2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

I'm working on my next mock offseason. I figured I'd do one every 4 games. I did one after Game 4, so now I'll do one after Game 8. Funny thing is I looked at my after Game 4 mock and I had us still keeping Darnold. In just 4 weeks I have changed my thought process on that (while I think he's still not the problem).

But I will be posting my Mock on Monday more than likely.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I'm working on my next mock offseason. I figured I'd do one every 4 games. I did one after Game 4, so now I'll do one after Game 8. Funny thing is I looked at my after Game 4 mock and I had us still keeping Darnold. In just 4 weeks I have changed my thought process on that (while I think he's still not the problem).

Unfortunately Sam has done himself no favors.  I'm really starting to get those Sanchez vibes from Sam.  Can be successful is a great situation but if not will struggle.  The Jets are clearly not a good situation but Sam has far far to many problems pre snap recognizing the coverage/blitz and then missing open WRs when the OL holds up.

Sam has not been good and it may be time to start seeing he has some serious issues.

If you refer back to the article I posted in the Jets v Bills thread, you can see the poor decision making by Sam and you can probably find several of these "misses" per game.  He had Mims wide open in the flat inside the red zone, I believe at the 11.  He only needed to get to the 4 for a 1st down.  He completely ignored the bunch left-side WR formation, he ignored the fact that the Bills best CB (White) was on the right side covering a TE, he missed Hughes standing up indicating he would drop into coverage.  By the time he looked left and saw Mims all alone, he had to scramble and then tried to force the throw after the CB recovered.

It is possible, he was ordered to look right.  But, damn, he has to read the pre-snap D and know that right side, no bueno.  It was an easy 1st down and most likely a TD.  Sorry that is on Sam.  He is done in NY and this team will not go far with him at QB.  If Lawrence wants to avoid the Jets, **** him, take Fields.  If Fields is not an option, get Fitz, Rivers, Dalton, hell even, Brissett to hold down QB until we can draft one.  None of those aforementioned could possibly be worse than Sam at this point.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I feel it is way to early to put names on our draft picks, however how can anyone not be excited about us having six picks in the first 96 picks in the draft.

I Hate to be hypothetical but what if we pick TL or Justin Fields and we trade Darnold, that would give us seven picks in the top 96 players. The only thing is I really have no idea what we will get for  Sam,  I would love to see him have two or three 350 passing games, to build up his value. I would have to say this is going to be a make or brake draft for Joe Douglas.

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Unfortunately Sam has done himself no favors.  I'm really starting to get those Sanchez vibes from Sam.  Can be successful is a great situation but if not will struggle.  The Jets are clearly not a good situation but Sam has far far to many problems pre snap recognizing the coverage/blitz and then missing open WRs when the OL holds up.

Sam has not been good and it may be time to start seeing he has some serious issues.

The Jets have done him 0 favors. We have had one of the worst OLines and Weapons all 3 years of his career. This is why those groups should be nearly all we spend some money and high drafts picks on this next offseason. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The Jets have done him 0 favors. We have had one of the worst OLines and Weapons all 3 years of his career. This is why those groups should be nearly all we spend some money and high drafts picks on this next offseason. 

All true, but it does not entirely explain the INT's, misses, and lack of pre-snap D reading.  When he has had time or there is an open receiver he does not make the play consistently.  That is on on Sam.  Yes, the Jets may have very well broken him.  It may also be true that he just is not all that good.  Either way, he should not be under Center for the Jets next year unless he is just starting a few games so our rookie QB can learn a little.

Just now, xrade said:

All true, but it does not entirely explain the INT's, misses, and lack of pre-snap D reading.  When he has had time or there is an open receiver he does not make the play consistently.  That is on on Sam.  Yes, the Jets may have very well broken him.  It may also be true that he just is not all that good.  Either way, he should not be under Center for the Jets next year unless he is just starting a few games so our rookie QB can learn a little.

For me it does. I stated his rookie and 2nd year that not giving him an OL will create bad habits. And it has seem to. Even though the OL is improved. Its still not good. So he gets the snap and is worried, not confident. I think he misses open WRs bc of no confidence. Which with the play calling we have had, the weapons he has and OL... Why would he have confidence?

It's like golf (I'm an avid golfer). The more you think the worse you will play. I think Darnold is just thinking too much. gase has a complicated system and he has no help.

This has in turn probably ended his Jets career. But I stand by that he's not the problem. He isn't a superstar in the waiting either. But a change of scenery with actually good coaching, weapons and a OL... I think he will be a franchise QB for someone else and we will regret trading him if we don't get the right QB when/if we move on from him.

32 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Agreed we definitely need to improve the OL and weapons but Sam has been bad.  He's left so many plays on the field you can only point the finger at the team so much.  Eventually you have to make the right read and he just hasn't at all and it's becoming obvious.

There was another play the Cimini broke down in defense of Sam claiming that he nowhere to throw the ball when he most certainly did.  The Mims one on 3rd and 4 form the 11 was awful but so was this one.  We had a two TE set I believe and two WRs we left both TEs and the RB in to block (max protect) it was single high safety and the WRs both ran go routes.  The safety drifted over to one side leaving 1v1 on the other.  The WR had a half step and inside leverage on the CB and Sam held the ball instead of letting it rip and laying it out there for his WR for a possible big gain.  Never even gave his WR a chance.  BUF blitzed 7 and the protection held up long enough for Sam to get a good look at the coverage.  There were only two routes so not all that much to process. He instead took a sack.

Whatever the reason may be and it is probably a combination of terrible coaching a poor roster management by Mac but Sam is not playing well even when things go right.  He is not blameless in this mess, he needs to do better and he's not.

2 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Whatever the reason may be and it is probably a combination of terrible coaching a poor roster management by Mac but Sam is not playing well even when things go right.  He is not blameless in this mess, he needs to do better and he's not.

This hits the nail right on the head. This season has proven that Sam is not a top QB that can carry a subpar team. He’s absolutely not blameless, but he is a 23 year old who hasn’t had great coaching and has not been put in a position to succeed. 

I may be wrong, but Gase seems to have an overly complex system that may have worked for a veteran Peyton Manning but obviously doesn’t play to Darnold’s strengths. That plus the lack of protection and weapons has crushed this kid. Throw in Gase unwillingness to change his approach ( feature LeVeon Bell etc) and it’s been a disaster. 

36 minutes ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

This hits the nail right on the head. This season has proven that Sam is not a top QB that can carry a subpar team. He’s absolutely not blameless, but he is a 23 year old who hasn’t had great coaching and has not been put in a position to succeed. 

I may be wrong, but Gase seems to have an overly complex system that may have worked for a veteran Peyton Manning but obviously doesn’t play to Darnold’s strengths. That plus the lack of protection and weapons has crushed this kid. Throw in Gase unwillingness to change his approach ( feature LeVeon Bell etc) and it’s been a disaster. 

Every second half Gase tries to turn him into a pocket passer who just keeps dropping back and expects him along with the rest of the Jets offense to straight up beat their opponents, which is never going to happen.

25 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

There are rumors that the eagles are showing a very strong interest in Avery Williams. I think the Jets will move him for a low pick like a 6th round pick or so. 

Please let that happen.  Load up on these 6th rounders and see if we can get lucky on one.

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

For me it does. I stated his rookie and 2nd year that not giving him an OL will create bad habits. And it has seem to. Even though the OL is improved. Its still not good. So he gets the snap and is worried, not confident. I think he misses open WRs bc of no confidence. Which with the play calling we have had, the weapons he has and OL... Why would he have confidence?

It's like golf (I'm an avid golfer). The more you think the worse you will play. I think Darnold is just thinking too much. gase has a complicated system and he has no help.

This has in turn probably ended his Jets career. But I stand by that he's not the problem. He isn't a superstar in the waiting either. But a change of scenery with actually good coaching, weapons and a OL... I think he will be a franchise QB for someone else and we will regret trading him if we don't get the right QB when/if we move on from him.

I agree the Jets may have broke him and I have not said otherwise nor have I ever said the OL, weapons, and coaching were not an issue possibly stunting his development.  The point is that he is not performing.  Is it because the Jets damaged him or is it because he is not really a good NFL QB?  None of us know for sure and the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.  Three years we STILL don't know if he is a good QB or not.  He may resurface elsewhere and turn into a good QB after a mental vacation, but the time has passed for this team.  Move on and start over.