2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

2 hours ago, NewAge said:

I could see Douglas going with someone like Greg Newsome at 23 and then tripling up on offense with the day two picks. Maybe a couple guards and a weapon. 

I could see that as well. I’d still rather go OL or RB there. But won’t hate a CB there

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I won’t get into hype, that’s irrelevant to me. 

However the quick twitch and hip torque is next level for Wilson and that’s one of the many things that separates Wilson as a passer. 

Then you factor in his on the run accuracy, cross body throws, he throws with anticipation, throws his receivers open, off platform, arm angles to fit balls into different areas. He moves defenders with his eyes, kid just does so many things well and has room to grow. And it’s not like he has one year of tape where you can’t see growth, he’s shown improvement over his 3 years. He’s also a threat with his legs and opens up read option and rpo’s.

Then look at how easy he makes the game for his receivers. When they break off their routes they don’t have to wait for the ball because it’s ok it’s way and they just have to locate it and make a play. Wilson doesn’t wait for guys to be open. That 1/2 second difference is huge in the NFL because of fast players react. 

This ain’t to say Fields is incapable or doesn’t have strengths in his game because he does but there’s levels to QB play and Wilson is levels about Fields. IMO.

And this my disconnect - I just don't see Wilson as a level above Fields as a prospect. I haven't watched Wilson like I watched Fields, but man Fields in his last two playoff games was a sight. He left it all out there and showed that he can play under pressure (yeah, he lost to Bama, but he played well when you watch the game). There isn't a game on Wilson's record that matches what Fields did against Clemson last year. I just can't discount Fields ability to play big games and come out on top.

15 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

And this my disconnect - I just don't see Wilson as a level above Fields as a prospect. I haven't watched Wilson like I watched Fields, but man Fields in his last two playoff games was a sight. He left it all out there and showed that he can play under pressure (yeah, he lost to Bama, but he played well when you watch the game). There isn't a game on Wilson's record that matches what Fields did against Clemson last year. I just can't discount Fields ability to play big games and come out on top.

So nothing really tangible. You know who else played big in college? Tim Tebow. 

I think the chatter around using Darnold and 23 to move up is telling. While that’s not how the trade went down, I think the Jets covet guys at the top of the draft.

I think we are going to trade up in the first for someone like Vera-Tucker or Slater. Possibly with Philly at 12.

13 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I think the chatter around using Darnold and 23 to move up is telling. While that’s not how the trade went down, I think the Jets covet guys at the top of the draft.

I think we are going to trade up in the first for someone like Vera-Tucker or Slater. Possibly with Philly at 12.

Depends on what we give up, but I would not be mad at trading up for Slater.  

11 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Mark Sanchez won 4 on the road. 

Different argument.

Tebow is a great example of someone just having that intangible winner/clutch trait, which is why I agreed with the comparison. Watson is another great example of a guy who just has it in him, but unlike Tebow, he's an actual QB.

6 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

Different argument.

Tebow is a great example of someone just having that intangible winner/clutch trait, which is why I agreed with the comparison. Watson is another great example of a guy who just has it in him, but unlike Tebow, he's an actual QB.

It takes more, way more than that to be a great QB. 

9 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

Fields has a pro grade arm and mobility, and is physically about the same size. I don't see what he can't do that Zach can. If we're talking about some twitch trait or hip mobility, that's whatever to me. Field's can throw the ball all over the field and can run if needed, the rest is game processing.

And I'm just comparing Wilson's hype to Rosen's. People were enamored with Rosen, so much that they wanted him over Sam (and Mayfield), and I think it was because he was the dark horse candidate. Everyone wants unearth the next Mahommes, but I'd rather go the safe route and draft the guy who had sustained success in the NCAA over a guy who had one great year during a season that's already hard enough to evaluate.

I keep hearing this 1 year wonder stuff being thrown around and it's not just you but I feel that needs to be addressed.

Wilson as a true freshman completed 66% of his passes, with a very good 8.7 yards per attempt, and had 12 TDs to 3 picks a 4:1 ratio.  That's all as an 18 year old kid.

He's not really some 1 year wonder.  If not for an injured SO season he likely puts together 3 years of really good tape.

7 hours ago, SDotNova said:

I disagree.  JD isn't trading valuable draft picks.  He loves them too much.  You really think JD is trading 34 or our both 3rds to move up to 12 for one player.

OL is super deep so if anything they are trading down from 23 not up.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I disagree.  JD isn't trading valuable draft picks.  He loves them too much.  You really think JD is trading 34 or our both 3rds to move up to 12 for one player.

I absolutely hope he trades down at least twice on the first 2 days if he can. Day two is the value day especially for what we need and how we want to build. 

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

I'm hoping that his plan is to stay still at 23 and hope one of the OLineman he grades worthy of that pick falls to him. If not maybe think about going RB if he loves one there. But it's hard to predict bc we don't know who will be there... but I could see us going Creed Humphrey if a few of the top OLineman are gone. Grab the best C in the draft that can start immediately no question and move McGovern to LG.