2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

2 hours ago, Starless said:

Curious to get y'all's thoughts on this scenario

Tough. it really depends on how Darnold ride out this season. I think a bidding war would take place and we wouldn't have a choice but to take the winning trade. Then maybe select Wilson or Trask later if we can't land a good back up. 

If the #2 team don't want us to trade the pick to someone else to get Lawrence, we might be able to get them to offer a great deal for the pick. So we'll come away with Fields and picks. 

On 10/20/2020 at 5:26 PM, J_E_T_$ said:

At one time JaMarcus Russell was someones best QB prospect of all time, at one time Johnny Manziel was someones greatest QB prospects of all time, at one time Robert Griffen III was the greatest QB prospect of all time and after his rookie year he was gonna shatter all Mike Vick plus Joe Montana records combined, I personally remember an "expert" saying Matt Leinart was the most complete QB ever to come out of college.  The Colts actually had considered taking Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning.  So when anyone says "You take the best QB prospect of all time and don't look back."  I laugh at all the other people who said the same thing and now look stupid.  Trading back for multiple draft picks gives you a higher chance of getting NFL players that will actually last.  Know why Bill Belichick always accepts trades to trade back..... he gets extra picks, and he is better at this than me or you.

Nobody ever said that about Russell, Manziel, Griffin or Leinart... all those guys except Russell weren't even the top QB taken in their draft, let alone not even the top pick.

Leaf, Russell, and Manziel had serious character issues that were grossly overlooked. Lawrence is squeaky clean with A+ character and has been so elite since his first day as a starter that he probably could have been the #1 overall pick if he were able to come out as a true freshman. It's actually insulting to put him in the same sentence as some of the biggest busts of all time.

Either you haven't watched Lawrence play much, or you have and don't see what everyone else sees. The best QB prospect OF ALL TIME. 

13 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Unfortunately Sam has done himself no favors.  I'm really starting to get those Sanchez vibes from Sam.  Can be successful is a great situation but if not will struggle.  The Jets are clearly not a good situation but Sam has far far to many problems pre snap recognizing the coverage/blitz and then missing open WRs when the OL holds up.

Sam has not been good and it may be time to start seeing he has some serious issues.

Also poor footwork, staring down his targets, scrambling into sacks... he is not the answer at this point for us. Maybe a change of scenery will help, but we need to move forward with the opportunity of a lifetime that is in front of us.

• Like 1

I wish people would just stop with this nonsense about T Law. He is not going back to school. He is graduating this year and if he does go back he can only hurt his stock not help it. Take a look at Matt Lienhart. He went back and was going to be a top 2 pick and need up in the middle of the draft. Now the next thing about T Law forcing a trade. This will not happen either. The only reason Eli forced a trade was that his dad Archie did this. His dad did not want him with the Chargers. This had nothing to do with Eli. T Law does not have that push like the Manning family does in the NFL. The last thing is that T Law wants to compete. He is a total package. This guy is top three best QB prospect to ever come out. You can even argue maybe #1. I think T Law, Luck and Elway are the best 3 prospect ever. Please don't put Payton Manning in this. You had GM fighting over who was better between him and Leaf. T Law will go out and be the number 1 pick. If the Jets are picking 1 he will be the pick unless some team is willing to trade something stupid like 5 first round picks or something like that. I Just don't see that first pick being dealt. The number 2 pick I can see being dealt. All this jib jab about T Law going back is just stupid and it gives the talk shows something to talk about. Just think about it. If he does not go to the draft you are going to have another very bad franchise pick 1 again. I think T Law see what Burrow is doing in Cinn and thinks I know I can do that with a bad team too. 

I think the media is making a bigger issue out of it than anything. Tlaw is 100% ok with saying the option of going back is on the table. I don't think he will. But why shut that window? So I don't blame him.

But here's why I think he wont go back. I think it will be between us and JAX for the #1 pick.

We have the NY market, so that allows for a lot of money opportunity besides just football.

Now the bigger stuff for us are this... we have a respected GM. So we have his track record to sell him on as well as 1 draft where he did address LT, 1 WR spot and a RB (probably a career backup). We also sell him on the future. We have 90 mill in cap space and a lot of valuable draft picks. So sell him on us upgrading the offense for him.

Lastly we will have a new HC. So we can sell him on whoever that guys mind is. Hard to write down the angle that we well him on without knowing who it will be. But its a change. So it's easy to sell.

So NY market, a good GM, money and draft picks and new HC are all things to sell him on.

9 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I wish people would just stop with this nonsense about T Law. He is not going back to school. He is graduating this year and if he does go back he can only hurt his stock not help it. Take a look at Matt Lienhart. He went back and was going to be a top 2 pick and need up in the middle of the draft. Now the next thing about T Law forcing a trade. This will not happen either. The only reason Eli forced a trade was that his dad Archie did this. His dad did not want him with the Chargers. This had nothing to do with Eli. T Law does not have that push like the Manning family does in the NFL. The last thing is that T Law wants to compete. He is a total package. This guy is top three best QB prospect to ever come out. You can even argue maybe #1. I think T Law, Luck and Elway are the best 3 prospect ever. Please don't put Payton Manning in this. You had GM fighting over who was better between him and Leaf. T Law will go out and be the number 1 pick. If the Jets are picking 1 he will be the pick unless some team is willing to trade something stupid like 5 first round picks or something like that. I Just don't see that first pick being dealt. The number 2 pick I can see being dealt. All this jib jab about T Law going back is just stupid and it gives the talk shows something to talk about. Just think about it. If he does not go to the draft you are going to have another very bad franchise pick 1 again. I think T Law see what Burrow is doing in Cinn and thinks I know I can do that with a bad team too. 

Agree with all, but the possibility for him to return or pull some other crap is there.  It may be low, but it is there as it is there with all draft prospects.  Because he is so highly regarded and the Jets are dealing with the NY hacks, you are going to get this media garbage.

2 hours ago, xrade said:

Agree with all, but the possibility for him to return or pull some other crap is there.  It may be low, but it is there as it is there with all draft prospects.  Because he is so highly regarded and the Jets are dealing with the NY hacks, you are going to get this media garbage.

Already the sports show hosts are telling T L if he get drafted by the Jets to pull a Eli Manning & John Elway, act and refuse to sign with the Jets. The Jets support of Darnold,  since he was drafted was horrible, lousy O line, Bell was a total disaster at running back. the WR core was the worst in the entire NFL.. And the coaching was flat out garage. And those two clown owners the trust fund kid were no help at all. It would not shock me at all if we drafted T L and wants out of being a Jet. And you can't blame him.

59 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Already the sports show hosts are telling T L if he get drafted by the Jets to pull a Eli Manning & John Elway, act and refuse to sign with the Jets. The Jets support of Darnold,  since he was drafted was horrible, lousy O line, Bell was a total disaster at running back. the WR core was the worst in the entire NFL.. And the coaching was flat out garage. And those two clown owners the trust fund kid were no help at all. It would not shock me at all if we drafted T L and wants out of being a Jet. And you can't blame him.

Oh I think you can blame him. A true competitor would take the challenge instead of running away from it. Murray turned the Cards around and Burrow is turning Cinn around. I would also like to add that what team would he want to be on. All the good teams are set a QB. You would be looking at teams like Jags, Bears, (not buying Falcons they will keep Ryan), or Colts. Most teams are set at QB. He will have to wait years to get on the field and that will not happen. He will be a Jet if the Jets pick 1. 

2 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

Oh I think you can blame him. A true competitor would take the challenge instead of running away from it. Murray turned the Cards around and Burrow is turning Cinn around. I would also like to add that what team would he want to be on. All the good teams are set a QB. You would be looking at teams like Jags, Bears, (not buying Falcons they will keep Ryan), or Colts. Most teams are set at QB. He will have to wait years to get on the field and that will not happen. He will be a Jet if the Jets pick 1. 

Their are plenty of teams that would take T L  the  Redskins, jags, Bears, New England, Denver, Colts, Carolina, plus teams with QB's  who are getting old. The days of thinking a player would join a team to be a true competitor and take a challenge are over, Its all about money and being part of a playoff team, and a strong football organization which the Jets are not

Edited by doumeyer

50 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Their are plenty of teams that would take T L  the  Redskins, jags, Bears, New England, Denver, Colts, Carolina, plus teams with QB's  who are getting old. The days of thinking a player would join a team to be a true competitor and take a challenge are over, Its all about money and being part of a playoff team, and a strong football organization which the Jets are not

We are talking about a draft pick here, not an established FA.  If Lawrence any any draft pick refuses to sign for the team drafting him, that team holds the rights until the new league calendar year in which he would then be considered a FA and sign with any team he wishes. On other words, Lawrence or whomever, would sit for a year.  When has that ever happened?  Never, so so saying those days are over is a bit incorrect as they never happened in the first place.  Now, if Lawrence choses not to sign after the Jets draft him, they can trade his rights.  I do not think that has ever happened.  The other scenarios are the Elway and Eli situations.  The point is that something like this is very rare or never happened. 

We either draft and sign him or trade the pick for a draft haul.  Either way, The Jets make out.

2 minutes ago, xrade said:

We are talking about a draft pick here, not an established FA.  If Lawrence any any draft pick refuses to sign for the team drafting him, that team holds the rights until the new league calendar year in which he would then be considered a FA and sign with any team he wishes. On other words, Lawrence or whomever, would sit for a year.  When has that ever happened?  Never, so so saying those days are over is a bit incorrect as they never happened in the first place.  Now, if Lawrence choses not to sign after the Jets draft him, they can trade his rights.  I do not think that has ever happened.  The other scenarios are the Elway and Eli situations.  The point is that something like this is very rare or never happened. 

We either draft and sign him or trade the pick for a draft haul.  Either way, The Jets make out.

Who is talking about FA ? T L is the kind of player who comes along every five to ten years. Remember the chargers drafted Eli Manning, and they were forced to trade him to the Giants. Same deal for John Elway. Both Elway & Manning each won multiple Super Bowls. Do you even know who the players the Chargers, and Colts got for trading two super stars????  It is fair to say the Jets will loss out if they are forced to trade TL. And getting draft picks for him is no way a win win situation. Number one we will still not have a QB who can take us to the Super Bowl and that is the bottom line. A little history for you young guys, the Year we drafted Joe Namath, number one he was also drafted # 1by the St Louis Cards. Our owner in those day was Sonny ( as in money ) Werblin, was no way he was going to lose Namath. We don't have that kink of ownership any more. END OF LESSON for today.