2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

1 minute ago, JetsandI said:

If a draftee refuses to sign a rookie contract and sits out for year then he will re-enter a draft.

It has never happen before, and it won't happen now. No owner will lose the first overall pick in the draft and get nothing.

1 minute ago, doumeyer said:

It has never happen before, and it won't happen now. No owner will lose the first overall pick in the draft and get nothing.

Precisely but I would rather T Law or Fields be honest with Jets before the draft.   I don't want to see new soap opera there.

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Who is talking about FA ? T L is the kind of player who comes along every five to ten years. Remember the chargers drafted Eli Manning, and they were forced to trade him to the Giants. Same deal for John Elway. Both Elway & Manning each won multiple Super Bowls. Do you even know who the players the Chargers, and Colts got for trading two super stars????  It is fair to say the Jets will loss out if they are forced to trade TL. And getting draft picks for him is no way a win win situation. Number one we will still not have a QB who can take us to the Super Bowl and that is the bottom line. A little history for you young guys, the Year we drafted Joe Namath, number one he was also drafted # 1by the St Louis Cards. Our owner in those day was Sonny ( as in money ) Werblin, was no way he was going to lose Namath. We don't have that kink of ownership any more. END OF LESSON for today.

You are assuming Lawrence will pull an Elway or Eli and we will be left with little. Wrong.  At least that is how you are portraying it. If Lawrence declares, there would certainly be a media firestorm about him not wanting to play for the Jets. At the combine, if he does not want to play for the Jets, he would most certainly tell them at the the Combine interviews.  Point is the Jets would be fully aware of  Lawrence’s desire to not play for us and can move onto plan B.

If Lawrence does none of that AND the Jets draft him AND he refuses to sign, he sits a year. I thought he would then be a FA free to sign with any team at the conclusion of the 2021 season. Jets and I stated he will renter the draft.  I am NOT talking about regular FA which you seem to imply, I am referring to something that has never happened before which you seem to think happens on occasion. It does not.

My point still stands, either Lawrence is a Jet if he declares and we select him or he is not and we get a draft haul to move back. We still win. I would not want a player on this team if he is so adamant about not being here. We just went through that.  IMHO this is just speculation. Lawrence would most likely not declare if he wants to avoid the Jets and we just take Fields or trade down. Another win. 

4 minutes ago, xrade said:

You are assuming Lawrence will pull an Elway or Eli and we will be left with little. Wrong.  At least that is how you are portraying it. If Lawrence declares, there would certainly be a media firestorm about him not wanting to play for the Jets. At the combine, if he does not want to play for the Jets, he would most certainly tell them at the the Combine interviews.  Point is the Jets would be fully aware of  Lawrence’s desire to not play for us and can move onto plan B.

If Lawrence does none of that AND the Jets draft him AND he refuses to sign, he sits a year. I thought he would then be a FA free to sign with any team at the conclusion of the 2021 season. Jets and I stated he will renter the draft.  I am NOT talking about regular FA which you seem to imply, I am referring to something that has never happened before which you seem to think happens on occasion. It does not.

My point still stands, either Lawrence is a Jet if he declares and we select him or he is not and we get a draft haul to move back. We still win. I would not want a player on this team if he is so adamant about not being here. We just went through that.  IMHO this is just speculation. Lawrence would most likely not declare if he wants to avoid the Jets and we just take Fields or trade down. Another win. 

Elways threatened to play MLB permanently.   Eli got lucky because both Chargers and Giants were in need of new qbs.  No idea what would happen to Eli if Giants weren't into him.   

In T Law, he will likely get lucky because there are about 4 or 5 teams that seek for new qb in the wing.  JD can get draft haul either before or after drafting T Law but it is risky because Jets still have chance of missing out next qb in various situations.

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Precisely but I would rather T Law or Fields be honest with Jets before the draft.   I don't want to see new soap opera there.

Dont let media and fans fool you into thinking that this will happen. If the Jets pick #1 and Lawrence enters the draft then he's a Jet unless we dont want him.

2 hours ago, xrade said:

That idea of moving back for draft picks, how far back??? If we move to far back we don't Fields. If you feel that Darnold is the guy to take us to the playoffs with the picks we get from trading the # 1 pick that is fine. but god help you if you are wrong. For me I would let everything run its course if we end up with the Number 1 pick just take T Lawrence. One thing is for sure the Trust funds kids will be making the final decision on the #1 pick if we still have it. 

TLaw getting Covid could easily not be anything for the Hets or it could be huge.

I think Clemson beats BC tomorrow even without him. But where it gets interesting is if he can play next week against ND. Furthermore even if he can play and is still feeling weak from Covid if Clemson loses.

The best chance to “make sure” TLaw declares is that Clemson wins the NC and furthermore he wins the Heisman. There’d be no reason for him to stay at that point. So them losing risks that potential.

On a side note... Dabo yesterday said he’d be very surprised if TLaw didn’t declare. But also went on and said he has had couple players he thought would declare that didn’t. So he wouldn’t be surprised either.

Already you put a Jinx on T Lawrence, with your post he now has the Corona virus and will miss Saturday game. At least Atlanta won last night now they have two wins. The big worry is still Jacksonville ,the Giants should have no problem winning one or two more games.

38 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Already you put a Jinx on T Lawrence, with your post he now has the Corona virus and will miss Saturday game. At least Atlanta won last night now they have two wins. The big worry is still Jacksonville ,the Giants should have no problem winning one or two more games.

I think the opportunity for him is better in NY than Jax to be honest.