2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

Just to clear some things up. If a player skips the draft they are put back in the draft. Bo Jackson and Rocket Ismail did this. Rocket went on to play in the Canada for a year or two then was drafted by the Raiders. Bo was picked by Tampa and went and played baseball then was picked by the Raiders. T Law is not doing any of those things. I think he wants to be a Jet because there is a ton of money to be made as a Jet and he could be the king of New York if he turns it around and the Giants stay at the bottom. This is a great move for him as a competitor. He does not back down from a challenge like the Eli or Elway. 

53 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Just to clear some things up. If a player skips the draft they are put back in the draft. Bo Jackson and Rocket Ismail did this. Rocket went on to play in the Canada for a year or two then was drafted by the Raiders. Bo was picked by Tampa and went and played baseball then was picked by the Raiders. T Law is not doing any of those things. I think he wants to be a Jet because there is a ton of money to be made as a Jet and he could be the king of New York if he turns it around and the Giants stay at the bottom. This is a great move for him as a competitor. He does not back down from a challenge like the Eli or Elway. 

An example I point to as to how it can be an awful decision is Matt Leinart. Would’ve probably been the 1st pick (instead of Alex Smith) going to SF. He went back to school and didn’t win the heisman and lost in the NC to Texas. And then fell in the draft and did nothing in his nfl career. Costing him millions.

11 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

An example I point to as to how it can be an awful decision is Matt Leinart. Would’ve probably been the 1st pick (instead of Alex Smith) going to SF. He went back to school and didn’t win the heisman and lost in the NC to Texas. And then fell in the draft and did nothing in his nfl career. Costing him millions.

That is very true, you have to strike when the iron is hot. No way I see T L going back to Clemson for the 2021 season. Just because the Jets might draft him, even the thought of that is nuts. What he does after he is drafted is another story.

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

Thanks, I was not sure if they became a FA the following year or went back into the draft.  I also did not know Bo and Rocket did the this.  Bo knew.  I think speculating at such a remote possibility is moot at this point.  I am done talking about Lawrence and his potential Jets future until he makes his decisions.

What I just don't get about him going back let's say we dont land the number 1 pick next year.  It'll probably be a team like NYG, JAC, WAS.  What makes any of those locations better.  I mean seriously why should he trust any of those terrible teams.

It just makes no sense at all for him to go back to avoid us.  When you are the number 1 pick you go to a crappy team that's what happens.  We should have everything in place to be successful.  A good young QB, a franchise LT, tons of cap, extra draft picks, a new HC, a GM that gets it.  If we commit to building around him unlike Mac around Sam we have the tools to do it better then most.  We just have to make the commitment though but I think JD is smart enough to get that.  Only thing that won't change is our terrible ownership but what can you do.

To say he'd be better off in other places makes no sense to me.  I mean Min is cap strapped, NYG OL is pathetic, WAS and Jac are what they are.  ATL is at the cap and Julio is aging so they are about to start tearing it down.  We are ahead of where most other terrible teams are so we are in better position then most bad teams if you gave an honest assessment and not did the easy thing and pile on the Jets like the media typically does.

Edited by Rockice_8
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

What I just don't get about him going back let's say we dont land the number 1 pick next year.  It'll probably be a team like NYG, JAC, WAS.  What makes any of those locations better.  I mean seriously why should he trust any of those terrible teams.

It just makes no sense at all for him to go back to avoid us.  When you are the number 1 pick you go to a crappy team that's what happens.  We should have everything in place to be successful.  A good young QB, a franchise LT, tons of cap, extra draft picks, a new HC, a GM that gets it.  If we commit to building around him unlike Mac around Sam we have the tools to do it better then most.  We just have to make the commitment though but I think JD is smart enough to get that.  Only thing that won't change is our terrible ownership but what can you do.

To say he'd be better off in other places makes no sense to me.  I mean Min is cap strapped, NYG OL is pathetic, WAS and Jac are what they are.  ATL is at the cap and Julio is aging so they are about to start tearing it down.  We are ahead of where most other terrible teams are so we are in better position then most bad teams if you gave an honest assessment and not did the easy thing and pile on the Jets like the media typically does.

I would not be concerned with the Giants.  They believe they have a QB and will ride that out.  I see them drafting Sewell if he is available to them.  The only potential competitors for a QB at draft time would be Jax, Den, and NE.  Dallas is a wildcard, but I can see jerruh looking for a FA (Darnold?) or trade if he does not resign Dak.  Carolina and Detroit could be looking as well, but I do not think they will get in range.

We are set up nicely for the #1 pick right now. Atlanta won last night giving them 2 wins. The jags and the vikes play each other this season so that's another win for one of them. The giants still have to play washington and Dallas again which could go either way. It also seems clear we are worse than the other teams that can potentially land the top pick. 

Edited by mattmanz91

6 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

I think when it's all said and done, by the time we're on the clock at #1 overall, playing in New York will be a lot more appealing than it is now. JD didn't stockpile all this draft capital and cap space for no reason. He's far from done I would assume, as not only will Darnold yield at least a solid day 2 pick, but we have the ability to take on undesirable contracts and gain even more draft capital. We are going to be in a position for a rapid rebuild this go around, and we already have the franchise left tackle entrenched which gives us one less position to worry about.  Same concept applies for HC candidates, this is a great opportunity for any new coach to truly put his fingerprint on the team. I really hope we get a progressive offensive minded coach that can make Lawrence into a 5,000 yard passer year after year (i.e. Kingsbury/Murray in Arizona).

5 hours ago, mattmanz91 said:

We are set up nicely for the #1 pick right now. Atlanta won last night giving them 2 wins. The jags and the vikes play each other this season so that's another win for one of them. The giants still have to play washington and Dallas again which could go either way. It also seems clear we are worse than the other teams that can potentially land the top pick. 

I have no idea who we're beating with our upcoming schedule either. 

6 hours ago, xrade said:

They were not good with Minishew at QB. I se them getting another win. 

I scratch my head with this one. Minshew isn’t the Jags problem, imo, it’s more about their 31st ranked defense and 30th ranked rushing attack. He’s also been sacked 22 times (tied for 3rd most) so it seems like a safe bet that the OL isn’t that good . Meanwhile Minshew has a 94.4 passer rating, 13-5 TDs to INTS with 66% completion percentage, numbers that Sam would wish to have.

6 hours ago, Rich51 said:

I scratch my head with this one. Minshew isn’t the Jags problem, imo, it’s more about their 31st ranked defense and 30th ranked rushing attack. He’s also been sacked 22 times (tied for 3rd most) so it seems like a safe bet that the OL isn’t that good . Meanwhile Minshew has a 94.4 passer rating, 13-5 TDs to INTS with 66% completion percentage, numbers that Sam would wish to have.

Don't forget the questions about benching him.  To me, Minshew is like Darnold, neither team is that much better with them at starting QB.  Forget the stats, whether Minshew plays or not, he is not elevating the team.  I still think Jax wins one more game because they have a better overall roster than the Jets, but that is just a gut feel.

20 hours ago, xrade said:

Thanks, I was not sure if they became a FA the following year or went back into the draft.  I also did not know Bo and Rocket did the this.  Bo knew.  I think speculating at such a remote possibility is moot at this point.  I am done talking about Lawrence and his potential Jets future until he makes his decisions.

Sounds like you woke up on the wrong side of the bed today, but you are 100% right enough is enough on what Lawrence,  will do before and after the draft. Let put a end to this now.