Jump to content

2021 Draft Thread


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, KodiakThunder said:

I'd be a huge fan of moving back a few spots at grabbing Newsome II if Harris, Surtain, and Horn are all gone. 

I get the feeling Fairly's injury concerns will have him fall. I also dont see JD using a prime pick on anyone with existing medical concerns. This team cant afford to waste a 1st on a guy who may not be healthy. We just dont have the talent to overcome if he cant play. 

From the sounds of the experts he shouldn’t have any trouble recovering and will be fine next year. He was a top 10 pick only a couple of weeks ago and the best cb on the board. If we can get him at #23 I’d be so ecstatic. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, xenajets said:

15.5 sacks in his last full year. Sat out 2020 because of covid as did many top prospects. Not sure how anyone can argue he doesn’t have evidence to back his claims as a first round pick. 

Are you really going to throw a stat at me?  Watch the tape. A lot of his sacks were cleanup or after the QB stepped up. He will fall. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, xrade said:

Are you really going to throw a stat at me?  Watch the tape. A lot of his sacks were cleanup or after the QB stepped up. He will fall. 

You said nothing to back it up. He got 15.5 sacks. How’s that nothing? I get he may not be your favourite prospect but you can’t argue he doesn’t have facts to back his round one status up because he does.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, xenajets said:

You said nothing to back it up. He got 15.5 sacks. How’s that nothing? I get he may not be your favourite prospect but you can’t argue he doesn’t have facts to back his round one status up because he does.

He definitely might fall, he was a top 5/10 guy in the pre-season because the expectation was that he’d take a leap from his 2019 season but now there’s just no idea to know how much better he’s gotten. I have him a top 20/25 prospect but I’m not a GM. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

He definitely might fall, he was a top 5/10 guy in the pre-season because the expectation was that he’d take a leap from his 2019 season but now there’s just no idea to know how much better he’s gotten. I have him a top 20/25 prospect but I’m not a GM. 

Oh he absolutely may fall. But this notion of him not having the goods to back it up is pure false.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, xenajets said:

You said nothing to back it up. He got 15.5 sacks. How’s that nothing? I get he may not be your favourite prospect but you can’t argue he doesn’t have facts to back his round one status up because he does.

You should know me better than that. I don’t look at stats. They can be too misleading. I like to watch or rely on others on this site.

Miami has some good DE’s. Much like Pitt. The O has to account for both sides of the DL, so there are frequent single matchups. He has looked good against lesser talent, but a lot of his production came when others forced the QB up or out. I see too much Clowney bust potential in him. Couple that with his less than stellar pro day and a year off, and he very well could drop to mid second round.  There have been quite a few edge rushers drafted high based off one good season that have flamed out. I just don’t see the talent that will propel him to double digit sack guy in the NFL. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, he's one of the guys I would consider at 23 if he's there. On defense, it's Parsons, Horn, Farley, Phillips, and Rousseau I would consider. 

I do think there is a great chance the pick is AVT or Slater, but it depends on how JD feels about the rest of the class depth. If he feels like he can get a defensive prospect at 23 and still pick a starting OG in the 2nd, he's probably going to do it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Honestly, he's one of the guys I would consider at 23 if he's there. On defense, it's Parsons, Horn, Farley, Phillips, and Rousseau I would consider. 

I do think there is a great chance the pick is AVT or Slater, but it depends on how JD feels about the rest of the class depth. If he feels like he can get a defensive prospect at 23 and still pick a starting OG in the 2nd, he's probably going to do it. 

I just don’t see the need for DE that high this year. On D, boundary CB, OLB. I think there will be a good iOL available at 34. If there is no CB or OLB worthy of 23, just play it safe and draft the best OL. Better yet, trade down a bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to spark a little conversation during these lean football news times, I will pose a question.

What FRP or picks do you think has the highest bust potential?  Bust being defined as definitely not living up to draft status not necessarily out of the league in a few years. Also bust potential can be due to lack of talent, medical, or bad system fit.

For me it’s Mac Jones and Jalen Waddle  My reasons:  Jones will be another Bama FRP QB who will make a living being a subpar starter but will last a long time bouncing around as a backup  Waddle has just never showed the ability to take over a game on a team stacked with O firepower  He will make a living, certainly, but not at the mid first round draft pick level. He will really need to go to a team that has a good QB and will use him well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, xenajets said:

From the sounds of the experts he shouldn’t have any trouble recovering and will be fine next year. He was a top 10 pick only a couple of weeks ago and the best cb on the board. If we can get him at #23 I’d be so ecstatic. 

If that were the case he'd still be a top 10 pick....no?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Rousseau being out of 1st round is strongly possible.

For me what’s hurting these Miami Edge guys is that they all produced. I just can’t see Phillips, Rousseau and Roche all being great at the next level. But their play at the U, says they should. So I think it’s a system thing. Like a Texas Tech QB for example.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, NewAge said:

I think we’re collectively discounting the possibility that the Jets trade around a lot in the draft, especially during day two. 

Ya it’s worrisome if you ask me.

That trade down last year with Mims on the board pissed me off. And we got lucky he was still there. 99% of the time, that doesn’t happen. Quality outweighs quantity at a certain point. And quite frankly we have plenty of quantity these next 2 drafts. So let’s focus on quality now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Ya it’s worrisome if you ask me.

That trade down last year with Mims on the board pissed me off. And we got lucky he was still there. 99% of the time, that doesn’t happen. Quality outweighs quantity at a certain point. And quite frankly we have plenty of quantity these next 2 drafts. So let’s focus on quality now.

I mean I wasn’t only referring to trading down. It’ll ultimately depend on the board and maximizing value. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...