2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

I'm on board with Wilson at 2.

Watching some film breakdowns of him (there's some good guys out there who breakdown film in good and bad ways).

Wilson's biggest issue seems to be playing too fast and not going through his progressions. What's worrisome about that is that he did that with having an OL that was giving him A LOT of time to throw. Which wont happen in the NFL. So him playing too fast with a good OL is something to worry about. If he's giving up on plays with having time... what's he going to do when he doesn't have time? A lot of throws where he missed wide open guys bc he didn't go through his progressions.

Hopefully these issues can be coached out of him. 

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

6 picks in first 107.  Isn't that enough?

Yeah I agree.  I could see him moving down at 23 or 34 for a future pick though.  Drop back a few spots add a future pick for doing that.  That gives him the ability to do it again in 2022 for 2023 picks etc.  That way he can keep the cupboard stocked for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Rockice_8

3 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

I disagree.  JD isn't trading valuable draft picks.  He loves them too much.  You really think JD is trading 34 or our both 3rds to move up to 12 for one player.

OL is super deep so if anything they are trading down from 23 not up.

We’ll have to see. I just go back to last year where JD had a predraft trade ready in case he wanted to jump up for a OT. He decided not to and got Becton. But the thought of jumping up was there.

In 2020 we had a trade ready to go with Jax at 9. But once The OT fell, we called Jax and said we are staying put.

Edited by SDotNova

1 minute ago, SDotNova said:

We’ll have to see. I just go back to last year where JD had a predraft trade ready in case he wanted to jump up for a OT. He decided not to and got Becton. But the thought of jumping up was there.

Don't remember that.  I'm sure he would consider moving up but not in round 1 of I had to guess.  It's just so expensive to do it in round 1.

Now on day 2 if he has his target and he wants jump a few spots to secure him I could see that.  We have the capital and it's cheaper to move a few spots on day 2 compared to day 1.

We aren't 1 or 2 pieces away so I think JD will play it safer now.  Maybe in 2022 or 23 if Wilson is the real deal and we need that one player to push us into contention maybe he ups his aggressiveness.

4 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Don't remember that.  I'm sure he would consider moving up but not in round 1 of I had to guess.  It's just so expensive to do it in round 1.

Now on day 2 if he has his target and he wants jump a few spots to secure him I could see that.  We have the capital and it's cheaper to move a few spots on day 2 compared to day 1.

We aren't 1 or 2 pieces away so I think JD will play it safer now.  Maybe in 2022 or 23 if Wilson is the real deal and we need that one player to push us into contention maybe he ups his aggressiveness.

It was during the draft coverage. They had the Jax GM on the screen (pretty sure it was Jax GM). I recall it because I thought it was cool to see a GM receive a call from the Jets. It was a short call and he told the other people in the room “It was the Jets. They’re staying put.” We can fill in the blanks pretty easily from there.

I’ll try and find the video. But that’s going to be pretty tough to find. 

Edited by SDotNova

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Honestly the debate of what we are doing at 2 is over. Its a 99.9% chance we're drafting Wilson. So debating that pick is rather pointless.

What we do at 23 and 34 is what we should be talking about.

I'll probably be putting my one and only mock out soon but I'm leaning towards 

JOK LB from ND at 23

Carmen OG/OT from Clemson at 34

2 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

It was during the draft coverage. They had the Jax GM on the screen (pretty sure it was Jax GM). I recall it because I thought it was cool to see a GM receive a call from the Jets. It was a short call and he told the other people in the room “It was the Jets. They’re staying put.” We can fill in the blanks pretty easily from there.

I’ll try and find the video. But that’s going to be pretty tough to find. 

Cool I missed that.  JD seems to have a good feel for dealing with the quick pressure that come with a timed draft.  I feel good about him being in control of the situation.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I'm on board with Wilson at 2.

That’s because we shoved you on the train. I agree with you that he needs a little more patience and a little less movement. I like the idea that he can move well when the pressure breaks through and coupled with his off angle throws, we should see less ints and more completions than we saw with Sam. On plays that are not designed rollouts he needs a little more patience to scan the field. 

1 minute ago, xrade said:

That’s because we shoved you on the train. I agree with you that he needs a little more patience and a little less movement. I like the idea that he can move well when the pressure breaks through and coupled with his off angle throws, we should see less ints and more completions than we saw with Sam. On plays that are not designed rollouts he needs a little more patience to scan the field. 

Not at all. I stayed thinking the same the whole process. My 1st choice was trading for Watson (before his fetishes got exposed). My 2nd choice was keeping Darnold and trading back and acquiring a bunch of picks and surrounding him with talent. My 3rd choice was trading Sam and drafting a guy. I'm on board with Wilson at 2. I think 3 QBs have a good case to be the 2nd pick. And I wouldn't hate any of them. With digging deeper into the guys. I'd be happy with any of Wilson, Jones or Fields. If Jones goes to SF, I think he's set up the most to succeed. So don't be surprised if he's the guy we are talking about like Allen in a couple years. But I'll be a Wilson fan for sure. I just want us to get a IOL early and a RB in here to help out Wilson. I've stated several times I don't value LB enough to use a high pick on a guy. If we are drafting defense early it should be a CB. Not a LB or a DE IMO. I still think after drafting Wilson that giving him talent around him should remain the focus. Set him up to succeed.