2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

On 11/9/2020 at 7:40 PM, rickyt31 said:

Now Kiper is agreeing with me and says neither Fields or Lawrence is locked in. McShay also mentioned how close they are. 

If you really compare, there isn't much of a difference. I really really like Fields. He's going to be a star. 

I am not big fan of Kiper, he is wrong more than he is right , with that BEST PLAYER ON THE BOARD  for the next pick.

1 hour ago, Sapo28 said:

My only argument against him is the mountain of picks we could get for him. 

There’s nearly no offer I’d be ok with, if we were drafting 1st and he declared. It would have to be a package that included a franchise QB. And no ones trading a franchise QBs for a rookie. So in reality there’s no package I’d give up that pick for

• Like 4

On 11/8/2020 at 9:16 PM, rickyt31 said:

Good question. 

I've noticed that Law gets the ball out quick and rarely has to look for a 2nd option. Field's offense sometimes takes a second for the play to develop because they attack down field a lot. Fields does a better job with spreading the ball around, so that might work better for weaker teams who don't have a target that's open consistently. When Law was playing, it looks like the playcalls made him target Rogers more. Now the backup is in and Powell is getting the looks he deserves. 

They both move well in the pocket and are accurate. What I'm looking for is who can take hits and find their 2nd option better. They've already checked all the other boxes. Honestly, Joe Borrow is my favorite QB prospect I've ever seen. Law & Fields are in a tier below. Both have flaws. Lawrence doesn't look good when you take away his first option. Fields had games where his completion percentages looked pretty bad, but he was able to find the endzone multiple times in those games. It's going to take me the rest of the season to separate the 2. 

I guess I will need to watch real games not some games against lesser level teams.  Burrow was easy to read because he and his so so OL had dealt with a lot of high level pressures.

Just now, JetsandI said:

I guess I will need to watch real games not some games against lesser level teams.  Burrow was easy to read because he and his so so OL had dealt with a lot of high level pressures.

Burrow was the first QB I seriously couldn't find a flaw with during the final season. His pocket awareness was insane, he was reading defenses, everything he did was smooth, he scanned the field, and was accurate. 

I want to see Lawrence play a defense that can get to him and make him look for his #2 option more often in a bowl game. Burrow was sacked 34 times in his final season & Fields was sacked 31 times last season, but they still performed at a high level. Lawrence was sacked 17 times. Even in the LSU vs Clemson game, Burrow was sacked more and still crushed Lawrence stats. 

Is that Lawrence fault? no, his offense is quick release to option #1. But I'm concerned about the learning he'll have to deal with when he is getting hit a lot and has to scan the field more than he's used to. I want to see a bigger sample size of it. Burrow has been sacked 28 times this season, Herbert is at 14 right now, Murray was hit 48 times during his rookie year. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Burrow was the first QB I seriously couldn't find a flaw with during the final season. His pocket awareness was insane, he was reading defenses, everything he did was smooth, he scanned the field, and was accurate. 

I want to see Lawrence play a defense that can get to him and make him look for his #2 option more often in a bowl game. Burrow was sacked 34 times in his final season & Fields was sacked 31 times last season, but they still performed at a high level. Lawrence was sacked 17 times. Even in the LSU vs Clemson game, Burrow was sacked more and still crushed Lawrence stats. 

Is that Lawrence fault? no, his offense is quick release to option #1. But I'm concerned about the learning he'll have to deal with when he is getting hit a lot and has to scan the field more than he's used to. I want to see a bigger sample size of it. Burrow has been sacked 28 times this season, Herbert is at 14 right now, Murray was hit 48 times during his rookie year. 

I loved Burrow as a player. So I don’t want this to sound like I don’t think he’s good. But what Burrow had around him last year was just incredible.

2 STAR WR. One being the best in the nation in Chase. And Jefferson who is a star too and maybe the best rookie WR this year. Add that he also had CEH at RB. Marshall as a 3rd option at WR. Moss at TE. And several NFL Olineman blocking for him. It’s arguably the most talented team ever. So to compare stats, sacks, etc. is a poor comparison. TLaw has weapons but not like that. And he’s proven he can win with different players (he’s done it for 3 years with 3 different rosters). Where the only knock I had on Burrow was that he only played for 1 season. So the sample size wasn’t big. I knew he’d be good. But there were questions about it. Especially when he had what he had around him. 

Point being... TLaw IMO has 0 flaws besides his dumb looking hair 😉

23 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I loved Burrow as a player. So I don’t want this to sound like I don’t think he’s good. But what Burrow had around him last year was just incredible.

2 STAR WR. One being the best in the nation in Chase. And Jefferson who is a star too and maybe the best rookie WR this year. Add that he also had CEH at RB. Marshall as a 3rd option at WR. Moss at TE. And several NFL Olineman blocking for him. It’s arguably the most talented team ever. So to compare stats, sacks, etc. is a poor comparison. TLaw has weapons but not like that. And he’s proven he can win with different players (he’s done it for 3 years with 3 different rosters). Where the only knock I had on Burrow was that he only played for 1 season. So the sample size wasn’t big. I knew he’d be good. But there were questions about it. Especially when he had what he had around him. 

Just because Burrow was irrelevant at his first year with LSU doesn't mean he was one year wonder.   He was 2 year starter.   LSU OL always have NFL traits in them but their chemistry for LSU was not as good as OSU or even Clemson.  

OSU and Clemson have weapons around their stud qbs as well.   T Law fared better under pressure but he rarely got into trouble, anyway.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Fair point about the talent, but my focus was more on how well he performed in that game although he got sacked more. Those are the moments I look for. Law's talent wasn't that far off last season. Both have 1st round talent level RBs, stacked WR cores, and great Olines. Clemson defense was great. Only gave up 20 points once and no more than 15 in the regular season. JB comes in and throws 5tds and 0ints with almost 500yds like it was easy. It didn't matter how many times you hit him or the defensive schemes. He nearly saw everything. LSU doesn't have a history or QBs performing well. Here is a crazier stat, 27tds Vs 2ints against 7 ranked teams he played that season. It's translating to the NFL level now. He could end up getting sacked almost 60 times this season and still completing 67% of his passes while being in the top 10 in yards. Just wait until they add more around him. 

Lawrence and Fields are great, but that the things JB displayed that season was unreal. I'm looking forward to seeing how JD build around the QB. The potential trade targets, free agents, and draft class are loaded in the positions we're interested in most. 

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

Just because Burrow was irrelevant at his first year with LSU doesn't mean he was one year wonder.   He was 2 year starter.   LSU OL always have NFL traits in them but their chemistry for LSU was not as good as OSU or even Clemson.  

OSU and Clemson have weapons around their stud qbs as well.   T Law fared better under pressure but he rarely got into trouble, anyway.

LSUs WRs last year compared to Clemsons WRs last year isn’t even a comparison. Same goes for OSU

1) I really hope Pitts is there with the Seattle pick but I don't see it

2) I see everyone putting Thuney in mocks and some pretty much doing that in pen, what makes this a lock?

3) I'm backing off the Etienne train and would rather go QB, Pitts, OG or QB, OG, WR/TE.

The nice thing is if we do in fact get Thuney and a solid WR we will have a ton of flexibility where we can go. But regardless I still want to draft a burner at WR.