2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

11 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Let's look at who's a lock to go in the 1st 22 picks. 

Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, Jones, Fields, Pitts, Chase, Smith, Waddle, Sewell, Slater, Surtain, Horn, Darrisaw(14) 

I think those 14 are locks. That leaves us with the possibility of one of these guys at 23. 

Jenkins, AVT, Parsons, Farley, Newsome, Collins, Philips, Paye, Harris. That's 9 off the top of my head. 

I think you could make an argument that those 23 players listed could all be top 12ish picks.

Can't wait to find out who will it be.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I get that... but you pretty much have 22 starters. So when we have existing talent. 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds this year, 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds next year, the FAs we added, etc. It’s about quality but quantity. We need to quit filling backup and ST roles. And get starting offensive and defensive talent. You accumulate a lot of mid round and late round picks... and that’s generally what you get. Just draft the starting talent right in front of you.

Nobody is arguing against what you are saying. I merely pointed out that with a deep position group such as iOL, maybe getting the “second best iOL” and a TRP vs the consensus best is a better option.  Since the bulk of our team is made up of mid round draft picks, would it not be nice to have as many opportunities to fill this roster?  I am not advocating passing on a talent of which the position group is questionable after the fact (OT comes to mind). I used AVT as an example of maybe moving down a little and taking the next best iOL? Would you be against that?

1 minute ago, JetsandI said:

I have been searching for suppers for draft nights.  Buffalo chicken and pizza are big NO NO because I am tired of monotonous meals for those events. I have only two so far.  Any better idea?

Mexican Tortilla casserole

Chorizo meal

Shawarma. Can’t go wrong wrong with Shawarma and a dark beer. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xrade said:

Nobody is arguing against what you are saying. I merely pointed out that with a deep position group such as iOL, maybe getting the “second best iOL” and a TRP vs the consensus best is a better option.  Since the bulk of our team is made up of mid round draft picks, would it not be nice to have as many opportunities to fill this roster?  I am not advocating passing on a talent of which the position group is questionable after the fact (OT comes to mind). I used AVT as an example of maybe moving down a little and taking the next best iOL? Would you be against that?

The words around that Jets have eyed for Humphrey and Dickerson but they don't fit ZBS.   Jets have eyed for a several mid-late round prospects and they happen to be ZBS material OL.  I know it is a rumor but that way I think Jets should take Vera Tucker in 1st if available.  Also, Jets need to remember that Jets aren't only team that seek for OL help specializing in ZBS.

3 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

The words around that Jets have eyed for Humphrey and Dickerson but they don't fit ZBS.   Jets have eyed for a several mid-late round prospects and they happen to be ZBS material OL.  I know it is a rumor but that way I think Jets should take Vera Tucker in 1st if available.  Also, Jets need to remember that Jets aren't only team that seek for OL help specializing in ZBS.

But doesn’t the blocking scheme require a straight ahead mauler and an athletic iOL? We would need both. 

2 minutes ago, xrade said:

But doesn’t the blocking scheme require a straight ahead mauler and an athletic iOL? We would need both. 

Lateral agility is number one priority for that scheme. If you happen to have strength in OL then you can use inside blocking ( turn into vertical).

Humphrey has athleticism as his pro day indicated but he never had understanding of using ZBS. That guides amateur scouts to believe that he doesn't fit in ZBS.  Heavily coaching is required for him. 

Dickerson doesn't have enough quickness and agility to play wide zone blocking (lateral). Best suit for inside zone blocking or gap power.

Yes, it is possible that JD and Saleh want to have OL that can do all but it won't be easy to get together swimmingly.   Athleticism deficiency is the main reason.

21 minutes ago, xrade said:

Yes I would. I’d just draft AVT in your example. Sub in Jenkins there too. And the reason is Bc of the position group. For me the OLineman in Rounds 1 and 2 are vastly better than the ones in the mid rounds. I really only like a couple OLineman in that 3rd or 4th round area. Where as for example I like apt of CBs and LBs in that area. So I’d rather grab the great talent that will be a starter for us. Then pass on them and hope a guy later can start and add a pick for depth. 

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

I have been searching for suppers for draft nights.  Buffalo chicken and pizza are big NO NO because I am tired of monotonous meals for those events. I have only two so far.  Any better idea?

Mexican Tortilla casserole

Chorizo meal

In the past I always took two aspirins before the draft and two pain killers after the draft. Let hope this year it will be different. If the first three picks go well for us I might have a beer or two while doing my draft chart on the computer. Even with all the good picks we have it is still going to take a little luck.

Maybe I am missing something with AVT. He was a OT in college, true?  Did he ever play OG?  Is he so much better than Creed or Dickerson?  Jenkins I understand because he can play OG/OT. If Fant fails then we already have an in-house option.