2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

25 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

What's funny is that I was just comparing the offenses trying to figure it out. GB's offense is hard to compare to because they have Rodgers so they can do more. As for blocking, it seems close. 

Good point on the Rodgers effect. Wish we’d know more of the X’s and O’s for next year. But I guess it’s to our advantage, from a player acquisition standpoint, not to let teams know exactly what we’ll be doing.

Still, I think it’s cool how the WCO can be varied. Wish I’d know more of the nuances to be honest.

45 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Is there much of a difference with how GB and SF block their run plays? I’ve been under the assumption that the only difference between both offenses is that GB attacks more down field with play action whereas SF prefers to throw short and let guys run wild.

How to spread the field depends on qb's strength.  49ers qbs have limited what Shanahan has envisioned for passing offense.   Rodgers is well you know.

4 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Good point on the Rodgers effect. Wish we’d know more of the X’s and O’s for next year. But I guess it’s to our advantage, from a player acquisition standpoint, not to let teams know exactly what we’ll be doing.

Still, I think it’s cool how the WCO can be varied. Wish I’d know more of the nuances to be honest.

"I don't run the ******* West Coast Offense" Kyle Shanahan said.

46 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Is there much of a difference with how GB and SF block their run plays? I’ve been under the assumption that the only difference between both offenses is that GB attacks more down field with play action whereas SF prefers to throw short and let guys run wild.

Some good insight here that I'm stealing from another forum.. (I'm convinced this is Jetskid):

The 49ers scheme (and wide zone in general) is all about stretching the defense wide right (C/RG/RT) and cutting off the backside defenders (usually LT/LG) on runs to the right, and runs to the left usually results in the entire offensive line stretching horizontally left in order to set up play-action/boot-action rollouts. Thus, the LG tends make more vertical blocks and/or works upfield in this running scheme, whereas the RG is consistently making lateral blocks. The RG technique is similar to what a tackle's would be. They mix in other gap schemes so you'll notice there's a higher emphasis placed on strength/toughness for the 49ers OL then you would've seen in the Mike Shanahan days, where fleetness and agility were the priorities.

Not sure whether Cam Clark has what it takes to be a starter, but my guess he'd be prefered at LG. GVR is better suited on the left for the same reasons. I don't think it's a coincidence that Shanahan utilizes much lengthier, versatile guys/former tackles at RG throughout his 49ers tenure either... 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, xrade said:

Agreed for the most part except Etienne. For me, Harris is the best RB, hands down, in this draft. Etienne fumbles too much, which is correctable, and disappears at times. I see little drop off from him and Gainwell or some of the other prospects that can be had in the third round. I asked the question once before and I received no answers. What am I missing with Etienne that makes him a great prospect?  What can he offer that Gainwell, Carter, or Sermon can’t?

The entire package. Etienne can run with power, speed, catch and block. Hes a 3 down rb. Gain well, Carter and Sermon are not. Imo. 

35 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Yeah, it's going to be pretty hard for teams to game plan for us in the beginning. It's even challenging to judge the type of players we would go for because our coaches didn't have a huge impact on roster decisions. So they could have very well just made the best of what they were given vs what they actually wanted. 

ML was a part of the Falcons offense when they went to the superbowl. That offense attacked down field a little more because of the weapons they had. Mims & Davis are two guys that can average +15ypc. So the directions they can take this offense is wide open pending on how well our QB does. 

46 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Some good insight here that I'm stealing from another forum.. (I'm convinced this is Jetskid):

The 49ers scheme (and wide zone in general) is all about stretching the defense wide right (C/RG/RT) and cutting off the backside defenders (usually LT/LG) on runs to the right, and runs to the left usually results in the entire offensive line stretching horizontally left in order to set up play-action/boot-action rollouts. Thus, the LG tends make more vertical blocks and/or works upfield in this running scheme, whereas the RG is consistently making lateral blocks. The RG technique is similar to what a tackle's would be. They mix in other gap schemes so you'll notice there's a higher emphasis placed on strength/toughness for the 49ers OL then you would've seen in the Mike Shanahan days, where fleetness and agility were the priorities.

Not sure whether Cam Clark has what it takes to be a starter, but my guess he'd be prefered at LG. GVR is better suited on the left for the same reasons. I don't think it's a coincidence that Shanahan utilizes much lengthier, versatile guys/former tackles at RG throughout his 49ers tenure either... 

Good insight minus Jetskiid ;) I do think the OL we have we don't hate. Or else we would've done more there in FA and via trades perhaps. I still think we draft a guy high though to start at 1 of the OGs spots. 

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Sermon couldn't stay healthy. He is more of strong and quick hole hitter than actually rushes well.

The couple of OSU games I watched, he looked damn good. Against Clemson, he was the best player on the field. 

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Etienne has all tools to be successful NFL RB

I just can’t get past his disappearance in big games. Where was he against OSU when they needed him?  First ND game? Clemson obvious the O ran through Lawrence, but that means he should have more of an impact. 2 one hundred yard games out of 12. We can draft a RB in third round or later with even more upside.  Etienne has bust written all over him. 

If we are going RB I want Williams.  Looks the part of a 3 down back with fantastic balance.  Would be a nice fit for our zone blocking.  Lacks the game breaking speed and not elite pass catcher but still serviceable there.  I think his vision, balance, and physicality will translate well for us.  Not a home run hitter but seems like a guy that will hit those chunk plays and always fall forward keeping us in 3rd and short.  Between TJ, Coleman, and Perine we should have enough guys that can catch.  

Top of the 3rd round would be perfect for him if he gets there.

• Like 1