probably not.  I have no proof of any of this, of course, but it is not out of the realm of possibility.  Just like it is not out of the realm of possibility JD did not talk to him.

Rarely do GM's talk about players and their contracts to the media and they certainly do not say anything after they are traded lest they be fined for tampering.  Most GM's will read off their "NFL approved GM pocket cue card" and say what a great player he is and we are sorry we lost him.  That's it.

The truth is we do not have the whole picture on what happened and we never will.

2 minutes ago, xrade said:

Fair enough.  However, I believe JD wanted to keep Adams in January.  Then the whole COVID thing hit and the NFL was unsure how that would affect the cap in 2021.  We found out at the end of July the cap would be reduced to $176M.  Could we have still kept Adams - sure.  Would it have been the wise move considering all the holes we have to fill - probably not.  I have no proof of any of this, of course, but it is not out of the realm of possibility.  Just like it is not out of the realm of possibility JD did not talk to him.

Rarely do GM's talk about players and their contracts to the media and they certainly do not say anything after they are traded lest they be fined for tampering.  Most GM's will read off their "NFL approved GM pocket cue card" and say what a great player he is and we are sorry we lost him.  That's it.

The truth is we do not have the whole picture on what happened and we never will.

I tried to find the "promise" information that was actually mentioned in January.  I could not.  It remains he said, other said crap.

2 hours ago, xenajets said:

You’ve made some good points in your post...some I agree with and some I don’t however they are good topics for discussion. 

However if I had a penny for every time Iv read the same thing on this forum for the last ten years or so I’d be able to buy the franchise myself. It’s the same old ****e about ‘giving time’ and ‘doing the best with the situation we were in’. What a load of crap. People make out like these quality franchises have these secret methods of success. They don’t. They just do the simple things right and more often than not they work out. 

For me you don’t trade away your best player who’s an all pro at 24yrs old and a potential HOF. You don’t let your best offensive player leave in FA and sign an often injured replacement with no time for reps etc because of Covid. You don’t draft a backup qb when there was offensive players on the board who provide more chance to make a difference both short and long term. 

There’s plenty to point fingers at and I won’t just say **** it let it work out because these things are worrying signs. Just like could be said about Idsik and Mac before him.

And guess what...there was so many people on this forum (some aren’t here anymore shock!) who said the same thing you have just said now. I’m willing to give JD time and I ******* hope he can turn it around for us but if I don’t like things il say it and not bury my head in the sand hoping for the best. 

Nobody says JD has been flawless but your posts hypocritical.  If you were the GM and Adams was acting the way he did you would trade him too.  He was straight up lying to the media to force his way out.  That's not on JD to cater to a whiny baby and you should understand that if you put yourself in his shoes.  There was no one person here saying we needed to give him 20 per last offseason which is the only thing that would have shut him up.  Even then he probably would have gotten paid and then whined to get out.  

The Robby thing you have a point and I think JD regrets letting him walk but you are really overblowing the impact Robby had.  He's a good WR but even if he were here we are still 0 and 6 and a complete mess.  That is why it's not the end of the world we let him go.  

JD messed up on certain moves but your posts are so negative like this is some continuation of the Mac era which is just not true.  Let the guy execute his plan.  They don't happen in 1 year when the previous GM over pays for guys like Mosley/Bell and you HC is incompetent.  He has a vision for this team and you can see it in his moves let's see if he can build it.

Just now, JetsandI said:

I tried to find the "promise" information that was actually mentioned in January.  I could not.  It remains he said, other said crap.

Agreed.  It is probably not worth investing any of your time at this point.  It is done and can move on.

• Like 1

I get that JD has only had one year to work with this roster, but that doesn't mean we don't get to critique what's happened in that one year. JD has to give us a reason to believe hes giving the coaches the right players to win football games. 

He hasn't done that. Period. The roster speaks for itself. JD doesnt get the benefit of the doubt....you prove your worth. 

The hold on JUST WAIT THE GM HAS A PLAN thing has got to stop. We had that with little Mac and Idzik and that got us nowhere.

JD's sample size is small. But as others have said... there's still plenty to criticize him about. Mainly at WR, RB and Edge.

WR: Let Robby walk when we had money. And actually thought that Perriman was a legit replacement. As well as only drafting 1 WR in a stacked WR draft. And at this stage we don't even know how good that 1 WR even is.

RB: Bringing in Gore. Made no sense and still doesn't. I don't want to hear this is a Gase thing. Gase isn't the GM. JD is, he has the final decision in this. There's no reason at all a 37yr old RB should've been brought in on this team.

Edge: We did nothing at Edge really. We brought back Jenkins cheap, who has done relatively nothing this season. Drafted Zuniga who hasn't even seen the field yet, so we can't judge him. But there was plenty of opportunity to grab an edge via trade and even FA. And he did nothing.

Now I do have confidence that he values Edge and it will be addressed in the offseason. So we will see. At WR and RB, I still stand by that he doesn't value skill positions "too much"

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

JD's sample size is small. But as others have said... there's still plenty to criticize him about. Mainly at WR, RB and Edge.

WR: Let Robby walk when we had money. And actually thought that Perriman was a legit replacement. As well as only drafting 1 WR in a stacked WR draft. And at this stage we don't even know how good that 1 WR even is.

RB: Bringing in Gore. Made no sense and still doesn't. I don't want to hear this is a Gase thing. Gase isn't the GM. JD is, he has the final decision in this. There's no reason at all a 37yr old RB should've been brought in on this team.

Edge: We did nothing at Edge really. We brought back Jenkins cheap, who has done relatively nothing this season. Drafted Zuniga who hasn't even seen the field yet, so we can't judge him. But there was plenty of opportunity to grab an edge via trade and even FA. And he did nothing.

Now I do have confidence that he values Edge and it will be addressed in the offseason. So we will see. At WR and RB, I still stand by that he doesn't value skill positions "too much"

We are certainly beating a dead horse here.  Would RA really have improved this team?  You don't have to answer to me, but at least be realistic in your observation about RA and his usage on the Jets with this coaching staff.  Geez, it is not like we let Jerry Rice walk.  Stop putting RA on a mantle.  If you want to argue that JD should have taken another WR in the draft, most would be with you on that.  But, for the love of God, let the RA thing go.

Gore absolutely was a gase get.  Do you really believe gase has no influence?  Just like wanting Bell gone, gase was probably banging on the table in front of Chrissy to get his way.  If I was GM I would be like fine, we will get him.  Just more rope to hang yourself with.  Please do not fool yourself  that gase has no influence on personnel matters with his direct supervisor who happens to own the team.  Unfortunately, we will never be 100% sure until or if gase gets fired and JD is the sole decision maker regarding the roster makeup. 

What EDGE was available?  Clowney?  He of the "I want $18M per year even though I had 3 sacks last year and never had double digit sacks?"  That Clowney?  Or may be it was Ngakoue who has not had double digit sacks since 2017 and was recently traded by the Vikes because they only have 1 win and know they are going nowhere with YN.  Plus YN want s $20M per year.  I bet the Vikes wished they did not make that trade.  But, hey, the 0 win Jets would be much better with him even if he chews up almost a third of our currently available cap room next year.

Guys, lets be realistic here.  Getting an overpriced player just to say "Hey we have an EDGE, now" even if he does little to improve this current team is not smart.  If we did not have so many holes to fill on this team and an EDGE is one of the few AND we have the cap space, then absolutely lets get Clowney and/or YN.

Maybe OTC can explain the YN thing better.  https://overthecap.com/vikings-trade-ngakoue/

Edited by xrade

17 minutes ago, xrade said:

We are certainly beating a dead horse here.  Would RA really have improved this team?  You don't have to answer to me, but at least be realistic in your observation about RA and his usage on the Jets with this coaching staff.  Geez, it is not like we let Jerry Rice walk.  Stop putting RA on a mantle.  If you want to argue that JD should have taken another WR in the draft, most would be with you on that.  But, for the love of God, let the RA thing go.

Gore absolutely was a gase get.  Do you really believe gase has no influence?  Just like wanting Bell gone, gase was probably banging on the table in front of Chrissy to get his way.  If I was GM I would be like fine, we will get him.  Just more rope to hang yourself with.  Please do not fool yourself  that gase has no influence on personnel matters with his direct supervisor who happens to own the team.  Unfortunately, we will never be 100% sure until or if gase gets fired and JD is the sole decision maker regarding the roster makeup. 

What EDGE was available?  Clowney?  He of the "I want $18M per year even though I had 3 sacks last year and never had double digit sacks?"  That Clowney?  Or may be it was Ngakoue who has not had double digit sacks since 2017 and was recently traded by the Vikes because they only have 1 win and know they are going nowhere with YN.  Plus YN want s $20M per year.  I bet the Vikes wished they did not make that trade.  But, hey, the 0 win Jets would be much better with him even if he chews up almost a third of our currently available cap room next year.

Guys, lets be realistic here.  Getting an overpriced player just to say "Hey we have an EDGE, now" even if he does little to improve this current team is not smart.  If we did not have so many holes to fill on this team and an EDGE is one of the few AND we have the cap space, then absolutely lets get Clowney and/or YN.

Maybe OTC can explain the YN thing better.  https://overthecap.com/vikings-trade-ngakoue/

So don't add talent in their prime bc we aren't a team that's winning? Great logic. Lets also keep in mind that these moves would have been made before the season. Where I don't think anyone in our FO would've thought we'd be this bad. So they would've been adding talent to a team that they thought was at least competitive. 

Your logic is pretty much saying only add talent via draft. Bc there's no sense of paying guys bc we aren't a good team.

YOU"RE GOING TO BE IN FOR A RUDE AWAKENING SIR

Bc we have like 90mill we will have to spend next year in FA and in the trade market. 

On 10/21/2020 at 5:16 PM, xenajets said:

But JD let our best receiver and Sams go to guy disappear when we had ‘plenty of cap room’. Oh and even better when we have a ******* global pandemic and can’t exactly train/rep with new guys. That’s why keeping your trusted players would of been good but nah JD knows best. Just like Mac and Idzik before him. 

He also didn’t go out and get some dynamic playmakers instead brought in:

-Perriman who had a few decent games for TB but has been a bust so far in his NFL career.

-Traded back in the second when Mims was available (good trade back but not exactly a ringing endorsement for Mims!)

-Frank Gore 🙄

So in a nutshell in a stacked receiver/playmaker class we **** the bed as usual. We also didn’t resign our big play wide out and also didn’t bring in talented playmakers around him (like CLE have done with Baker, BUF have done with Allen and the Ravens have done with Lamar)

OK not a bad post , that is my feeling also

22 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So don't add talent in their prime bc we aren't a team that's winning? Great logic. Lets also keep in mind that these moves would have been made before the season. Where I don't think anyone in our FO would've thought we'd be this bad. So they would've been adding talent to a team that they thought was at least competitive. 

Your logic is pretty much saying only add talent via draft. Bc there's no sense of paying guys bc we aren't a good team.

YOU"RE GOING TO BE IN FOR A RUDE AWAKENING SIR

Bc we have like 90mill we will have to spend next year in FA and in the trade market. 

You have skewed my reasoning.  YN and Clowney are talented but NOT $20M worth of talent.  Maybe they are worth $20M to a team like the Ravens, but with all the holes we need to fill via draft AND FA next year spending so much one one piece is not smart.  We currently have $72M not $90M.  Will we get to $90M, probably after cutting dead weight, but we do not have it now NOR did we have even $60M in space when the Clowney and YN signings took place.

I know you are not a fan of building through the draft due to the fact that ALL draft picks carry risk.  Understandable.  But, what teams have been built through FA and became great?  Oh they may have been good for a year like the Jets in the first season under Rex (I could be wrong on his first season), but does Pitt build through FA, Balt., KC, etc?  NO. They built their sustainable teams via the draft and supplemented or fixed a hole or two via FA.  We have more than a hole or two we have a damn sinking ship with a rip along the hull.  A patch won't save it, but getting the ship to dry dock and completely repairing it will.

Bobby, we have tried to add expensive talent in FA and we have failed.  Time and time again.  Hell, Bell is a great example.  Were you happy when Mac signed him?  How about Mosely?  Both those guys were arguably more talented at their respective positions than YN or Clowney.  Get this team in its feet, then as we get better with a core of young players and few holes, splurge on a big ticket FA.  Hell, man, you're a Yankee fan, how did all the big ticket FA's work for them in the 80's and 90's?  It wasn't until we got the core 4 and supplemented with good, maybe not great, FA's did the Yanks became a team expected to be in the playoffs every year since the 90's.

There is my logic.  And I believe you will be in for a rude awakening when JD's FA signings next year are not cap killers, but adding enough of them plus the draft thereby putting this team on a path of sustainable success.  The Jets will be playoff bound in 2022 and not because JD paid $20M to one player but because JD drafted well and got many players to make this a team on both sides of the ball.

19 hours ago, JetsandI said:

It's pretty common knowledge that everything Adams said to the media was a 100% a lie.  We had no choice but to trade Adams he didn't want to be here.