2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

I found this write up on the state of our iOL. Decent read. One thing the article alluded to is that the “wide zone” system looks like it could mask deficiencies of the iOL.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/04/06/making-sense-of-new-york-jets-interior-offensive-line-situation/

This should not prohibit JD from getting a top iOL player, but maybe the coaches believe in our current players more than we do. 

Here we go. This guy talks about how there was a plan for Jax to drop back to 11. So that ties into the call that came during live coverage. I doubt I’ll be able to find that footage because I don’t even remember which network I was watching.

Really just putting it out there that Joe D likely thinks about moving up and down. And to not dismiss the tea leaves.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/silver-tua-was-not-the-plan-for-jaguars-in-draft

Edited by SDotNova

41 minutes ago, xrade said:

I found this write up on the state of our iOL. Decent read. One thing the article alluded to is that the “wide zone” system looks like it could mask deficiencies of the iOL.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/04/06/making-sense-of-new-york-jets-interior-offensive-line-situation/

This should not prohibit JD from getting a top iOL player, but maybe the coaches believe in our current players more than we do. 

It may just be as simple as allocation of minimal resources.  Perhaps they feel upgrades at other spots will be more beneficial due to lack of supply. 

As an example,  at #23, I see a significant drop off from Etienne to the next rb. I'm talking, a severe drop off.  In IOL I see great talent from 1-3. So If I'm JD I'm looking to fill holes early where the drop off will be significant. Perhaps JD and the coaching staff like a good number of mid/late IOL prospects and has plans to develop said talent. At this point, I'm gonna trust the plan. 

3 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

It may just be as simple as allocation of minimal resources.  Perhaps they feel upgrades at other spots will be more beneficial due to lack of supply. 

As an example,  at #23, I see a significant drop off from Etienne to the next rb. I'm talking, a severe drop off.  In IOL I see great talent from 1-3. So If I'm JD I'm looking to fill holes early where the drop off will be significant. Perhaps JD and the coaching staff like a good number of mid/late IOL prospects and has plans to develop said talent. At this point, I'm gonna trust the plan. 

Agreed for the most part except Etienne. For me, Harris is the best RB, hands down, in this draft. Etienne fumbles too much, which is correctable, and disappears at times. I see little drop off from him and Gainwell or some of the other prospects that can be had in the third round. I asked the question once before and I received no answers. What am I missing with Etienne that makes him a great prospect?  What can he offer that Gainwell, Carter, or Sermon can’t?

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Yeah I agree.  I could see him moving down at 23 or 34 for a future pick though.  Drop back a few spots add a future pick for doing that.  That gives him the ability to do it again in 2022 for 2023 picks etc.  That way he can keep the cupboard stocked for the foreseeable future.

Good idea.   stacking up future picks so we can burn a few good picks to trade up for a certain prospect next draft with Pre Draft activities return to normalcy (ish).

1 hour ago, Sapo28 said:

Anyone else catch the Wisco Whitewater reference in JD's press conference... 

I wouldnt be mad if we grabbed Quintin Meinerz in the 3 or 4th... 

He probably is only small school prospect that excelled at Senior Bowl.  It is hard to hide him.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Honestly the debate of what we are doing at 2 is over. Its a 99.9% chance we're drafting Wilson. So debating that pick is rather pointless.

What we do at 23 and 34 is what we should be talking about.

77 percent.  JD giggled at people making announcement about Wilson being #2.  He must be thinking of how gullible are we.😶

48 minutes ago, xrade said:

Agreed for the most part except Etienne. For me, Harris is the best RB, hands down, in this draft. Etienne fumbles too much, which is correctable, and disappears at times. I see little drop off from him and Gainwell or some of the other prospects that can be had in the third round. I asked the question once before and I received no answers. What am I missing with Etienne that makes him a great prospect?  What can he offer that Gainwell, Carter, or Sermon can’t?

You may need to go to NFL Draft thread to find information there.   I don't really care for identifying RB with highest chance to excel in NFL. 

For quicker thinking, Memphis and UNC have tendency of having athletic RBs.  Javonte Williams probably is the first "real" RB in last many years for UNC. Memphis' recent series of non 1st round ATH/RB offer real life in NFL.   Yes, college history does influence on their value at RB.

Sermon couldn't stay healthy. He is more of strong and quick hole hitter than actually rushes well.

Etienne has all tools to be successful NFL RB.  Fumble issue may be alarming but who knows he can tighten it up.  I didn't watch all of his fumbles but it could be mental related flaw. dunno.

2 hours ago, xrade said:

Basically, we have one pedigree OL.   Yeah, Jets have to collect talents for starting OL carefully. Don't want to fall into money trap if it doesn't pan out.

2 hours ago, xrade said:

Thanks for sharing. So maybe it’s prudent to grab a couple interior lineman in the mid rounds (3rd or 4th) instead of the 1st and 2nd. This draft is pretty deep at OL and there’s a lot of guys who are OT than can move to OG. 

Is there much of a difference with how GB and SF block their run plays? I’ve been under the assumption that the only difference between both offenses is that GB attacks more down field with play action whereas SF prefers to throw short and let guys run wild.

7 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Is there much of a difference with how GB and SF block their run plays? I’ve been under the assumption that the only difference between both offenses is that GB attacks more down field with play action whereas SF prefers to throw short and let guys run wild.

What's funny is that I was just comparing the offenses trying to figure it out. GB's offense is hard to compare to because they have Rodgers so they can do more. As for blocking, it seems close.